• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Both Mark Sinderberry & Rebels have said they need to cut a team. So yeah, if that's what they were going for from this meeting the VRU/RUPA just wasted an opportunity.

Why is there secret votes when the supposed point was clarity in the process.

Could not agree more why is everything kinda """ for your eyes""" only.

As i just said in my previous post where is the official press release.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So no official release of what happened or been agreed.

For the love of the holy mother Mary its !@!@&^%$#$ words fail me.

This is fast becoming will the last one out the door turn off the lights.

I was actually looking forward to some news good or bad.

The first resolution was that it was in Australia's best interests to have 5 teams to 2020 which was rejected.

The second was for the ARU to reconsider cutting a team which was also rejected. (don't ask me because I think these first two resolutions sound like the same thing).

The third resolution to establish a Super Rugby commission which was passed.

No one questioned Pulver's continued position as CEO of the ARU.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
The first resolution was that it was in Australia's best interests to have 5 teams to 2020 which was rejected.

The second was for the ARU to reconsider cutting a team which was also rejected. (don't ask me because I think these first two resolutions sound like the same thing).

The third resolution to establish a Super Rugby commission which was passed.

No one questioned Pulver's continued position as CEO of the ARU.

Thanks

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Because they needed five teams to fulfil their part of the broadcast agreement.

Nice try at a viable defence of the ARU's policies. Only problem is: if you hungar for income - as did the ARU in selling broadcasters a fifth Aus Super team - and just provide volume to get it, you must inevitably provide decent and consistent product quality to sustain the viability of the volume you've sold.

That product quality provision from the extra Super team volume didn't occur; the ARU didn't know how to make it occur. So they really should never have sold it, the broadcasters effectively got conned.

The rest is history. 2017: Let's cull volume as the volume we now have loses too much money. Why? Mostly: the quality of much of that volume is crap.

Motto: don't sell more sports product volume if you can't deliver the product quality to sustain it in terms of positive results and fan attractiveness.

So, given the nature of our ARU's talents, or the lack thereof, they should never have started the Rebels, and arguably not the Force either.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nice try at a viable defence of the ARU's policies. Only problem is: if you hungar for income - as did the ARU in selling broadcasters a fifth Aus Super team - and just provide volume to get it, you must inevitably provide decent and consistent product quality to sustain the viability of the volume you've sold.

That product quality provision from the extra Super team volume didn't occur; the ARU didn't know how to make it occur. So they really should never have sold it, the broadcasters effectively got conned.

The rest is history. 2017: Let's cull volume as the volume we now have loses too much money. Why? Mostly: the quality of much of that volume is crap.

Motto: don't sell more sports product volume if you can't deliver the product quality to sustain it in terms of positive results and fan attractiveness.

So, given the nature of our ARU's talents, or the lack thereof, they should never have started the Rebels, and arguably not the Force either.

I don't think any of those things are in doubt.

I take issue that you seem to be suggesting that my post is a defence of the ARU. It seems like a pretty clear statement of fact of why they bailed out the Rebels and then the Force rather than letting them go bust.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I don't think any of those things are in doubt.

I take issue that you seem to be suggesting that my post is a defence of the ARU. It seems like a pretty clear statement of fact of why they bailed out the Rebels and then the Force rather than letting them go bust.

I agree but then selling the Rebels off and signing an agreement to keep the Force in to 2020 wasn't exactly a great move if you thought that 5 teams was not sustainable.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree but then selling the Rebels off and signing an agreement to keep the Force in to 2020 wasn't exactly a great move if you thought that 5 teams was not sustainable.
It does seem that whoever at the ARU was involved in the details of the alliance agreement with RugbyWA was not aware at that point in time that there were issues at SANZAAR level about dissatisfaction with how the 18 team comp was working and the potential to cut teams.

Clearly it was an incredibly dumb mistake if that is an accurate representation of what happened.

It is not surprising that staff below board level weren't aware of the SANZAAR dealings but those in the know (Pulver and presumably Clarke) had to ensure no actions taken created a conflict that would ultimately either be impossible or expensive (or both) to resolve.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
It does seem that whoever at the ARU was involved in the details of the alliance agreement with RugbyWA was not aware at that point in time that there were issues at SANZAAR level about dissatisfaction with how the 18 team comp was working and the potential to cut teams.

Clearly it was an incredibly dumb mistake if that is an accurate representation of what happened.

It is not surprising that staff below board level weren't aware of the SANZAAR dealings but those in the know (Pulver and presumably Clarke) had to ensure no actions taken created a conflict that would ultimately either be impossible or expensive (or both) to resolve.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Obviously there license agreements with the Rebels and the Force do not have a clause that allows for the ARU to pull the license in the event that SANZAAR want to cull some teams.
Maybe any ARC and other super franchise contracts need to make allowances for the contraction in the Aussie rugby market.
ARU need to be able to lead this process. What a shambles, it has cost a fuckload of money.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Obviously there license agreements with the Rebels and the Force do not have a clause that allows for the ARU to pull the license in the event that SANZAAR want to cull some teams.
Maybe any ARC and other super franchise contracts need to make allowances for the contraction in the Aussie rugby market.
ARU need to be able to lead this process. What a shambles, it has cost a fuckload of money.

The WRU were obviously not stupid and made sure that they were safe from being culled.

Imperium as well wouldn't want to invest time or money in a team which could be pulled at the whim of the ARU. Whatever people think about Cox, he has invested significant time in the Rebels and I'm sure wouldn't want to be at risk of wasting that time.

It is a complete screw up. I just can't see how the ARU are going to get out of this. Hope that someone rules for them in court? Rolling a dice isn't exactly a good strategy.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

But what we have seen here RH is another example of the one and only thing in which the ARU have an undisputed talent (and NSWRU and QRU et al). This, I'm sure that you are aware, is the art of ensuring that nobody is to blame, nobody is accountable, nothing is changed and most of all that everyone keeps their jobs/roles/access to corporate lunges/VIP boxes etc.

I know that people had high hopes for this meeting, but the result I'm afraid was inevitable.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
'c' ward have escaped again are running the show and today the turkeys all voted for Christmas - rebels should put the welcome mat out for wessells and his team because the deal is done they are just going through the motions -toot toot and all aboard the ARU merry go round

Status
Not open for further replies.