• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You would think adding extra team and extra content you get more tv money and hence unless Stan/ nine stump up more cash it would mean adding the drua won’t happen unless this is renegotiated as part of next TV deal. RA has cut its cloth to survive with 5 Super rugby and wallaby funding to meet and won’t be bringing in the drua to take funds otherwise earmarked for oz teams/ wallabies. Hence all about commercials and extra tv money If drua was to join. I agree would be good if could happen as 6 team competition with 3 games per week better proposition.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Bottom line on all of this is that NZR have shown nothing in the last 12-18 months to suggest they are a trusted friend, and PLENTY to suggest we should be highly suspicious of anything they put forward.

Can not be trusted.

We should completely go it alone, other than a cross over - where and ONLY WHERE the proposal as it is put forward suits us.

Sadly I suspect we will head down "all bets on black 6". (Thanks for the correction ILTW, and it adds a nice twist to the concept.)

Even if I agreed with your comments re trusting etc which is just rubbish, the one thing that is very conveniently forgotten is that Stan/Nine agreemnet was only signed after Stan knew that there was going to be a comp with NZ. I hope you haven't forgotten that. So I take it you want a 5 team comp, with a little less money? Really for all the muscle flexing etc Stan will tell RA what comp they want, it tends to happen with TV stations and sport! The other small thing with players being able to play where they want, ask JOC (James O'Connor) what happened when he wanted to play for Chiefs? And I agreed with RA. But both countries have same rules about playing for home teams, that many on here seem to conveniently forget!
Oh I get it it's meant to be one way?;):p No fellas reality is we got what we got, and I still believe the best answer is a round robin comp is best for both countries, and I guess there about 6-7 of us on here are not going to influence any decisions. I actually believe that we are getting the best comp that we can hope for allowing for isolation of our nations , if we had the population and nearness of Europe and GB, we would all just fit teams into whatever comp fitted, but we don't so..................

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
It would be great if we could bring in the Drua - three games a weekend verse two is a big improvement.

That would be quite good, though probablt mean RA taking over backing of them instead of NZR, and would put 3 games in each comp per weekend, although just maybe teams would be keen on a bye being in comp, it does seem to help players etc.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Even if I agreed with your comments re trusting etc which is just rubbish, the one thing that is very conveniently forgotten is that Stan/Nine agreemnet was only signed after Stan knew that there was going to be a comp with NZ. I hope you haven't forgotten that. So I take it you want a 5 team comp, with a little less money? Really for all the muscle flexing etc Stan will tell RA what comp they want, it tends to happen with TV stations and sport! The other small thing with players being able to play where they want, ask JOC (James O'Connor) what happened when he wanted to play for Chiefs? And I agreed with RA. But both countries have same rules about playing for home teams, that many on here seem to conveniently forget!
Oh I get it it's meant to be one way?;):p No fellas reality is we got what we got, and I still believe the best answer is a round robin comp is best for both countries, and I guess there about 6-7 of us on here are not going to influence any decisions. I actually believe that we are getting the best comp that we can hope for allowing for isolation of our nations , if we had the population and nearness of Europe and GB, we would all just fit teams into whatever comp fitted, but we don't so......

Broadcasters will hold some power here for sure but I reckon they would be swayed by the model proposed this year of domestic and then TT if gets better viewer interest which I believe it would. The name of the game is also about developing lot of different products it can sell (think cricket business model) which this also supports. I agree the chances of nz or oz going it completely alone less likely as broadcasters would probably tell NZRU and RA to pull their head in as for all the arrogance and bluster it is the broadcaster who pays large part of the bills and hence have the power. Surely the broadcasters have learnt won’t work and they know oz fans won’t put up with another lop sided Super rugby competition but equally won’t support shrinking our way to greatness. I sometimes wish the broadcasters would more publicly tell the governing bodies to pull their head in as they are damaging their commercial product with some of the Stuff they do that alienates fans (RA traditionally but nzru more recently done good job to alienate and piss off bigger Asia pacific fan base ie both are guilty of this)

Ps dan54 RA is very open to open borders policy but won’t happen till nzru change their tune and of course that means oz wallaby players could play for nz super rugby teams and still be eligible for wallabies. So don’t understand the one way comment.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
The other small thing with players being able to play where they want, ask JOC (James O'Connor) what happened when he wanted to play for Chiefs? And I agreed with RA. But both countries have same rules about playing for home teams, that many on here seem to conveniently forget!

I'm pretty sure RA said they would be picking anyone from the NZ teams if there is a joint competition, JOC (James O'Connor) wanted an early release to go to the Chiefs - slight difference.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That would be quite good, though probablt mean RA taking over backing of them instead of NZR, and would put 3 games in each comp per weekend, although just maybe teams would be keen on a bye being in comp, it does seem to help players etc.

Could just have a mid-season break to give everyone a rest.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Keewees are not very happy about Mr Potatohead calling the deportees "trash". The Tories need to get it through their heads that a lot of their electoral support in NSW and particularly QLD comes us rah rahs.

We need the cuzzy bros more now than in normal times.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

It would be a 12 week schedule. A bye is a waste of time.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It would be a 12 week schedule. A bye is a waste of time.
I don't think it's a waste of time. But having an odd number of teams isn't really better for byes.

With an odd number, there has to be a bye every round. Teams don't want a bye in the early rounds.

Like you said, 7 teams in 12 rounds and two byes per team. But having 6 teams can do the same, yet be flexible on when scheduling those byes.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think it's a waste of time. But having an odd number of teams isn't really better for byes.

With an odd number, there has to be a bye every round. Teams don't want a bye in the early rounds.

Like you said, 7 teams in 12 rounds and two byes per team. But having 6 teams can do the same, yet be flexible on when scheduling those byes.

I just see the point of having byes in a 6 team competition. Particularly as it's only a short schedule anyway. IF we had 7 you are forced to.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Really? So how do you imagine they would survive without a cut?

And there is the question. If they can't fund themselves, Aus is not capable of doing it either at the moment. There opportunity seems to have just shrunk.

That is taking poor Aus rugby to extreme mate.

Really? AUs rugby has rarely been at such a low to that where we have been driven by Super and poor management. Focus on survival, then strength.

Benevolence can kick in after that.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Or have a midseason back to club round? All teams have a weekend off and play club footy.

If we were talking about a season of similar length to that of the AFL or NRL then fine. But 12 weeks the need for byes are negated. If we were to go with a domestic competition and then a TT competition we could schedule a break period between the two.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If we were talking about a season of similar length to that of the AFL or NRL then fine. But 12 weeks the need for byes are negated. If we were to go with a domestic competition and then a TT competition we could schedule a break period between the two.

How good does that sound. 12 week 6 team comp (3 games a weekend) then TT after a break. Someone get on the phone to McLennan.

On a side note: im super keen to see what the Reds and Brumbies can do against the Crusaders. I think the Reds probably don't have the discipline to challenge them (very similar to the blues) but the Brumbies could do it, IMO.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Ps dan54 RA is very open to open borders policy but won’t happen till nzru change their tune and of course that means oz wallaby players could play for nz super rugby teams and still be eligible for wallabies. So don’t understand the one way comment.
I didn't realise that RA has said they open to players from elsewhere, but that's a get out of jail excuse saying we will only do it if NZ do. But taking your point about evening up the comp, I take it if RA means it they will be directing players to the Tahs to strengthen them. Perhap have a draft system in Aus to start with, to show how good it works? At least if you have a dfart sysrtem in Aus you won't be almost forcing 18-20yo boys to go to another country, and we can see how well it works.
But I don't think evening out teams is all that great anyway, but as I said I got most of my rugby thoughts here in NZ, where the general thought is generally "F*** that team is bloody good, how do we improve ourselves to match them". I not saying it right, just how it always been for me, teams I coached even down to school level always loved trying to beat the the big schools, and so it went to club and provincial, we always wanted to improve enough to beat the big boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.