• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2010 QLD Club Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Geronimo

tranquility said:
If Matt Brandon's performance on the weekend didn't get some attention from Mr McQueen, something is wrong.

You are correct here Tranquility. I went along to this game with a mate (he is mates with the captains of both Sunny bank and Easts so it was an interesting situation) and Matty Brandon was very good. Brandon has a healthy understanding with his halfback Dom Fuller. Aiden Toua was average at the start but came good and was dangerous. It is interesting to note that by the end of the game there were four of last years Aus schoolboys on the field. Not a bad effort. Gill, Toupou, Lucas and PAE. The future looks good

T

TOCC

Grandmaster Flash said:
TOCC said:
Sunshine Coast have picked up a new openside flanker, 5/8, inside centre and outside centre from the Air New Zealand Cup for 2010. They had a solid pack in 2009 so it will be interesting to see what the backs can do behind them.

It may be a rumour but I heard today Sunny Coast had been propped up by a wealthy businessman who has some injected some serious cash to fill out their playing roster with the ANZC players. Anyone heard this?

I have heard that the Stingrays have a quite fruitfell financial set up, but im not sure of the details behind it. It would mke sense considering they signed Toutai Kefu as well as all the ANZC players.

T

tranquility

A strong stingrays setup is a good thing for rugby in Queensland.

C

chief

Rugby in the Sunshine Coast has been boosted. They will be hosting the Junior State Championships which is usually hosted at Nudgee.

T

TOCC

tranquility said:

100% agree, its also a tick in the box for the way that the QRU has gone about expanding the competition, by having these unions put forward a single representative team for the region is a fair practical way of expansion.

Going off murmurs, dont be surprised if the Darlin Downs in included in the Premier Grade competition in the 2011 competition. The DDRU looked at the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast and have replicated how these two unions operate, established a proper coaching and team managment set up and have shown a big improvement since last year.

Darling Downs also has the benefit over other unions like Townsville due to proximity, Townsville are keen to enter premier grade but the cost of transport is a big hurdle for the QRU.

G

Geronimo

TOCC said:
tranquility said:

100% agree, its also a tick in the box for the way that the QRU has gone about expanding the competition, by having these unions put forward a single representative team for the region is a fair practical way of expansion.

Going off murmurs, dont be surprised if the Darlin Downs in included in the Premier Grade competition in the 2011 competition. The DDRU looked at the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast and have replicated how these two unions operate, established a proper coaching and team managment set up and have shown a big improvement since last year.

Darling Downs also has the benefit over other unions like Townsville due to proximity, Townsville are keen to enter premier grade but the cost of transport is a big hurdle for the QRU.

This would be a big leap forward in ensuring the future strength of Queensland rugby. It has defs helped here on the Coast and on the Sunshine Coast. The Darling Downs produce many good juniors that somehow fall through the cracks

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Geronimo said:
TOCC said:
tranquility said:

This would be a big leap forward in ensuring the future strength of Queensland rugby. It has defs helped here on the Coast and on the Sunshine Coast. The Darling Downs produce many good juniors that somehow fall through the cracks

I have heard that Sunnybank Sports Club might help out Townsville get involved in Premier Rugby. That may help out with transport.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
After one round of Premier Colts perennial finalists Easts and Uni are on the bottom of the table. Will be interesting to see if that changes over the next few weeks.

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)
Jets,

East were percieved by many, including myself to be red hots for Prem colts. Trial form and the first round has shown other wise. Uni Colts recruited well unfortunatley the Colts are playing Premier Grade, Junior Rosalea and Tevetia ??

There are some great matches this week. Marist Old boys (GPS) V the Filth should have a bit of extra spice this year.
MArist Ashgroves 1st XV Luke Beauchamp Captain did the unthinkable and joined the bretheren instead of rolling down the Hill to GPS. In the Trial Beauchamp had his ribs broken by one of his former School mates. I think the Filth will be too strong.

The Bank take on the Dogs (Wests), Wests have shown good form during the trials and beat the Bank. The bank will
have Liam Gill and Paul Alo-Emille in the starting XV. The Dogs have lost thier skipper and no.7 Ford Statham for at least half a season. It was shaping as a great match up against the Pin up boy of Qld rugby and The boy with the Pin Up Girl Friend. (I suggest you get down to Sylvan Rd the next time Statham is playing). Wests have also lost Hard running No.8 Nemiah Tupusse to Premier so they will be weakened and the bank should win.

The other match of Interest is Gold Coast v Easts. Gold Coast have drawn little attention, the Tyranny of distance I guess.
They have star N08 Jared Butler and many of the Southport first XV. Unfortunatley Buttler is injured and seems to heading for a season with Premier Grade. The result of this game should provide an indication of how good Coast are and if East are as good as many thought.

A cracker of a round, I might head to GPS wearing my "God is Protestant Shirt" and a copy of the Davinci Code.

M

Marshall

What do we think are going to be the good match ups this weekend for RD 2??

Tim Walsh is playing for the Tigers at 5/8 and Brando is back to 15.

Norths look good this yr big pack.

Can GPS roll the Flith this weekend? For mind this will be a great game.

Gps have good back three with the two young wingers that look the goods.

Curtis Franks is back to from a leg injury and having his first start this weekend for GPS.

Also I wonder how Sunny Coat will go on the Road?? Always easier to win at home.

Looking forward to it

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
welcome to the board Marshall.

I look forward to more contributions. GPS boy I assume? Good lad.

As Juan Cote has said, this is shaping up as an excellent competition this year. Lots of quality and anyone (other than Wests) could upset anyone.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
Marshall said:
Can GPS roll the Flith this weekend? For mind this will be a great game.

I see that the this fixture will be the pick of the round across all grades. Both Jeeps and the Brethren are said to have amazing levels of depth throughout the grades.

Jeeps might be missing Lee Tomiki through injury but there have been rumours of Elia Tuqiri and Daniel Heenan being down at Yoku Rd throughout the week and with the likes of Chris Nadolo, Curtis Franks and Tongan International Sam Satui; Jeeps will be the place to be on Saturday.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Lion said:
The bank will have Liam Gill and Paul Alo-Emille in the starting XV. Somebody please report how the TH side of the Sunnybank scrum went. In fact every week on this matter. Thanks.

A cracker of a round, I might head to GPS wearing my "God is Protestant Shirt" and a copy of the Davinci Code. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: She would be highly amused reading that.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Lee, if PAE keeps playing Prem Colts then the THS should dominate against all the other teams.

Lion, I watched the GC v Uni game last weekend. I thought Uni had the better of the first 15-20 mins but for a couple of wayward passes would have scored twice. GC scored twice in that time to compound the errors and like any good team they got better as the game went on. GC have 2 very good back rowers in Aiden Aberg and Steve Finigan. I think they will make the top 4.

Wests have a lot of players from IGS 1st XV 2008 and I thought they would do very well this year having had a year of Colts together.

I am looking forward to seeing how all the teams go this weekend.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Marshall said:
What do we think are going to be the good match ups this weekend for RD 2??

Tim Walsh is playing for the Tigers at 5/8 and Brando is back to 15
I think you will see Walshy come off the bench. Could be a good game given the Coast beat Uni last week.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Not sure whether to post here or on the Tipping page??

The Sunnybank front row of Anae, Avei and Edwards is a damn strong one for a club side.

Interesting to see Stapleton at fulback for the Coast. Will be there for the game (then a quick dash to Suncorp) so will see how he goes. Obviously Quirk not back yet for Easts, I wonder how long. Tuapou at 7 will be another to watch for Easts.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
here is good.

Both Luke Morahan and Adam Byrnes are playing for Uni today too.

There is an outside chance I will go to watch this game.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Tuapou went pretty well last week and it was the Easts backrow that dominated and won the game for Easts

I'm heading down to GPS this afternoon, hope they don't pass the plate around at half-time.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fulltime scores in Round 2 of Queensland Premier Rugby:

Sunnybank 37 bt Wests 14

Gold Coast 29 drew Easts 29

GPS 38 bt Brothers 29

Souths 36 bt Norths 27

University 25 bt Sunshine Coast 6

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
I thought the score in the GPS match was 38-27....no matter

Ray Stowers 2 tries for GPS and my man of the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.