• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
These people don't give a shit who Forrest is. They don't give a shit that the ARU are useless right now. They give a shit about maintaining the order they preside over. They are basically the ARU on a huge scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok then who is going to provide the financial firepower to take TF to court? who are these people, these non businessmen who are prepared to throw away all this money rather than find a compromise that's good for all, except probably the ARU?????

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The whole cutting of the Force, TF involvement, WA Government suing the ARU and the ARU bungling has got to be a great TV mini series..

As certainly Theatre of the Absurb being played out before our eyes.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
You raise a good point and in doing so may have identified the achilles heal of WR (World Rugby). If the Southern Hemisphere don't want the WR (World Rugby) ways they certainly can go it alone.

It well reported the NZRU want better deals and a better system. The SARU have a foot on each side of the equator and both Ireland and SA (both Pro 14) are 2 of the 3 RWC 2023 bidders.

On top of the the 2019 RWC also sits down south so the power you say the WR (World Rugby) has in the NH may not really be much. It lays with the next dollar.

The heavy hitters in the NH are the RFU and FRU and both rely on the SH team for revenue generation at the test level.

The FRU aren't a heavy hitter - the French clubs are and they pretty much do what they want now anyway - look how that has worked out for their national team. The RFU make a fortune out of Twickenham. SH tests are nice, but they still make a fortune out of the six nations, and realistically I can't see a situation where they have to make that choice, because as Chopper Read's mate Neville Bartos said, "There’s no cash here. Here there’s no cash, alright? Cash, no."

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The FRU aren't a heavy hitter - the French clubs are and they pretty much do what they want now anyway - look how that has worked out for their national team. The RFU make a fortune out of Twickenham. SH tests are nice, but they still make a fortune out of the six nations, and realistically I can't see a situation where they have to make that choice, because as Chopper Read's mate Neville Bartos said, "There’s no cash here. Here there’s no cash, alright? Cash, no."

Stoff, think this through, with an Aussie like Twiggy.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It would be a new competition that is not encumbered by a set calendar or locked in to WR (World Rugby) rules, catering to a market that is wanting content.

Internationals would be irrelevant to this SH competition which is the key money spinner to HN unions like the RFU.

With the "öld" unions compromised with weaker teams and less supporter / audience base (player bases split) which could mean lower TV dollars it becomes a significant risk to revenue.

So in reality there is nothing stopping a new Aus v NZ v SA V pacific nations international series (representing each country) in direct competition of the WR (World Rugby) format. It can be held when they want to maximise rating etc.

The key is if it not "endorsed" by WR (World Rugby) there ain't no rules to bind it which is a real threat to the establishment if it actually got off the ground. Next you know some American with money will try it....

Lovely pipe dream.

Equally, should SH Unions schism, I could see a couple of Europeans with more money than sense funding Exiles Teams for South Africa, New Zealand and Australia, then having one of them do "a tour" of the 6 Nations each year.

And no BILs tour would open the opportunity for a genuine European Championship, something for which general appetite is growing quite dramatically.

And as another point: an assumption you seem to be running with is that it'll be the 6 Nations against the World. Whereas of the glorious revolution eventuates I think it would simply be SANZAAR (Or whatever SH body emerges triumphant) v the 6 Nations. Every Other Union/Nation I think would just pledge itself to whomever can offer them the best cut of the profits in that particular quarter.

Reactions: mst

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What would be the ideal scenario is TF agrees to provide funding for broader oz rugby with conditions, and specific one is reform of current structure and role of State unions. I somehow doubt the ARU would mind that condition.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
It's a shame John Clarke died, he'd do a great Bill Pulver.

Russell Crow for TF...

My observation is broadcasters are loyal to who has the best teams and the team that rates the best.

The broadcasters would toss SAADZZARRRRRRR overboard and sue them if TW got the best competition and they would pay TW for his competition.

Right now if I was the ARU I would be begging the US media company and other broadcast partners to reconsider the deal even if it meant financial penalties. Ask TW to make up or partly make up the penalty.

The ARU are like the roo caught in the headlights of the oncoming vehicle they are frozen and in a panic me thinks.

Me thinks the cheapest alternative now is to renegotiate the Force staying in.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
And we know by Wednesday what's going on re: Using the Legal system to get back in vs Being unrelenting in making the ARU feel financial pressure.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Russell Crow for TF.

My observation is broadcasters are loyal to who has the best teams and the team that rates the best.

The broadcasters would toss SAADZZARRRRRRR overboard and sue them if TW got the best competition and they would pay TW for his competition.

Right now if I was the ARU I would be begging the US media company and other broadcast partners to reconsider the deal even if it meant financial penalties. Ask TW to make up or partly make up the penalty.

The ARU are like the roo caught in the headlights of the oncoming vehicle they are frozen and in a panic me thinks.

Me thinks the cheapest alternative now is to renegotiate the Force staying in.

TW???

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The whole cutting of the Force, TF involvement, WA Government suing the ARU and the ARU bungling has got to be a great TV mini series..

As certainly Theatre of the Absurb being played out before our eyes.

Justus von Dohnányi to play Bill Pulver:

latest

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
ok then who is going to provide the financial firepower to take TF to court? who are these people, these non businessmen who are prepared to throw away all this money rather than find a compromise that's good for all, except probably the ARU?????
They don't need to. This was in response to twiggys coalition of international renegades that people are suggesting. The established power will do everything it can to block a rebel rugby comp on a global scale.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Lovely pipe dream.

Equally, should SH Unions schism, I could see a couple of Europeans with more money than sense funding Exiles Teams for South Africa, New Zealand and Australia, then having one of them do "a tour" of the 6 Nations each year.

And no BILs tour would open the opportunity for a genuine European Championship, something for which general appetite is growing quite dramatically.

And as another point: an assumption you seem to be running with is that it'll be the 6 Nations against the World. Whereas of the glorious revolution eventuates I think it would simply be SANZAAR (Or whatever SH body emerges triumphant) v the 6 Nations. Every Other Union/Nation I think would just pledge itself to whomever can offer them the best cut of the profits in that particular quarter.

We all need to dream. No, that is not the assumption I was running with but its a good one none the less.

I would expect that before this was even causing a restless night for other unions a silent revolution would be in play if not played out to move on the common issue in all of this:the current ARU cohort.

With court battles looming from the Force, and if that goes against them SANZAAR and even the Rebels if they keep the cutting theme going. Then there is the WA government that could cause significant financial issues....a bloodless coup would make a lot of parties very happy and make a lot of problems go away.

I think SANZAAR partners might be first on the phone as it bails them out of the TV deal if the ARU go belly up. Clean slate with setup cost by Twiggy; all for the new comp!

Viva le revolution!

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well for the Rebs supporters perhaps fear of being left out, being held to account for the sins of the past/losing that ARU gravy train?

Maybe the Rebels v Force fight is so ingrained by this point it is a reflex.
I think the Rebels would be the first team the comp would attempt to sign after the Force. 1 its privately owned so the ARU cant stand in the way. 2 its called the Rebels. Joining a Rebel league would make sense.

As for players, RUPA would be on board so the ARU would be screwed. Unions run the country so they cant mess with that one.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.