• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
T
I can't imagine the NZRU will hold firm to a view that is no longer in their best interests.

Hopefully not, but we shall see.

I'd also like TRC to go back to one round and the return of long tours as part of a reformed SH season. The idea of regular 3 test tours with mid-week matches should appeal to SA, NZ and Aus.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Cyclo, if I implied internationals being the funding to pro rugby was gate only - it was not intended.

Yeah, although Wallabies matchday income is around $30m.

Overall Wallabies generated income is, I would say, northward of $75m which is around two thirds of the total.

These figures might be on a down trend for now, but are probably good enough for ballpark numbers.

B

BLR

SA lost their third franchise with the Force from Perthfontein.

Mate, I have lived here all my life and know a handful of Saffa's. The Brits on the other hand. Maybe just call the town like something in the UK. I heard there is a nice place called Perth in Scotland, let's do that.

B

BLR

Officially, still at the force

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Hypothetically, if the ARU win the appeal and have already given Twiggy the go ahead to start his own comp, would this mean that whatever this Western Australian side is, they will take over these contracts?
Meaning we could assume if a new comp is started all players currently contracted will stay on, or would this mean that Twiggy would have to start afresh leaving these players to the whims of the ARU & other sides?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
SA lost their third franchise with the Force from Perthfontein.

yeah I agree with BLR, all this so called SA influence in Perth is just not correct.
At club and junior rugby at best it is about 1 in 20 is from SA. Don't get me wrong it is great to have them here but there is simply not many of them.
Same at Force games.
It is a different story with New Zealanders, Brits and Irish, prob 40% or even more.
But Aussies make up an easy 50% with most of them local or long term from the East.
From experience it is mostly the Aussies who run the clubs and coach.
The stats for Sth Africans living in Perth is said to be approx 30k who were born in SA in a city of 2.2ml.

andrewM

Herbert Moran (7)
I've always found it odd why there are so relatively few saffas involved in club rugby in Perth - being a Kala boy I simply assumed that they joined the 'better' clubs on the other side of town

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
These things we know, or most of us do:

1. A local domestic competition will not bring in any net revenue. Just getting something onto FTA nationally would be a significant achievement in itself. .

I get where you are coming from Warberal (base on your previous comments I have seen but I tend to disagree.

One of the key issue that was the undoing of the S18 was the desire / need for more "local derbies" that did help on the revenue from with both rating but mainly gate (when teams were performing). The manipulation of the draw to accommodate this was partly to blame for where it is at now. What the Super Rugby did show us is there an appetite and supporter base for a domestic product. If there is a TV deal that could be derived from such a competition that would be of value is questionable but not impossible. The lesson from Ch10 going under was don' t get sucked in to rating centric metrics. Once the network abandoned it lower rating base but high advertising revenue of all the networks (yes, bigger $$ with less ratings!) to chase the other networks on ratings it killed the revenue and brought them down.

IMHO we tend to think in terms of replicating a Super Rugby type beast when we think of alternatives at the moment going as far as to always consider other code and the necessity to compete against them. taking a step back and surveying the rugby landscape that show the recent Wallabies games got reasonable rating while the are not performing and the fans are disgruntled. On top of that the looking at the crowd at the QPR and SS etc it shows there are many (real) supporters of rugby out there that want decent rugby week in week out to watch and identify with. having regular games week in week out gives us a cahnce to grow a strong supporter base and engage people. Super Rugby only provides limited opportunity for this and its hurt our game.

So why are we not just simply setting the first step at catering for and starting with the supporters we already have out there in rugby land as the first priority and build from there?

We do not need a leader, we need a genuine sense of unity.

Together we might just survive. Divided, there is little doubt that we will fail, at least in terms of having a major sport that has widespread public and (importanly) corporate support.
Yes are absolutely correct but this is the Achilles heal of rugby and it the real reason other codes are not threatened by Rugby.

The moment anyone mentions domestic like QPR play against SS teams the first thing will be that neither ant to change their seasons. make a sacrifice etc and that why the Super Rugby has been so twisted to accommodate the real issues that we have to try and fund a devided game.
Its such a logical thing but it been an issue for decades and look at it; a fan base wanting more A game in trouble but territorialism power, history and ego wont let the basic logic prevail.
There are ways but I think we need to start with a blank canvas and far more understanding about our game, supporters and opportunities.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
The Perthfontein name origin from the father of forum.

(I wont call the newbie posters in for this)

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...is-perthfontein-a-blueprint-for-success.4124/

you just change your story from post to post. I, like BLR and Andrew answered your post because of the below comment which is completely wrong.

"SA lost their third franchise with the Force"

they are welcome but generally not very visible in the rugby community.
I am only answering your post for the benefit of other posters who think, due to repetition, that those comments are based on fact, they are not.

M

Moono75

Interesting report in the Australian that Twiggy is willing to fund the ARU in any legal stoush against SANZAAR in the event that the ARU was sued by SANZAAR for going back on their commitment to axe the Force.

Sounds like the ARU is fast running out of excuses as to WHY they can't let the Force back in.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Interesting report in the Australian that Twiggy is willing to fund the ARU in any legal stoush against SANZAAR in the event that the ARU was sued by SANZAAR for going back on their commitment to axe the Force.

Sounds like the ARU is fast running out of excuses as to WHY they can't let the Force back in.
Indeed. Looks like he has a fairly significant caveat in it though:

Asked if he would assist the ARU in any legal war with SANZAAR, Forrest repeated his demand that ARU chairman Cameron Clyne should resign but then told The Australian: “Yes … five teams are here to stay and dropping the Western Force is not an option. Change the chairman and say to SANZAAR: ‘This is it, you’ve got five Australian teams’.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I hope this is true for a wide variety of reasons. Some nostalgic/romantic part of me feels NZ/Aus should always stick together.

That's interesting. I'm completely over them. And SANZAR. And the ARU. Kiwis can work with something that works for Aus rugby or they can leave us alone. I no longer care. Right now the only thing that interests me is does the proposed pro-rugby work for Australia? Anything else is a bonus. A bonus that is not high on the list, right now. More important things to focus on.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Indeed. Looks like he has a fairly significant caveat in it though:

Asked if he would assist the ARU in any legal war with SANZAAR, Forrest repeated his demand that ARU chairman Cameron Clyne should resign but then told The Australian: “Yes … five teams are here to stay and dropping the Western Force is not an option. Change the chairman and say to SANZAAR: ‘This is it, you’ve got five Australian teams’.

He speaks for many of us

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That's interesting. I'm completely over them. And SANZAR. And the ARU. Kiwis can work with something that works for Aus rugby or they can leave us alone. I no longer care. Right now the only thing that interests me is does the proposed pro-rugby work for Australia? Anything else is a bonus. A bonus that is not high on the list, right now. More important things to focus on.

That's pretty much my view. Big concern about what demands NZRU would make in terms of a TT competition. And I'd add that it's about time Australian rugby stood on its own two feet in terms of professional domestic rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.