• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So the ARU are between a rock and a hard place

Not really. Do your job. Represent Australia

With whom you have contracts. Tell SANZAAR yep we have 5 teams for our share of the Super 15.

SANZAAR you have a contract with Japan, you cut them or you make the competition work stop hand balling your responsibility. If you want anyone outside of SA,NZ,AUS you sort your shit out not to our detriment.
It's not a SANZAAR issue, it's an ARU clusterfuck.
When they were told they'd get paid for 5 teams for 3 years,whilst only supplying 4 teams.The ARU never paused to consider how that would affect their existing agreements.Nor did they consider what sort of a haircut they would get in year 4 and beyond.

Seriously I saw more sophisticated deal making in the schoolyard over playing cards.

And I bet the fools that made this mess, are charged with solving what is now a complex crisis.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
'You Couldn't Make it Up if You Tried'

Instalment #16

SANZAAR MAY SUE THE ARU

Follow up article "ARU vetoes SANZAAR decision to sue ARU"

Also, what the fuck are two Australian​s doing being regulars in the best NZ side.

Can any of those players (and other Australians in foreign Super Rugby teams) be picked for the Wallaby squad? I think it's a little strange to exclude them if they are able to put together good performances against Super Rugby opposition.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
God this is frustrating

Yes they are. See how that goes?

I gave a pretty definitive example of how they are indeed debatable. Another point to add to that already given is the cost - not all costs are monetary. How much goodwill has been burnt not only with certain well known Sydney clubs but with unconverted fans and potential fans.

Seriously - I live and work across three regional Rugby competition areas and I know one other Rugby fan/player that watches the NRC and that is because his son is playing. If it has been so successfully implemented it has failed to pick up the easy low hanging fruit in the engagement stakes, and some of those like me are actively negative about the aims and prospects of the whole thing.

The NRC debate I have absolutely no doubt will go exactly the same way as the argument I have been waging here and elsewhere for the last 10+ years about the mismanagement of Australian Rugby. There is little doubt now that those of on the non-complimentary side of the fence have been right all along even though we were derided right up until the end of 2016.
Easy to outline problems Gnostic but much harder to propose solutions so how about telling us what we could do instead to improve and/or create a better rugby product. As nrc is at least trying to do something different and happy to accept better alternatives to work towards via constructive debate but just criticising something with out alternatives gets us no where.

So what would you propose as alternatives as we can't just criticise without alternatives being proposed as that is destructive and not constructive which has been the bigger problem amongst different rugby stakeholders imo.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The aru with their handling of the whole sanzaar fiasco and not even understanding their current legal position beggars belief and gives no confidence they are the right professional body to lead us. I personally think the real priority for culling should start at the Aru.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Am i the only person sniffing something odd with Wayne Smith's "You couldn't make it up if you tried?". Or perhaps earlier reporting?

Originally we were told that SANZAR was waiting on SARU and ARU to discuss with the stakeholders before confirming a revised format. Now we are told there was a commitment giving by the ARU in London.

Those two statements sound mutually exclusive, don't they?

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Follow up article "ARU vetoes SANZAAR decision to sue ARU"

Installment #18: SANZAAR uses little known clause to majority veto the ARU's veto of SANZAAR's decision to sue the ARU.

Installment #19: The ARU sues SANZAAR over their vetoing of the ARU's vetoing of SANZAAR suing the ARU.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Someone would need access to the official balance sheets and other ARU confidential information to give a definitive answer.

However, if what the ARU tells us is indeed correct, none of the super rugby franchises run at a profit. The portion of the SANZAAR broadcast money that relates to super rugby would seem to be less than what it costs the ARU to run its part of it. We've been told for years that the Wallabies fund the game, well I guess we need to hope that is true and an extended NRC will be funded from the Wallabies. I also think that an expanded NRC - all local games will be a much easier sell to sponsors and while any broadcast revenue would be small to start with, the costs involved in running a domestic, professional NRC would be exponentially less than that of super rugby.

There's tough times ahead no matter what we do, we are already losing players hand over fist to overseas clubs even with super rugby.

Every other significant sport has managed to introduce a national club competition as their elite system. There's no logical reason for assuming that it couldn't be done. (Whether it could be done under the current administration is another question entirely)
If you bump superugby you dont necessarily need an nrc because all your supe players will be available for club- you might want an nrc style club in Perth and Melbourne, I guess. The money from the wallabies, if we accept that that is where the money is does come through our tie up with SA and NZ.
I reckon this is big idea worth talking and thinking - not in that order- about: which rules out the ARU.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Litigation update:
Promises made to force in 2016: check.
Representations implied or express made to Rebels on purchase of licence: check.
Promises made to SANZAAR: check.
Promises and representations inconsistent with one another thereby revealing their falsity: check.
All systems are go: BET365 framing a market - no litigation the rank outsider.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Litigation update:
Promises made to force in 2016: check.
Representations implied or express made to Rebels on purchase of licence: check.
Promises made to SANZAAR: check.
Promises and representations inconsistent with one another thereby revealing their falsity: check.
All systems are go: BET365 framing a market - no litigation the rank outsider.

You forgot the fact that not all 5 franchises will face the same requirements to stay in - lack of procedural fairness and/or natural justic: check

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Does everone remember this?

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/02/08/australian-rugby-union-release-corporate-governance-review

It really isnt that long ago but the evidence is of abject failure.
The 5th recommendation is:
"Protecting and enhancing the game’s future."
However I can't see that the first 4 have been addressed, so I assume they are being dealt with them in random order.
Not sure how or why Arbilb got that gig: he didn't go to THAT school and whatever role he played in running the country should have ruled him out.
Having this as the 5th recommendation, umm, why wouldn't this be no 1?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You forgot the fact that not all 5 franchises will face the same requirements to stay in - lack of procedural fairness and/or natural justic: check
Without being to legalistic - I'm not convinced they have to afford natural justice in this commercial setting.
However they are building scope for a class action: all they need is 7 entities with the shits and a cause of action to match - at the rate they're making frenemies that should be in place by the dawn service at Byron bay.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The aru has completely lost the confidence of Australian rugby fans and key stakeholders to be the governing body for rugby in this country and hence we need to see wholesale changes in personnel at the ARU or the removal of the ARU as our governing body.

Enough is enough, heads need to roll for this complete fiasco and damage done by appalling lack of effective management. Need to stop the rot by showing this gross incompetence has consequences as do you think if this happened in the nrl there would not be blood on the streets. I am sick of our protected boy's club in rugby administration ranks. Time for some blood to flow and incompetence being met with removal of the old boy's protected species as they are only endangering our games probable extinction whilst these incompetent fools stay in place.

Time for a major revolution before it is too late and at this rate beginning to wonder with damage done it has not already reached this point.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The NRL went through far worse than this.

The Super League wars dwarfs anything that has happened in rugby.

But the game survived. Why? Because enough people like it, so they continued to watch it, support it, and play it.

A game cannot not be destroyed by quote/unquote management mistakes, incompetence, bad decisions, or any other top down influence.

A game can wither away, however. If the base starts to lose interest (or if the base is not regularly refreshed with new members), the end is nigh.

We live in a democracy, people make choices. Like it or not, look at the trend lines realistically. Our high point as a sport was reached in the early oughties, and it has been downhill ever since.

Blaming Pulver or the ARU, or Uncle Tom Cobbly, misses the point entirely. Ask your neighbour or your workmate whether they like rugby or not. Listen carefully to what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.