• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leo86

P
Somewhat OT but does anyone have a comparison of Perth Glory and Western Force home game attendances and ratings since 2010?

Pain in the ass trying to look at it from phone. But austadiums.com will have the info. Out of top 15 highest attendance.

Super rugby - 9
NRL - 3
Test match league - 1
Socceroos - 2

Out of last 15 events.

Force V Chiefs highest at 14,089
Lowest though aside from W-League is Force V Reds at 7008 (Thursday game)

Glory had 10 games in that 15

Force 4 games

Force games usually attract higher attendance with kiwi games. So tonight should be another decent crowd as long as the weather doesnt turn too many away

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cyclo, I think we all know you have a hidden agenda to ensure this thread under no circumstances reaches 300 pages. Surely the record for thread pages would have to be: 'Should QC (Quade Cooper) be Wallaby 10'? :rolleyes:

I reckon it could be condensed to about 20 pages with no-one being any less the wiser.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
The biggest problem in my mind is that if you look with a long term view it's very difficult to see any significant improvement in our 'high performance outcomes' (or in other words, international success) which the current structure relies upon entirely.

Rugby has been trending downwards for most of the last 10 years in Australia, and in that time the Wallabies have consistently been in the top 3 teams in the world. The period when rugby was doing great in this country was when we were basically number 1 and winning major tournaments consistently. So that suggests even being 3rd in the world isn't good enough, winning 2 Super Rugby titles in the last 6 years isn't good enough, making the last world cup final isn't good enough. The Wallabies have to be number 1 or at least very competitive with number 1, and they have to be there consistently. And if they aren't then the sport doesn't compete with the other codes.

The question we have to ask is how likely is it that the Wallabies will ever be consistently at number 1 or genuinely close to number 1 in the future?

This is made extremely difficult in the short-medium term by the strength of the sport at all levels in New Zealand and England especially. And in the longer term it's made even more difficult by the fact rugby is growing very strongly worldwide at the exact same time it is struggling for participation and popularity here. International rugby is far more likely to be more competitive in 15 years than it is to be less competitive. There will almost certainly be more competitive nations than there is now, not less.

So is a strategy that only seems to work when we're the best team in the world going to help rugby prosper in this country over the longer term? Even with far better administrators? I doubt it.

I think this is the nub of the issue. There will be a huge cost to Oz rugby for a long time to come if they cut a team. But let's just say best case scenario, our remaining Super Rugby teams become more competitive, as do the Wallabies at Test level, even win a few trophies, is that really going to help rugby prosper over the longer term here? Is simply fixing the Super Rugby structure and making it a more credible competition the extent of the vision?

dru

David Wilson (68)
I had faded away from posting on this thread. The thing just infuriates too much.

I'd be happy though to annotate for instance the number of Rebels games I watched last year, and this year before Clyne poked his head above the parapet. All of them. And how many since. Nearly none. Its a bit subjective but I'd see it as support to the Cox claim that the ARU has damaged the Rebels brand.

Lets move on. Domestic it is - until SANZAAR offers something that suits.

May the ARU rot - preferably without too much more damage to our Rugby.

todd4

Dave Cowper (27)
Probably the main reason AFL & NRL are so popular is because all the games are Aussie teams playing at prime time on Free-to-air TV. Seems pretty simple. Unless we can get something similar happening we will always be a fringe sport.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
We'll do that without trying. We've almost got to 300 without any decision - imagine what will happen if they actually make a decision (assuming that any decision survives court action)
If the Force went, I'd lift myself up by the back of my pants (Lorax style) and never be seen in these parts again. I'd imagine the other fans would do the same if it were their team. Everyone else would quietly murmur and then move on to some other topic.

I imagine this thread would die.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Oh. Thanks anyway. Torp has apparently curated the truth of this fascinating subject.

We'll do that without trying. We've almost got to 300 without any decision - imagine what will happen if they actually make a decision (assuming that any decision survives court action)

This thread looks like it's gonna destroy the record for fastest thread to 300 pages - 2 months and 15 days is the current count to 299 pages

Previous record was the Reds 2015 thread, which took 11 months and 4 days

Status
Not open for further replies.