• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2010 QLD Club Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

How has Toua being going for the Reds?

Their could be 6 or 7 academy blokes in the Reds senior squad by season's end.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well who would have thought after three rounds that the reigning premiers (and reigning Aust club champions) and the beaten grand finalist from last year would be sitting second and third last respectively. Horror start for Brothers with 0 from 3. Should be quite a game over at Bottomley this Saturday when they visit the Tigers.

Just as strange to See Stingrays at the top (albeit a game in hand) and Norths up near the top of the ladder as well. Augurs well for the comp to see some of the traditionally weaker sides getting off to a flyer. Not sure whether SunCoast can sustain it but Norths could well be the bolter this season. Pretty dogged pack and an impressive backline.

D

Doc

spectator said:
Well who would have thought after three rounds that the reigning premiers (and reigning Aust club champions) and the beaten grand finalist from last year would be sitting second and third last respectively. Horror start for Brothers with 0 from 3. Should be quite a game over at Bottomley this Saturday when they visit the Tigers.

Just as strange to See Stingrays at the top (albeit a game in hand) and Norths up near the top of the ladder as well. Augurs well for the comp to see some of the traditionally weaker sides getting off to a flyer. Not sure whether SunCoast can sustain it but Norths could well be the bolter this season. Pretty dogged pack and an impressive backline.

Norths start well every year and then die. Their pre-season set up has been terrible for years, gets them wins early but by half way are back to easy beats. Would be nice if they could change that this year. The filth may be in a bit of strife if word out of the camp is anything to go by.

tranquility said:
The Tigers will be there or thereabouts, mark my words.

I had Easts as my favorites pre-season. Great group of Colts coming through and 3rd & 1st for last two years. Great young players. Coaching staff has dropped a bit but still solid. Not sure where I'd put them now though. Still top 4.

T

TOCC

Sunnybank Rugby Club just started the expansion of there club

Additionally the club also granted $25'000 for QLD schoolboys this year so teams from over the state can particpate

403-640-club-remake-1.jpg

404-640-club-remake-2.jpg

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
Doc said:
Noddy said:
Doc said:
The filth may be in a bit of strife if word out of the camp is anything to go by.

what do you mean? What is the 'word'?

Without getting too specific, let's just say "internal conflict".

c'mon Doc!!, we can handle it, give it to us straight, what is it?!?! Zane and Carl not getting along?, Miller trying to coach Colts and Grades?, don't rip the band aid off slowly, you know it hurts more that way, just grip it, and rip it!!

T

TOCC

Brett Stapleton is playing 13 for the Gold Coast..

Ive never seen much of Brett, but i was always under the impression he had speed but was lacking in practically every other facet of the game, seems a little strange then that they would play him at 13.. Maybe his time in Japan improved his skills..

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)
PumpkinHead said:
Would not surprise me to see some internal conflict there. With 2 very strong characters and one mouth piece running the backs!! There would be potential for Zane and Tom B to have conflicting ideas, this maybe a cause of friction, potentially both are having to take over the slack from carrying Carl's end of the bargain... From my time watching him at West's, I was surprised the reigning premiers got him on board!!Interested to see what the inside scoop is though from Doc... Spill the beans!!
[/quote]

Pumpkin, They are hard words regarding Carl Marshall. He has been the Australia A Schools coach, QLD Schools the last 3 years all undefeated. He is regarded by many as one of QLD brightest young coaching talents.
What were your obsevations? Did you play under him or coach with him? Would like to hear your thoughts?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
In Prem colts today Sunnybank thumped Norths 72-12 (around that) Wests got over Sunny Coast by 2 points and Uni got out of jail 32-27 over GPS.

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)
Pumpkin,

Interesting thoughts and observatiions. I cant comment on the situation at Brothers because I have know exposure to the goings on. I have worked with Carl on a number of occasions. He is one of the most proffesional and analytical coaches I have worked with. I also know with in the Reds/QRU he is thought of very highly. I also beleive that when he was not taken on by Wests Premier Grade he was approached by a number of Clubs in Brisbane and Sydney. So a lot of people have a high opinion of him.

I havent seen brothers play this year, they did beat Sydney Uni and have been poor since then (results). They do have a great playing roster and you would assume there is massive pressure to perform. You are right Carl will learn
and if allowed to stamp his philosophy Brothers would be the better for it.

Thanks for your thoughts, obviously we differ in opinions but your observations are thoughtful and with out malice.
I hope we hear more from you on G&G.

Cheers

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
This is not meant as either a testament to; or to defame Carl Marshall, however, let's get some facts (or something resembling facts!!)out there

Level 3 Coach - attained 2008. He is professional is the way he goes about planning and preparation, good text book stuff. (I have seen him in action). His interpersonal and man management skills were not yet refined, but he was and is only very young.

2010 - Asst Coach Brothers Premier Grade, 0 from 4?!?
2009 - Head Coach Wests Premier Colts placing 5th, Asst Coach Queensland Schoolboys to Stephen Phillpotts who is 2010 Asst Coach Australian Schoolboys
2008 - Head Coach Wests Premier Colts placing 8th, Asst Coach Australia 'A' (2nd XV) Schoolboys to Craig Morrison who also remained 2009 Coach of same side before Morrison joins Randwick in 2010
2007 and before...unknown by me

Carl is well educated for rugby. He is a school teacher with access to great resources and time at Brisbane Grammar, however his President at Wests in 2009 had this to say in their Annual Report;

"It is not too harsh to say that, overall, the playing results for 2009 were disappointing and below expectations" He went on to say "The successful colts teams were Uni, Easts and Sunnybank"

Carl may be well educated and looked upon favourably by the establishment, however, his rep teams in my opinion could've coached themselves (have a look at the names in the sides!), and the teams that Carl has been involved with for an extended period of time (ie week in, week out) have under performed as best as I and the Wests Club President can see.

I do know that he is a deep thinker about the game, but I also do know that he is no "renaissance man", he is very set in his opinions; however, he will grow older, he will gain experience and he will soften and learn to learn from others whether they be mentors or players. I think he could be a future coaching star.

D

Doc

Funny how my comment about the filth turned into a Carl Marshall discussion.

From what the players have told me, he isn't bad or anything, but simply doesn't 'fit in'. As anyone would know, the filth is a very cliquey club in personality and selection (look at most players who change clubs to brothers, they play 2-3 grades lower than they should). I've also heard that he lacks confidence, especially when challenged. Prem grade is alot different than HS and colts, simply due to age and ability of players.

The main issues I have been made aware of come down to player attitude and disharmony. Same story as every underperforming sports team. Some players had to be separated on a recent club night.

I imagine this will all blow over and the filth will be solid again, but it is hard to bounce back from 0-4, especially in a comp as tight as Brisbane Prems.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Was at Bottomley Park on Saturday, and have to say that the result of the match was in doubt until right at the end. I did think Easts were the better side but Brothers had their noses in front until a Matt Brandon penalty at the death.

Kudos to the Easts pack. I thought they were pretty average in the precedfing two weeks but they really muscled up on Saturday. Exciting backrow with Quirk and Tupou there, which will only get better with the return of Bertini. The inside back combination gelled a bit better and it does benefit Easts to have the left foot/right foot kicking options of Walsh and Brandon.

Some interesting positional selections for Brothers with Damon Murphy at halfback. He made a fair fist of it as well. I've said it before but I think his brother Dallan at 10 is a very fair footballer. Dom Shipperly was at 13 and went alright. Pretty big boy! Looks to be a few new faces in the pack, and they obviously miss the likes of Crofty, Liam Shaw and Hardman.

Really strange to see Brothers at the bottom of the ladder, but I don't think that will last long.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While I am taking a little bit of pleasure with the Filth down the bottom of the table I hope that it isn't for long. They have a lot of talent there so they should change things around soon.

My bigger concern is what is happening at Sunny Coast. They play really well for a few weeks then they loose to Wests? I know they play better at home but I would have thought they would have had the measure of Wests.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
a little more I have heard about the Brothers situation.

Apparently Brothers players were openly talking at an after match function recently about their unhappiness with the coaching staff and the choice of captain. They are also unhappy with a new game plan that's been introduced, which doesn't seem to suit them.

Now a lot of that may be the fact that they're bottom of the log but apparently Zane is not a happy camper and he had a public blow up with a guy that questioned him showed there is a whole heap of internal conflict and pressure being felt at the club.

D

Doc

Noddy said:
They are also unhappy with a new game plan that's been introduced, which doesn't seem to suit them.

A player mentioned that Zane seemed to panic when all his assistants went elsewhere and changed everything. As you mentioned, the new style doesn't suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.