• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, I was listening to Lote Tuqiri on the Rugby Ruckus podcast and he advocated for three teams. Don't know how much he's thought about it. Interesting because it seems like a lot of former players are the ones bandying it around.

Seems like a lot of former players are keen. I can honestly see both sides of argument, the better quality rugby (which you do get, even if we enjoy what we seeing), vs more teams meaning more spots for young players. I am nowadays pretty neutral to whatever happens, (though perhaps prefer TT) because I know whatever the ex players or us think the TV $s will end up deciding what goes whether rightly or wrongly.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Seems like a lot of former players are keen. I can honestly see both sides of argument, the better quality rugby (which you do get, even if we enjoy what we seeing), vs more teams meaning more spots for young players. I am nowadays pretty neutral to whatever happens, (though perhaps prefer TT) because I know whatever the ex players or us think the TV $s will end up deciding what goes whether rightly or wrongly.

That sun in eyes is a bugger, perhaps balanced out on good to be more family friendly!

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting that NZ Head of Professional rugby is on the breakdown still stating NZ rugby's clear preference is for a TT comp even after RA have given the five or nothing ultimatum. Sounds like a min 10 team TT will happen, whether 2021 or 2022 is just a case of what Covid allows.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
How good is turning on great Australian rugby at 7:00 pm on Friday. And Saturday. Always. No thinking, the rugby is just on.

Cut to three teams to lose this.

This has been the best and most enjoyable domestic rugby season for me in several years and I include SRAU and SRA in that. Both comps have been entertaining for me and the convenience of being able to sit down at the times you mention and watch some footy has been tip top.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Interesting that NZ Head of Professional rugby is on the breakdown still stating NZ rugby's clear preference is for a TT comp even after RA have given the five or nothing ultimatum. Sounds like a min 10 team TT will happen, whether 2021 or 2022 is just a case of what Covid allows.

He also said they're planning for SRAo v2 as the most likely scenario for 2021 & they'd need to have any additional team(s) up & running by January at the latest plus that there's no point in having extra teams in 2021 & then dumping them for 2022 & beyond.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)

NZR has always said their preference was for a TT comp, of 8-10 team and with a PI team. Nothing has actually changed, just everyone reads whatever they want into it. A preference for a TT comp where all teams are financially sustainable and getting it could be 2 different things ( as Tahs are proving), but I never heard them say RA HAD to have less, the word always been used is preference!
Hell my preference is I get paid a lot more for jobs I do than what I get now, and I tell most people that, but I don't not do them because I don't get what I prefer, I do (as would NZR and RA) what the market dictates!

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not if you like drinking beer in the sun.

I like that bit, but Sunday evenings involve bringing kids to see grandparents and aunts for dinner, rotating between sides of the family. So means can't drink, but more likely means can't go or watch.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A 12 team TT competition with 6 NZ, 5 Aus and Fiji would suit me just fine. Preferably home and away for 22 rounds but could accept a 16 round competition with the 6 NZ teams playing one another H/A and then each of the 6 Aus/Fiji teams and vice versa for the latter.

If rumours were true about bay of plenty investment backing you would think Forrest would be supporting Fiji Drua - been very quiet on twiggy front and wonder what his plans are...you wonder if Forrest also has as condition for bay of plenty investment allowing 5 oz teams (ie including force)...anyhow just all speculation at this point

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
If rumours were true about bay of plenty investment backing you would think Forrest would be supporting Fiji Drua - been very quiet on twiggy front and wonder what his plans are.you wonder if Forrest also has as condition for bay of plenty investment allowing 5 oz teams (ie including force).anyhow just all speculation at this point

It would have something to do with the China Lions/China RFU connection that BOP have. Forrest is well aware of the requirement to maintain positive PR connections with China, you only need to look at how much tariffs on wine have impacted the share price of Treasury Wine Estate. If something similar happened to iron ore it could cost him $billions.

If Twiggy Forrest spends $10million on a rugby team, which somehow maintains a favourable relationship with a Chinese officials that have the influence to prevent tariffs been imposed on iron ore, then its probably a small investment to make.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It would have something to do with the China Lions/China RFU connection that BOP have. Forrest is well aware of the requirement to maintain positive PR connections with China, you only need to look at how much tariffs on wine have impacted the share price of Treasury Wine Estate. If something similar happened to iron ore it could cost him $billions.

If Twiggy Forrest spends $10million on a rugby team, which somehow maintains a favourable relationship with a Chinese officials that have the influence to prevent tariffs been imposed on iron ore, then its probably a small investment to make.

Yep point taken - broader Chinese interests likely behind this investment....

zer0

John Thornett (49)
What, exactly, is the relationship between the Chinese RFU and the CCP? It's a question I'm asking now, and would hope the NZ government to be asking if that proposal goes any further. Indeed, I might expect it of them if NZR's making a Pacific team a priority was driven by the government; something they hinted at a few years ago.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
A 12 team TT competition with 6 NZ, 5 Aus and Fiji would suit me just fine. Preferably home and away for 22 rounds but could accept a 16 round competition with the 6 NZ teams playing one another H/A and then each of the 6 Aus/Fiji teams and vice versa for the latter.

I don't see Fiji Drua playing Super, they are basically a team of Fijian residents playing to attract offers for a full professional contract to play in super or similar. As it is Force would need to buy at least 5-6 quality players to compete, and I not sure where Drua would get extras from, that is why most consider a PI team as alternative.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't see Fiji Drua playing Super, they are basically a team of Fijian residents playing to attract offers for a full professional contract to play in super or similar. As it is Force would need to buy at least 5-6 quality players to compete, and I not sure where Drua would get extras from, that is why most consider a PI team as alternative.

I imagine they'd get them from much the same place any other PI team would.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This has been the best and most enjoyable domestic rugby season for me in several years and I include SRAU and SRA in that. Both comps have been entertaining for me and the convenience of being able to sit down at the times you mention and watch some footy has been tip top.

Not after last night's display - that was pretty sad to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.