• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Anzac Day match figure for the AFL today - 85,539

2 Super teams won't get that many through the gate over their 8 home games this year.

Shows how deep of a hole we are in.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I said two days ago that the longer this drags on the better for the Force, but thinking about it overnight there's probably no point dragging it out if all of our players who are off contract are signed elsewhere.

The ARU can kill our future as well by dragging it out

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I wonder if this is the simplest compromise?

If SA are still willing to cut 2 teams, then they can have their 5 team conference with the Jags; NZ can have their 5 team conference with no foreigners; Australia can have a 6 team conference with the Wolves.

Re-jig the format ever-so-slightly so that the Aussie conference has less out-of-conference games to keep the number of matches even. Not perfect, but hey, it's a compromise, that's the closest thing to the 3×5 they've proposed, but with Australia keeping it's 5 franchises while retaining New Zealand teams not having to travel to Argentina and Japan for in-conference games.

Scheduled correctly, the timezone allows for SunWolves to play all their games in Japan; no need to come down to Singapore to meet the South Africans. Might give them a chance to play a game in Kyushu and Kansai also..?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

2 Super teams won't get that many through the gate over their 8 home games this year.

4th most attended league in the world per game (not counting motor sport or cycling). It's a very harsh goalpost.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
In this vein, a really well-organised We're Not Gonna Take it: Give Rugby Back to Us movement could absolutely work, it's not too late to attempt it and I have often thought of putting some money up and starting it, such is my deep-seated detestation of and sadness towards what I see so shockingly committed (or omitted) in the negative by our so-called 'leaders'.

It would work right now as the code's alarming crisis and the utter incompetence (and obvious, total failure of the RUs and ARU to honour their pledge to oversight the code the rugby community and not themselves) has never been plainer or more in full public and media view.

It's factual that this world of ours has principally been formed by the three interrelated forces: the positive power of the human spirit, the massive impact of science and its vast application, and the successful (over time) protest movements that have ultimately led to positive social change that have benefitted most people.

So, we need our own rugby protest movement.

But I'm not sure we care just that little bit extra enough, with that required searing passion, effort and intensity, to ever make it happen.

We're probably the types that want someone else to do it, aren't we?

Well, we have a campaign song -

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That being one of the best observations made here in some time.

There are two problems in this notable zone of concern:

One, and this is important, the ARU's and local RU's governance systems provide zero mechanisms of for, for example, 'grassroots' or any kind of 'outside' rugby-loving group to be heard, represented formally, or easily elected to such bodies' boards or other formal committees.

Appallingly, the boards of our State RUs are typically and solely hand-picked by their respective Chairmen via his personal network.

Rare footage of the latest ARU AGM, showing the board on stage and prospective Shore Old Boys, former Walalbies and assorted corporate hacks in the audience auditioning for future board seats.:)

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Rare footage of the latest ARU AGM, showing the board on stage and prospective Shore Old Boys, former Walalbies and assorted corporate hacks in the audience auditioning for future board seats.:)

Quite excellent and correct QH.

Off topic - I recommend you head to the Avatar/Signature bets thread and read the most recent post ;)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
We need a World Rugby revolution.

Bill, mate, you really need to be more discreet regarding your somewhat anxiety-driven desire to move to Ireland and lead more of yours and Chairman Clyne's brand of 'rugby revolution' there, for World Rugby.

Your brand of rugby revolution - 'cull the ungrateful c****' - is still in need of a 'settling down' period in your home country before a move to World Rugby HQ can be realistically contemplated.

So, be patient. All good things come to those who wait.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)

85,000 the night before at Richmond v Melbourne game :(
170,000 in less than 12 hours for two spectacular sporting events that loads of people watched on tv too.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Worth looking at the age structures of the crowds and what future you have when young people are not attending. At the Waratahs last game there was a spot for all the walking frames.
Also if kids aren't exposed to the game at school then all they get is TV sports or what the school offers. Usually Soccer, League or AFL.
With League ALL games are on and at reasonable times. The alternatives also have much simpler rules.
With Super Rugby who is up to watch a match from South Africa.
So I wouldn't worry about which team might be cut in Australia but whether Rugby is Dead Man Walking.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
I return to your point: perhaps we need to protest better and more innovatively.

So, we need our own rugby protest movement.

The netballers have had their drama's of recent with their own administrators / blazer brigade and the players showed solidarity with a big group hug before the game, maybe we need this in rugby and players to show solidarity.

A group hug would between the Tah's and the Reds would be great to see.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/netbal...k/news-story/b999d3fea01de966de72d05ef54218bd

I imagine that the ARU Board / NSW Board / Qld Board will have a box somewhere in Suncorp, if someone can identify where that would be located in the ground then the crowd could turn and face them and hold their phone screens or something in protest.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Can't see this happening.
ARU can't possibly enter into legal battle with Force, as it opens them up to claims from SANZAAR as well.
They simply have to give Cox a big bag of money, or the Brumbies...
They can't sack the Brumbies because they told them they wouldn't and they altered their position as a result.
Next.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Left field here.
Wasn't the point of the Arbib review to comply with the Aust sports commission governance requirements?
Can we petition the government to sack the ARU BOARD?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It is....

It's not.

And apparently the Brumbies are the most watched Australian team on overseas broadcasters, and currently second behind the Tahs on Foxtel.

Rugby heartland not subjective? International brand recognition?

Objective statistics to support either?

Status
Not open for further replies.