• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Super 8(Champions League) concept example, they want to sell the package to a host city within the Australasia timezone, Japan is the obvious country in mind with this concept.. I like it, it could be a real smorgasboard of rugby.

a9b3f6e8a25757fdbf3234837ae77814

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I wasn't following Rugby before the Force were involved but what was the player exodus like back then? Were the Skeltons, Kerevis, McMahons of early 2000s playing overseas already? Or has the player drain started much more recently. If so, why? Did UK + France not pay as much in those days?

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Super 8(Champions League) concept example, they want to sell the package to a host city within the Australasia timezone, Japan is the obvious country in mind with this concept.. I like it, it could be a real smorgasboard of rugby.

I definitely prefer the first option over the 2nd and quite like the idea of hosting it on our timezone and would be fine if it was hosted in one location.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Really like that idea.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)

I really like the concept, but they're dreaming if they think the Jaguares or Sunwolves will be involved, and I have to believe Rugby Australia know this.

Japan's team will be the champion of their new domestic competition, which seems pretty straight forward.

As for Argentina I have no idea, all the Jaguares players have signed overseas. Maybe the champion of SLAR, if that gets up and running?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I wasn't following Rugby before the Force were involved but what was the player exodus like back then? Were the Skeltons, Kerevis, McMahons of early 2000s playing overseas already? Or has the player drain started much more recently. If so, why? Did UK + France not pay as much in those days?

From memory there was drain but the vast majority were players who had 'done their time' and were seeking a few years sipping red wine in the south of France. Certainly not guys in the prime of their Wallaby careers like McMahon.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
From memory there was drain but the vast majority were players who had 'done their time' and were seeking a few years sipping red wine in the south of France. Certainly not guys in the prime of their Wallaby careers like McMahon.

Yep. Guys like Campese, Kafer, Lynagh and Pat Howard all spent time in the UK or Italy collecting their Euro/Pound pensions pre-retirement. FitzSimons was the first foreign player to ever play for Brive and spent his time writing a pretty s**t book about it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Early 000s you're talking about just recently professional. Guys in Italy, France were getting paid before officially professionalism but it wasn't much (just more than here).

So no France/UK weren't paying as much as here then but with millionaire owners and massive pay TV deals they're killed us in terms of revenue since then.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Early 000s you're talking about just recently professional. Guys in Italy, France were getting paid before officially professionalism but it wasn't much (just more than here).

So no France/UK weren't paying as much as here then but with millionaire owners and massive pay TV deals they're killed us in terms of revenue since then.

So, why do people think that we'll go better with only three teams? Is the logic that each team will have a greater amount of the pie to pay wages that compete with overseas?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Those people are in the very very minority I feel. There's no solid logic to it, just based off historical success when we had 3 and Ben Darwin's cohesion theory. 3 teams means less revenue so whilst there's less players to pay the pay off would be the same whilst reducing the depth and most importantly, the young talent coming through.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I really like the concept, but they're dreaming if they think the Jaguares or Sunwolves will be involved, and I have to believe Rugby Australia know this.
Yeah, it's ticking the boxes to maintain relationships which makes sense. Super will have to undergo changes and reduce scope, but there's still a need to co-operate particularly on tests and the like.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Those people are in the very very minority I feel. There's no solid logic to it, just based off historical success when we had 3 and Ben Darwin's cohesion theory. 3 teams means less revenue so whilst there's less players to pay the pay off would be the same whilst reducing the depth and most importantly, the young talent coming through.

Yeah, I was listening to Lote Tuqiri on the Rugby Ruckus podcast and he advocated for three teams. Don't know how much he's thought about it. Interesting because it seems like a lot of former players are the ones bandying it around.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

The argument that could be made is that with three highly competitive and in theory successful sides more people would tune int and help raise the value. But it's not necessarily backed up by much evidence.

dru

David Wilson (68)
The argument that could be made is that with three highly competitive and in theory successful sides more people would tune int and help raise the value. But it's not necessarily backed up by much evidence.

How good is turning on great Australian rugby at 7:00 pm on Friday. And Saturday. Always. No thinking, the rugby is just on.

Cut to three teams to lose this.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

Japan's team will be the champion of their new domestic competition, which seems pretty straight forward.

As for Argentina I have no idea, all the Jaguares players have signed overseas. Maybe the champion of SLAR, if that gets up and running?

SLAR got up and running this year but Covid intervened. Was was pretty good to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.