• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Argentina is the only out of place team in this scenario however this is simply just due to the direct flights from Beunos Aries.. I don't even know if they have direct flights from Aukland to Argentina? I do think Argentina will want to stay in the Southern hemisphere competition as opposed to joining pro14.. but idk where they stand
All flights to BA go via NZ from Australia.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Super 20

Australasia Division

Brisbane
Sydney
West Sydney
Melbourne
Perth
Tokyo
Singapore
Hong Kong
Beijing
Argentina

NZ/Pacific

Aukland
Wellington
Christchurch
Hamilton
Otago
Napier
Samoa
Fiji
Tonga
Honollulu

Argentina is the only out of place team in this scenario however this is simply just due to the direct flights from Beunos Aries.. I don't even know if they have direct flights from Aukland to Argentina? I do think Argentina will want to stay in the Southern hemisphere competition as opposed to joining pro14.. but idk where they stand.

Rest of the other international destinations outside of the respective conferences can be serviced by direct flights.

Obviously this plan is biting off more then we can chew. but getting a foothold into the American market is imperative. They have had time after time failed rugby union competitions in the USA and i believe it all boils down to the talent on offer in those competition. If you could get a USA team based in Honolulu with games played sporadically on the mainland you'd then have an avenue to tap into the amazing advertising revenue streams that USA has to offer.

There are direct flights between Auckland and Buenos Aires. Which is why the Jaguares should shift into the NZ conference.

I think you're looking at far too many teams to be honest. I'd go with two conferences of 7. Our five plus Japan and Hong Kong in one and the NZ five plus the Jaguares and either a supped up Fiji or as above a combined PI squad out of Hawaii.

Home and away for 12 rounds. Then play each team from the other conference once for 19 games and one bye week. top 8 finals. That would in effect provide far more content. Reduce the time zone issue to just one game every 2nd season.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
So I am assuming he has been asked by a journo if rumours from an unnamed source on a website is true,or has legs. Tell me what you would of said!

Of course denying it was his only option. I'm not disputing that. I suspect he's been blindsided by this report and is trying to placate the media while he gets on the phone to SA to figure out what the hell is going on.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
There are direct flights between Auckland and Buenos Aires. Which is why the Jaguares should shift into the NZ conference.

I think you're looking at far too many teams to be honest. I'd go with two conferences of 7. Our five plus Japan and Hong Kong in one and the NZ five plus the Jaguares and either a supped up Fiji or as above a combined PI squad out of Hawaii.

Home and away for 12 rounds. Then play each team from the other conference once for 19 games and one bye week. top 8 finals. That would in effect provide far more content. Reduce the time zone issue to just one game every 2nd season.

Don't like the idea of a combined PI squad workingclassruggers.

They should be individual nations. We'd obviously need to wait and see if the IRB would help finance these teams in the spirit of growing the game. But if the TV money is correct you could feasibly divy it up for the betterment of the competition where we can prop up these smaller nations.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Mix up the conferences rather than having them split purely along Aus/NZ lines. It gets tedious having the NPC replayed for half the season.

EDIT: But all hypothetical tournament building aside, this NZ Herald piece posits that the teams going to Europe will be upgraded Currie Cup teams, not the existing Super Rugby sides.

With the Cheetahs and Kings finding a home in the expanded Pro14, South Africa always intended to double its presence in Europe. That is, however, more likely to come from the promotion of the semi-professional Pumas, a South African team based in South Eastern Transvaal, and Griquas, who play in Kimberley.

After a tender process both teams were granted status as South Africa's seventh and eighth franchises late last year.

Furthermore, in an interview with the Herald last September, South African chief executive Jurie Roux clearly outlined the long-term vision for rugby in the Republic, stressing a continued focus on Super Rugby.

The plan was for South Africa to eventually have four teams in each hemisphere.

"We have four teams in Sanzaar; we have two in Pro14 and the other two will start to develop to play somewhere. Hopefully something like the Anglo-Welsh as a development tournament. At the right time in 2020 we can then make a decision on where our bases are," Roux told the Herald last year.

"We believe we are as strong as we are because we play Australia, Argentina and New Zealand. We measure ourselves by those teams even though the north is getting better. We are committed to Sanzaar beyond 2020."

It also goes on to quote Roux as saying SARU wouldn't have much luck leaving Super Rugby without being dismissed from the RC, giving them further incentive to stay put.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Mix up the conferences rather than having them split purely along Aus/NZ lines. It gets tedious having the NPC replayed for half the season.

having a Aus & a NZ conference is to cut down on your travel. One of the biggest reasons why some teams were scrapped from S18 and the draw reformatted to cut travelling.

obviously some teams being more geographic remote its unavoidable (I.E Argentina) but you'd have your home & away fixtures with your own conference and then you'd rotate each year the games you play at home or games you play away with out of conference.

this bigger picture S20 competition made out of teams from the Pacific Rim is no job for a internet poster like myself. you'd need governing bodies to meet and discuss what would work and what wouldn't... however i believe a Pacific competition is the future of the game.

dru

David Wilson (68)
EDIT: But all hypothetical tournament building aside, this NZ Herald piece posits that the teams going to Europe will be upgraded Currie Cup teams, not the existing Super Rugby sides.

It also goes on to quote Roux as saying SARU wouldn't have much luck leaving Super Rugby without being dismissed from the RC, giving them further incentive to stay put.

This is as expected - and there have been press releases in SA some time ago about hopes and intents along these lines. The earlier report talking around Natal Sharks was a curly and not previously discussed.

It is a lot more than simply a back door to Europe, but it is not withdrawal from Super. In essence it was hoped to offer the Currie Cup Premier Division Clubs franchise status with international experience. Expectations were around Griquas and Pumas in a shorter comp in Europe - can't remember which.

There has also been talk around one of the Jo'burg franchises going over to Pro14 - but that was possibly just fan speculation.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Of course denying it was his only option. I'm not disputing that. I suspect he's been blindsided by this report and is trying to placate the media while he gets on the phone to SA to figure out what the hell is going on.

Would he be on the phone, isn't he a Saffa? Could he just not wander down the road and ask, are you fellas seriously going to the Pro 14 where your share of the TV rights will be slashed? And oh by the way we miss out on the Rugby Championship money too as the Pro 14 starts while that is on.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
This is as expected - and there have been press releases in SA some time ago about hopes and intents along these lines. The earlier report talking around Natal Sharks was a curly and not previously discussed.

It is a lot more than simply a back door to Europe, but it is not withdrawal from Super. In essence it was hoped to offer the Currie Cup Premier Division Clubs franchise status with international experience. Expectations were around Griquas and Pumas in a shorter comp in Europe - can't remember which.

There has also been talk around one of the Jo'burg franchises going over to Pro14 - but that was possibly just fan speculation.

Which all sounds more sensible to me dru. I think we can just put a hold on the alternate comps for a day or two as yet!

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
if the boks leave I dont really get why NZ seem so violently opposed to transtasman thing? Who the fuck else are they gonna play? Just NPC? NO $$$ in that. Aus has a huge economy compared to tinpot NZ
jesus just enter them all in that twiggyball comp. Aus sides will have to join anyway if the boks piss off. Unless they want to stick to their NRC and watch their international standard get shot in the brains
Hong Kong Phooeys,
Kuala Lumpars
Singapore Slings
Ceylon Tea Freaks
Western Force
North Harbour Blues
South Harbour Counties
Canes
Cantabs
Chiefs
Landers
NSFW
Bumbreeze
Reds
Melbourne Rebels
new twiggyball super XV. At least the shithead Blues might win a fucken game. Although an away match-up vs Ceylon Tea Freaks during monsoon season could be a bit dicey

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
if the boks leave I dont really get why NZ seem so violently opposed to transtasman thing? Who the fuck else are they gonna play? Just NPC? NO $$$ in that. Aus has a huge economy compared to tinpot NZ
jesus just enter them all in that twiggyball comp. Aus sides will have to join anyway if the boks piss off. Unless they want to stick to their NRC and watch their international standard get shot in the brains
Hong Kong Phooeys,
Kuala Lumpars
Singapore Slings
Ceylon Tea Freaks
Western Force
North Harbour Blues
South Harbour Counties
Canes
Cantabs
Chiefs
Landers
NSFW
Bumbreeze
Reds
Melbourne Rebels
new twiggyball super XV. At least the shithead Blues might win a fucken game. Although an away match-up vs Ceylon Tea Freaks during monsoon season could be a bit dicey
I'd watch it if they somehow convinced NZRU to allow eligibility for the ABs to be comp wide rather than NZ wide. Otherwise there would be a procession of 100+ --> 0 games every season.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'd watch it if they somehow convinced NZRU to allow eligibility for the ABs to be comp wide rather than NZ wide. Otherwise there would be a procession of 100+ --> 0 games every season.

I agree with the basic idea, but, we always have to be careful about unforeseen consequences.

Each Aussie franchise would obviously have an upper limit of imports. And, why just Kiwis? I still remember Potgieter. How good was he for the Tahs???

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree with the basic idea, but, we always have to be careful about unforeseen consequences.

Each Aussie franchise would obviously have an upper limit of imports. And, why just Kiwis? I still remember Potgieter. How good was he for the Tahs???
I'd have very generous limits for inter-competition players. I.e. i would have a very high limit for kiwi players in an Australian team. Say 5 or 10.

I'd be far stricter on players from outside the competition.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd have very generous limits for inter-competition players. I.e. i would have a very high limit for kiwi players in an Australian team. Say 5 or 10.

I'd be far stricter on players from outside the competition.

It would be simple enough. Have a minimum requirement in place for how much of your squad has to be eligible for the nation the team is based in. Say 75% and only 6 or so 'imports' on the field at once.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Would he be on the phone, isn't he a Saffa? Could he just not wander down the road and ask, are you fellas seriously going to the Pro 14 where your share of the TV rights will be slashed? And oh by the way we miss out on the Rugby Championship money too as the Pro 14 starts while that is on.

It would be a fairly long walk from Sydney where the SANZAAR HQ is based.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It would be simple enough. Have a minimum requirement in place for how much of your squad has to be eligible for the nation the team is based in. Say 75% and only 6 or so 'imports' on the field at once.
I'd say that's too high a % for local players.

I'd also add that there would have to be a better distribution of funds given the less economically gifted nations being touted.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Sooner of Later Rugby in Australia is either going to have to deal with the vast majority of Aussie rugby talent going to Europe and picking Wallabies from there or get fair dinkum and take on League. Hope it is a combination of both. The larger the pool of opportunities for pro rugby jobs the more likely kids ( and more importantly parents and agents) will want teens playing union.
Union well run and well managed, promoted has a future in this country. The money just needs to find its way to the franchises. A trans Tasman comp with Japan thrown in will be just fine if they add commercial value. Sorry Argetina but you guys are on your own.
Longer comp,more home games and no NRC needed. 5 Aussie teams 1 japan, 6 kiwi teams. Bring it on please.

Status
Not open for further replies.