• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Why is Tom Carter unpickable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

International Badboy

I think The reason Chariots is behaving like he is, is because he is one of those blokes who is told hes not good enough, and through application and general hard work has become a consistent franchise player, you only have to look at the way turner beale anesi reacted when he got his hatrick to see that he is a well liked player of the squad and one of those blokes who you want in a rugby team to boost morale, so for one i dont mind him celebrating a hat trick when noone expects him to score 1 try

C

centreman

How does the saying go "Lies,dam lies and statistics'.
Also being a subsciber to fox fantasy like Bruce I note that in this weeks dream team the inside backs based on round 17 stats are Tom Carter[76] Kurtley Beale[66]and Rory Sidey[62]. Remember this includes all Super 15 teams not just Oz conference.
Stats do help in getting rid of the subjective judgements on players [hair styles etc.] but if like Chris Hickey you rely on them too much you are doomed.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Bruce do you have some passing stats for Tom Carter compared to the other players you have used. It is my understanding that he passes the ball a great deal more than he is given credit for.

Forget about the stats of how many times he passes, tell me any of his passes that have first drawn in defenders & made room for his support players. i recall early in the season TC got through the line, had 3 or 4 options & looked like a rabbit in the spotlights.
he is a one trick pony. His crash ball is not good enough for test standard.
If you pick him in a test team you are merely trying to contain the opposition, not win, I have been through enough of this with the tahs.

C

chester

I like to watch
Carter is often criticised for not passing. The point I am making is I can't understand how Tom Carter is so maligned when someone like A. Fainga'a is so over-rated. They are similar players, however one is a Wallaby and the other is told he will never get a look in and is rubbish. The other point regarding him crash balling frequently is maybe he is doing what the coaches and team want hime to do by getting over the advantage line. He is simply following instructions

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I believe that the 'Tahs have cut down on offloading and are very much concentrating on securing the ball this year. Should TC have demonstrated an offload capability it would make him a much more likely contender for the Wallaby 13 jumper. Possibly even 12, but I think his skillset is better used at 13.

T

Tahfan

Carter has the luxury of playing with a backline that is a sound defensive unit - having Barnes playing inside you is different from playing outside Quade Cooper.

Except for the fact that Barnes has missed more than he has played this season.... Halangahu is worse defensively than Cooper!

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
So if Cooper has made 44 tackles and missed 23 and Hangers has made 67 and missed 26 which one is worse defensively?

T

Tahfan

So if Cooper has made 44 tackles and missed 23 and Hangers has made 67 and missed 26 which one is worse defensively?

given hangers has missed more tackles in less then half the time on the field I think that's blindingly obvious...

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Just so it might be clearer for you Tahfan

Cooper: made 66% and missed 34%
Hangers: made 72% and missed 28%

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I was surprised to see those stats - I recall Hangers being a pretty good defender in past seasons. Clearly dropped off somewhat.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just so it might be clearer for you Tahfan

Cooper: made 66% and missed 34%
Hangers: made 72% and missed 28%
In summary, both are shit defenders.

Let's have a closer look at both players. This season Cooper has attempted 4.5 tackles in each 80 minutes he has played and has missed 1.5 of them or 33%.

Halangahu has attempted 14.3 tackles per 80 minutes played and has missed 4.0 of them or 28%. He, of course, has to stand his ground when rampaging big forwards deliberately target his channel. Cooper, like the King on a chess board, is hidden in the background and has more expendable pieces to do the messy work of defending.

Halangahu had a shoulder operation immediately after the last Super season and therefore did not play a game until the start of this season. Cooper, by contrast, had played in the Tri Nations and the European tour.

Halangahu's first starting game this year was in Week 3 against the Crusaders. Short of match fitness and timing he had a woeful game defensively. He did not get another opportunity to start until Week 10 when he had to fill in at 12 because of the absence of Tom Carter. Another forgettable game in defence although there were numerous other miscreants in a game where the 'Tahs leaked 5 tries.

Daniel has started in the last three games and his defence has been much improved. Last weekend he attempted 19 tackles and made 16 of them.

Last weekend Quade attempted and made two tackles.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Halangahahahahu is about on a par with Tom Carthouse. Both are third-raters at the elite level.

At least Cooper has the excuse that he creates a lot of try scoring opportunities.

Halangahahahahu's excuse is - errrrr that he is a good goal kicker? His kicking out of hand has been pretty poor this season, lots of out on the fulls.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"Halangahahahahu". That's hilarious, wamberal. It takes me back to my pre-teen years where we used to get the giggles mispronouncing foreign sounding names.

"Carthouse"? I don't quite get that one.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
wamberal, Hangers has shown flashes of brilliance in his Tahs career. He'd be a fantastic fit for the ARC level.

Status
Not open for further replies.