• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That's interesting. I'm completely over them. And SANZAR. And the ARU. Kiwis can work with something that works for Aus rugby or they can leave us alone. I no longer care. Right now the only thing that interests me is does the proposed pro-rugby work for Australia? Anything else is a bonus. A bonus that is not high on the list, right now. More important things to focus on.

Well i disagree entirely and seriously doubt the ability to have a local only comp that succeeds.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Point one is at serious risk now with the viewership statistics and we will be relying heavily on re-selling/expansion into Euroland to just maintain what we have now. Uncontrollables come into play as well with a very flat (and that is generous) wages outlook we have a declining discretionary spend and Pay TV certainly falls into that category. There is no easy fix, but certainly a key is improving the quality of product, and IMO achieving that with the power structures we have is pretty long odds to be achievable.

As GoT (and in keeping with your previous references) is the biggest money earner around ATM perhaps we can have a Dothraki Khal type purging of the RUs and invite the Khaleesi herself to preside. Would be the largest Rugby event in the history of the game anywhere and a massive money earner on so many levels. :)

Any new competition simply cannot be on PayTV if you want it to succeed where Super has failed, i.e. Western Sydney etc. Doesn't matter how much potential money you lose initially.

Once the game is popular enough it will still make good TV money without having to be on foxtel.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Good, I'm completely happy for you to disagree.

Personally I seriously doubt that Aus pro rugby can survive under the current ARU/SANZAR/NZRU/SARU nexus.

I guess it's not really a stretch to doubt the long term viability of professional rugby at all.....sadly

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Indeed. Looks like he has a fairly significant caveat in it though:

Asked if he would assist the ARU in any legal war with SANZAAR, Forrest repeated his demand that ARU chairman Cameron Clyne should resign but then told The Australian: “Yes … five teams are here to stay and dropping the Western Force is not an option. Change the chairman and say to SANZAAR: ‘This is it, you’ve got five Australian teams’.

Clyne is Aus rugby's biggest impediment to success. He would not be missed.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It would be cool if we could set up a trans-tasman comp with eligibility rules allowing Aus/NZ players to play in the opposite country and still be eligible for their country. Would help even things out.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
It would be cool if we could set up a trans-tasman comp with eligibility rules allowing Aus/NZ players to play in the opposite country and still be eligible for their country. Would help even things out.

Maybe 2 players per squad? we need to focus on our own depth a give young players a reason to stay involved.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I suspect you'd find NZRU less demanding & way less likely to threaten to leave if they don't get their own way than SARU.

Brent, like it or not, NZRU and SANZAR are a key cog in this mess.

[Mate, I am re-reading this before posting, and as usual, a caveat - I'm angry. Cheika says I'm not entitled to be, but I am. I completely respect your contributions here at G&GR but I will speak on my opinions as well. Apologies in advance if you find it offensive.]

You yourself made the point earlier, while some of us were musing on a default to domestic comp, that NZ were not compelled to fall in line and that if we reneged on Soup that you could (would?) remove the WBs from the RC.

It's that sort of view that I am over. So we have to choose ABs and a Soup system that is killing Aus pro rugby? I don't understand why even a died in the wool Kiwi rugby fan would not understand that at some point there are at least a few Aus fans who simply think, "oh well, that's over then".

NZRU are culpable here. Tew has headed SANZAR through this mess, through the expansion, the incompetent conference system, the laughably inept draw. Through an historic period of dropping game gate figures - in EVERY Nation involved.

Tew might not be as culpable as Clyne for the demise of Aus pro rugby, but he's certainly a part of it. Ditto NZRU.

While we stew on my stating what apparently I shouldn't state, let's look at a couple of figures:

GDP per capita:
South Africa: $US5,300
New Zealand $US39,500 - like many things, you guys punch well above your weight class.
Australia $US50,000 - so do we.

Which conference would a sensible sport strategise for commercial gain? Yes the broadcast figures with SA in the Euro time zone are pertinent. It's just that it is not the only thing.

Another set of figures - National GDP:
South Africa: $US0.3 Trillion
New Zealand: $US0.2 Trillion
Australia: $US 1.2 Trillion

What opportunities? Australian sporting landscape has seen Rugby drop from being the second football code in several states to probably the fourth. This has happened during the whole SANZAR/Soup thing. Yes Tew is not as culpable as say O'Neil, but still culpable.

In the mean time, even in a falling sporting $ market, all we need here in Aus is a few percentage points of improvement to change how this works. We don't need to knock mungo or kick fest of their perches. Nor Soccer. Just a couple of percentage points.

This fan, me, I'm done. It's time for Aus to actually think about it's own interests. If there is a message back to NZRU it's possibly that while Aus fans with these (my) attitudes are growing in number, we remain outnumbered by people like Derpus above. So whatever I think, it's not too late. I'd suggest Tew starts thinking about it, and the next Kiwi fan who sits ready to impart the wisdom of Aus is better with 4, or 3, or the chewie from the bottom of their boots, suggest that they should be careful what they wish for.

You suggest that NZ may be softening their thoughts of a pro-Tasman comp? Get working on it guys, some of us are simply over it. Or more to the point, when this is offered I for one now will question why this is to our benefit. Seems obvious that it should be, but we'll be checking the fine print.

Some of us are ready to cut and run. I'm quite happy for Aus pro-rugby to be without NZ teams. If that means no AB games, OK not my preference but I'll live with it. I don't know how to be clearer in this, so let me summarise>

THIS IS NOT WORKING FOR US, WE ARE NOT OBLIGED TO STAY.

The sooner we are rid of Clyne and can get on with withdrawal from Soup the better.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Brent, like it or not, NZRU and SANZAR are a key cog in this mess.

[Mate, I am re-reading this before posting, and as usual, a caveat - I'm angry. Cheika says I'm not entitled to be, but I am. I completely respect your contributions here at G&GR but I will speak on my opinions as well. Apologies in advance if you find it offensive.]

You yourself made the point earlier, while some of us were musing on a default to domestic comp, that NZ were not compelled to fall in line and that if we reneged on Soup that you could (would?) remove the WBs from the RC.

It's that sort of view that I am over. So we have to choose ABs and a Soup system that is killing Aus pro rugby? I don't understand why even a died in the wool Kiwi rugby fan would not understand that at some point there are at least a few Aus fans who simply think, "oh well, that's over then".

NZRU are culpable here. Tew has headed SANZAR through this mess, through the expansion, the incompetent conference system, the laughably inept draw. Through an historic period of dropping game gate figures - in EVERY Nation involved.

Tew might not be as culpable as Clyne for the demise of Aus pro rugby, but he's certainly a part of it. Ditto NZRU.

While we stew on my stating what apparently I shouldn't state, let's look at a couple of figures:

GDP per capita:
South Africa: $US5,300
New Zealand $US39,500 - like many things, you guys punch well above your weight class.
Australia $US50,000 - so do we.

Which conference would a sensible sport strategise for commercial gain? Yes the broadcast figures with SA in the Euro time zone are pertinent. It's just that it is not the only thing.

Another set of figures - National GDP:
South Africa: $US0.3 Trillion
New Zealand: $US0.2 Trillion
Australia: $US 1.2 Trillion

What opportunities? Australian sporting landscape has seen Rugby drop from being the second football code in several states to probably the fourth. This has happened during the whole SANZAR/Soup thing. Yes Tew is not as culpable as say O'Neil, but still culpable.

In the mean time, even in a falling sporting $ market, all we need here in Aus is a few percentage points of improvement to change how this works. We don't need to knock mungo or kick fest of their perches. Nor Soccer. Just a couple of percentage points.

This fan, me, I'm done. It's time for Aus to actually think about it's own interests. If there is a message back to NZRU it's possibly that while Aus fans with these (my) attitudes are growing in number, we remain outnumbered by people like Derpus above. So whatever I think, it's not too late. I'd suggest Tew starts thinking about it, and the next Kiwi fan who sits ready to impart the wisdom of Aus is better with 4, or 3, or the chewie from the bottom of their boots, suggest that they should be careful what they wish for.

You suggest that NZ may be softening their thoughts of a pro-Tasman comp? Get working on it guys, some of us are simply over it. Or more to the point, when this is offered I for one now will question why this is to our benefit. Seems obvious that it should be, but we'll be checking the fine print.

Some of us are ready to cut and run. I'm quite happy for Aus pro-rugby to be without NZ teams. If that means no AB games, OK not my preference but I'll live with it. I don't know how to be clearer in this, so let me summarise>

THIS IS NOT WORKING FOR US, WE ARE NOT OBLIGED TO STAY.

The sooner we are rid of Clyne and can get on with withdrawal from Soup the better.

we need to be outward looking but need to do it from a strong foundation or we end up where we are now.
TF is all about self sustainability, without sounding like a broken record, we seem to have a perfect storm brewing to make change.
Disaffected but passionate supporters, the soup system breaking down, Wallaby results poor and a benefactor in the wings who seems prepared to backstop efforts to re boot the whole thing.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
FFS, Derpus SURELY that means we start working on withdrawal and building the B Plan right now.

Well yeah obviously, none of us work for the ARU though. We can't withdraw anyway. We are signed up for anther two years at which point a large number of people suspect the comp will be done for good.

Your GDP figures are quite misleading. Statistics like these aren't particularly useful without a books worth of contextual information. Apartheid has ended but the inequality sure as shit hasn't. If you took all of the black people out of the GDP per capita figures i think you'll find the average white South African isn't much worse of than the average Aus/NZer. Plus, you need to factor in cultural considerations like the fact that Australians are notoriously fickle at supporting sporting teams, have a wide variety of sports to choose from etc. Just because there is money in existence does not mean that it is there for the taking and equally just because one economy is bigger than another does not mean your product will automatically make more money in the larger one.

I don't think you need to get so worked up about this. Most people are in agreement that Soup is fucked as it stands. From all 5 countries and beyond.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Your GDP figures are quite misleading.

Derpus, South African politics while an important justice issue, is not pertinent to a rugby commercial discussion.

In the mean time where do you look for economic strength to build Aus pro rugby? SA is not the answer.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Derpus, South African politics while an important justice issue, is not pertinent to a rugby commercial discussion.

In the mean time where do you look for economic strength to build Aus pro rugby? SA is not the answer.

Well yes it is. You are talking about the appropriate market to be targeting with a new rugby competition so it seems pretty bloody relevant.

But, regardless, you target Australia and NZ with Asia a longer-term target.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Clyne is completely out of touch with Aus rugby supporters and common sense.
He is so full of BS it is difficult to comprehend how he can be prepared to put himself up to ridicule with such comments reeking of self interest.

He can't use the financial issue anymore.
He can't use the grassroots issue anymore.
He can't use the fear SANZAAR will sue us reason anymore.
He is now trying to use the on field performance, if so then why get rid of the Force, the 2nd top performer?

He doesn't care about Aus rugby just saving his own skin. How weak are the other Board members!

“The reason we’re pushing on (with the move to cull a team) is that whatever 2020 delivers, Australia’s best negotiating position will be going in with strong, on-field performances,” Clyne said. “Because that gives us the opportunity to say we are a country that’s delivering on the field and therefore should have an ability to help shape the competition. Simple as that.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...r/news-story/3a1c2f26f6eb2ee3020d6762a70a0631

Status
Not open for further replies.