• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2010 QLD Club Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well down at the Coast the localsgot off to a very good start. Easts is a class team and they came back well, but indiscipline cost the\m a win in the end. nice old fashioned prop stoush between Slipper and Ritchie in the second half..

Johnny Wilder, the Easts Winger scored an eye catching try, and Toby White was strong at 13. Also liked the work rate from the Easts N0.8. The number 12 from the Gold Coast caught my eye as well.

G

Geronimo

That props battle would have been interesting, I didn't see the game. Both young bulls, who got the better?

S

scrubber

Geronimo said:
That props battle would have been interesting, I didn't see the game. Both young bulls, who got the better?

Didn't see the bull fight but mate of mine said went for about 40 seconds and all other players stayed out of it. Ref let it go no cards, penalties - great to see 2 young sluggers at end of game. Slipper won on points but both stuffed from throwing a million.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah, it was a good old fashioned punch up. Slipper had the better of it early but Ritchie bounced back with a few of his own at the end. As Scrubber said they bth threw a million each and looked stuffed at the end of it.

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)
Gents,

Any one see any of the games on the weekend.

I saw West V The Bank. It was reasonable game and West looked much improved. They are still a way off the pace. Lets hope for QLD rugby that they can once again be competitive. Tussy Polu?? for Wests was dynamic and well supported by Nemo Tupusee. Andrew Punch was a typical good open side giving 110%, he lacks a bit of pace and size to be a good flanker though. I often wonder if good openside share DNA with blue cattle dogs as they have very similar traits, sorry just my ramblings.
The BAnk were to well drilled and able to move the ball well. I was impressed with Albert Anae's ball running and handling skills. Young Lucas backed up from the colts game and played well.

I dont think either team will be title contenders.

I managed to see the last 20 mins of the Premier Colts. The game was already won by the Bank. I was looking forward to seeing Paul alo Emille dominate the scrum. I did see 3 scrums and on each occassion West were superior.
The West looseand po head was giving Paul Alo Emille a bath pped him twice.

Did any one see the game? Was this the Norm?

Cheers

T

TOCC

I dont think we can expect Paulo Alo Emille to be a dominant scrummager for quite a while, yes he is a schooboy prodigy, but he is still only just 18yrs old in a game of propping which is usually reserved for men.

Paul at a schoolboy level had a good rugby brain, he knew how to tackle, knew where to be, knew the correct lines to run, but at the end of the day when it came to scrummaging his skillset was more a natural attribute, his massive size and low centre of mass allowed him to dominate other schoolboy proper.

However at the premier grade level and more importantly at a Super14 level, he is going to need to improve his technical side of scrummaging, which is something that can only really be learnt through experience and exposure. His physical characteristics is a strong foundation, but he still needs to learn the technical side of the house.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Lion was saying he struggled in colts.

Then again, I have a sneaking suspicion that Lion may not be the most impartial man in this situation? ;)

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)
Noddy,

You are correct I was commenting on how Paulo playe din the last 20 mins of colts. He did get on in Premier grade and performed well from memory.

Why would you suggest that I would be anything but impartial. I dont have an allegiance to any club in Brisbane.
I do have good friends associated with the Dogs and I support Colts rugby. I dont likecertain old boy clubs, but I have never liked clicky gangs that base membership on your school tie, religion or socio demographic groups

Cheers

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I hear that Liam Gill will be starting for the Bank in Premier this weekend. Will be interesting to see you the fair against Souths.

M

Marshall

Hi All,

Sunny Coast lost there first game away from home I see. Will be Interesting to see how they go against the Tigers this weekend! Tigers have a red hot backline on paper with Brando and Walsh.

Other good match ups this weekend will be GPS V North’s. GPS have a few injuries so will be a good test if they can match the very physical North’s.

I see that Herman Porter has also left the Tigers and joined the student (2008 MOM in the GF Vs the Filth). He will had a lot of starch in the Uni “D”.

Look forward to all of your wrap ups

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Uni v Filth at Crosby will be a good challenge for the students after their defeat of the Sunny Coast last week. Brothers looking to get their first win of the year. On paper you would think that the filth would get the W but you never can tell.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Some good games this weekend.

Off to the Sunny Coast today. They are a bit of an unknown to me but I have heard that the seven or so new kiwis in the side have given them some starch. Easts will be stronger with Quirk in and Walsh in the run on side.

Crosby Park probably hosts the game of the round. Uni look stronger this year and the backline will benefit from having Morahan and Porter in it. But I don't think the filth have ever lost three in a row and their record at home is pretty impressive.

GPS v Norths will be interesting. Both have had good starts but I will back the Shaw Park boys.

Going to go with the Bank to get over Souths and Wests to upset the Gold Coast.

C

chief

At Brothers today.

Brothers have lost to University today 16 points to 12. In a game where the score line didn't flatter the better team. Both teams playing very conservative boring rugby. University scoring two tries, while brothers not crossing the line. Paul Marks yellow cards dominated the game, issuing 3 of them (Univerisity, 2, Brothers 1), eliminating deliberately slowed ball down in a bid to make the game more entertaining. Not too much of a crowd compared to the usual probably because of the rain. Slow ball from the breakdown really held Brothers back, while University number 1 was my man of the match.

C

chief

Results for today's matches. Thanks to the QRU

Sunshine Coast 20 (K Lang, M Blain, T Puki tries M Stone pen, con) d Easts 19 (T White, A Toua tries T Walsh 3 pen)
University 16 (J Hanson, I Prior tries J Lance 2 pen) d Brothers 12 (Dallan Murphy 4 pen)
Gold Coast 29 (J Monu, M Langmack, P Dumelow, R Morisey tries D Netherey 1 pen, 3 con) d Wests 10 (P Luafutu try, I Aokuso pen con)
Norths 36 (R Schultz, B Connor, M Bond, U Maninoa, E La Motta tries J Samoa pen 2 con L Samoa 2 con) d GPS 31 (L Tomiki 2 T Franks, S Poole, M Garland tries, M Garland 3 con) (Caxton Cup)
Sunnybank 36 (A Anae 2, O Avei, B Tapuai, S Seuili, S Tela tries S Tela 3 cons) d Souths 17 (J Tabrett, A Ketchell, P Fou tries B Hamlin con)

Premier Colts
Brothers 31 d University 18
GPS 17 d Norths 12
Easts 17 d Sunshine Coast 10
Gold Coast 25 d Wests 17
Souths 27 d Sunnybank 14

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Back from the Sunny Coast where the home side took the lollies with a try on fulltime. Funny sort of game that stopped and started the whole time. Quite a number of misdirected kicks from both teams and plenty of dropped pill.
Turinui made a massive difference to the Coast team when he came on and made two crucial breaks. Toutai Kefu also came on late in the second half. Gee he is a big man!

Easts had Walsh at 10, and it looked like the 9-10 combination probably needs a bit more time to click. Eddie Quirk is an agressive and committed player. Looks the goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.