• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^ Explain to me again how Beaugan swapping capital cities would be good for the Wobs (or is that no longer a priority?)

EDIT: then explain how you propose to "make him", pretty sure you blokes outlawed slavery at some point in your history........

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^^^^ Explain to me again how Beaugan swapping capital cities would be good for the Wobs (or is that no longer a priority?)

EDIT: then explain how you propose to "make him", pretty sure you blokes outlawed slavery at some point in your history....
Im an ideas man i don't deal with the details. Big picture man.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dru

David Wilson (68)
Quicker just to cut the 4 Aussie teams to stop the losses.

YES, YES, YES.

That gives some honesty to the situation. Strangely enough, as an Australian rugby fan, sitting on by FAR the largest economy in the area, and in SANZAAR, my reaction is, OK bugger off. Please.

It's time to end the Super experiment in Aus, and move back toward grassroots rugby.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Oi, I am on to you! Not funny :mad:

No - you are not offloading the f#*%ing Auckland Blues on us!

If you want the diamonds you've gotta take some rocks as well. Sorry, that's just how it would have to work & anyway, wouldn't the NSW or Melbourne Blues be an upgrade? Bags CruSadists swap with Reds as it'd be cheaper for me to get to home games in BrisVegas than CheeChee :)

Reactions: mst

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
YES, YES, YES.

That gives some honesty to the situation. Strangely enough, as an Australian rugby fan, sitting on by FAR the largest economy in the area, and in SANZAAR, my reaction is, OK bugger off. Please.

It's time to end the Super experiment in Aus, and move back toward grassroots rugby.

Back to amateurism?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Back to amateurism?

Yes, and no. 'Amateurism' has a number of connotations.

It can be a shambling, bumbling ineptness—an apt description of the current administration. Yeah nah, we want to move away from that.

It originally had a meaning of "for the 'love' of" the game. Yes, bring that back.

For the mercantile-minded, it can be playing for no money. The Supe is a busted flush and will drain those coffers dry. So no, we want to avoid that kind of amateurism.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)

That's the biggest problem with the competition - it is purely a trial to get into a test team.

It would be good or the Wobs because the Brumbies would be competitive and therefore have more fans who have kids who grow up following rugby and one day aspire to play for them as opposed to the Raiders or GWS Giants.

Australians don't care for Super Rugby and as a result are turning off all pro rugby.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You seem to suggest the choice is a polemic NZ + professionalism OR amateur. Why would that follow?

As poor as the ARU have been I don’t the necessity for your options.

Okay, please explain how a domestic competition will pay for itself, because all the evidence is that it won't.

If it depletes our limited reserves, the end result will be no money. Thus players will not get paid, because there is no money in the bank.

Players who do not get paid are amateurs. Okay?

Maybe I am a bit thick, or something. But it seems to follow for me.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Okay, please explain how a domestic competition will pay for itself, because all the evidence is that it won't.

All evidence is that the current set up doesn't pay for itself either. My understanding is the majority of the cash comes from the test matches.

There would be less expense and clearly a demand from fox (I would like to also see FTA) for some rugby content. If you don't have to spend the same you can afford to take a cut in income.

I also think that you would allow the Wallabies to be picked from anywhere in the world until the comp got up and running and would save a fortune on player wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.