• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Super rugby has damaged its brand so badly after this fiasco I can't see it recovering without radical Changes.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

That's right, the brand name has suffered irreparable damage, drastic change is needed if they want to rebuild.. I know it won't happen, but a Champions League model is what's needed, or at least should be entertained.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's right, the brand name has suffered irreparable damage, drastic change is needed if they want to rebuild.. I know it won't happen, but a Champions League model is what's needed, or at least should be entertained.
Totally agree tocc, too much brand damage and hence New product with new brand is urgently required. And probably at same time a revolution in Australian rugby with major change.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oh for a allsports to come in with money and overthrow the Current regime.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Some food for thought; and consider the 20 year path to this point.

Is this a true reflection of the politics, actual supporter base and reality of the supposed heartland of rugby in Australia?

Hurricanes v Brumbies - 58k
Tahs v Kings - 41k

Although the numbers aren't advertised, we all know the crowd was also low.

Now consider this statement in the possible context that that NSW rugby is so splintered and has lost so much support from self-inflicted injuries it is struggling to survive:

"Given the current circumstances … I don't think we can support five sides in this country and be competitive," Davis told Fairfax Media. "There's a lot of external factors affecting that. The decision to reduce from five to four, as painful as it may be, is the right decision."

Davis said the bulk of that money should be given to NSW and Queensland given they are the heartbeat of rugby in Australia and produce the majority of Wallabies players.

"I'm unequivocally selfish in this," Davis said. "Focusing on NSW and my colleagues to the north in Queensland, we've got 80 per cent of the players, 80 per cent of the Super players, they all come from NSW and Queensland and that's there we believe any community funding should be directed."

In recent weeks we have seen the "real" support for the Force and the Rebels and and even to some degree the Brumbies.

The question worth asking here is what ACTUAL support do the Warratahs have? Not NSW Rugby, the Warratahs?

41K rating and crowds of about 12K in the supposed heartland of rugby?

Is our perception of rugby in Australia reality or what we perceive or really want it to be?

The numbers are painting a different picture.

dru

David Wilson (68)
IMHO Professional Rugby is almost dead in Australia. Nobody is watching excepting the few like us who are absolute tragics and know what is possible and continue to hope for it even though it is very improbable.

G, I truly wish that was all it was. But the tragics are turning off in droves. Its only the really diehard tragics that are continuing this conversation.

I didnt realise till I got up this morning, that not only had I not watched any rugby last night, I was at a rare rugby pub but the conversation was more interesting than Brums-Canes. Not only that, but I had not recorded a single game.

Yes I am a Reds fan and it's a bye. But I am a bloke who traditionally watches EVERY SINGLE Super game. Every one. And I didnt record one. Not one.

As a Qld-er living in Sydney, I HATE the SRU and the SS. But you know what? My rugby fix isnt coming from Super. I'm thinking about the locals again. Can anyone show me an easy way to work out where and when Balmain are playing?

The ARU test will be as the internationals come to play this year. We get a fan boost with the WBs that keeps pro rugby alive. Here's a haphazard guess - those guys will also dive to a nadir this year.

Anyone want to do a quick check on how active this forum has been this month compared to one year, three years ago?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Super rugby has damaged its brand so badly after this fiasco I can't see it recovering without radical Changes.

Though Rn39, the real, essential problem for Super Rugby here is that

(a) the quality of the rugby play and skills on display is generally poor, and getting worse and

(b) our win-loss ratios are awful, Aussie fans ultimately want to see wins and

(c) Kiwis team have improved massively and are consistently showing us up as being hopelessly left behind by them en masse and

(d) the Wallabies are less and less successful and less and less inspiring and look a zillion miles away from ever again winning a BC, the degrading of the Wallaby brand 'trickles down' to the inbuilt fan enthusiasm at the next level

moa999

Tom Lawton (22)
Roger Davis is apparently considering emergency measures for the next home rounds, including busing in 'western sydney' fans from as far out as Parramatta.

The ones that have 'only just come to mind'.
If public tickets reflected the quality of the play that might get a few more in.

Interestingly also saw an AFL ad for Kids free on Sundays, for all but a few likely near sellout games

dru

David Wilson (68)
Roger Davis is apparently considering emergency measures for the next home rounds, including busing in 'western sydney' fans from as far out as Parramatta.

The ones that have 'only just come to mind'.

Wow, seriously? As far out as Parramatta! Jeez. The geographic and demographic middle of Sydney!

Just wow! Were going so far out from the eastern strip, we might get as far as the centre of Sydney!!

Hey, things are looking up.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am seriously bemused that people think that the organisation is the core problem here.

LINK gave the players the opportunity and responsibility to behave like professional athletes and adults.

They failed.

They have continued to fail every test of what can be considered professional or responsible adult behaviour.

Change the coaches, the administration, the club names, whatever you want - nothing will change these players behaviour.

The players don't give a shit. They do just enough to play for a foreign contract, or enough to stay ahead of Johnny Noname playing in clubland.

That tah performance deserved the derision of their fans tbh. And it isn't the coach or the administration phoning in their performances.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I am seriously bemused that people think that the organisation is the core problem here.

LINK gave the players the opportunity and responsibility to behave like professional athletes and adults.

They failed.

They have continued to fail every test of what can be considered professional or responsible adult behaviour.

Change the coaches, the administration, the club names, whatever you want - nothing will change these players behaviour.

The players don't give a shit. They do just enough to play for a foreign contract, or enough to stay ahead of Johnny Noname playing in clubland.

That tah performance deserved the derision of their fans tbh. And it isn't the coach or the administration phoning in their performances.

Yep they failed.

You cant blame the failure on the troops without tarring the "leaders". ARU front and centre in this discussion. Though I dont doubt the player issues. Issues hitting every nation not just Aus.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
G, I truly wish that was all it was. But the tragics are turning off in droves. Its only the really diehard tragics that are continuing this conversation.

I didnt realise till I got up this morning, that not only had I not watched any rugby last night, I was at a rare rugby pub but the conversation was more interesting than Brums-Canes. Not only that, but I had not recorded a single game.

Yes I am a Reds fan and it's a bye. But I am a bloke who traditionally watches EVERY SINGLE Super game. Every one. And I didnt record one. Not one.

As a Qld-er living in Sydney, I HATE the SRU and the SS. But you know what? My rugby fix isnt coming from Super. I'm thinking about the locals again. Can anyone show me an easy way to work out where and when Balmain are playing?

The ARU test will be as the internationals come to play this year. We get a fan boost with the WBs that keeps pro rugby alive. Here's a haphazard guess - those guys will also dive to a nadir this year.

Anyone want to do a quick check on how active this forum has been this month compared to one year, three years ago?

I'm in the same boat as you, I watched last night because I got home from a big work week and just flaked on the lounge and put it on. I did not make time for it though as I used to.

As for the Wallabies, I used to look forward to it and know the exact schedule. I find myself indifferent this year with the only game I'm looking forward to being a Bledlisloe, and I'm not looking forward to the game so much but the company of my Rugby mates on our yearly tour.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I'm in the same boat as you, I watched last night because I got home from a big work week and just flaked on the lounge and put it on. I did not make time for it though as I used to.

As for the Wallabies, I used to look forward to it and know the exact schedule. I find myself indifferent this year with the only game I'm looking forward to being a Bledlisloe, and I'm not looking forward to the game so much but the company of my Rugby mates on our yearly tour.

Gnostic, if you and I are not unusual, the ARU has a seriously hard lesson coming. One that they can leave rugby in complete comfort, where rugby lovers have no comfort at all.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

They failed.

Leadership counts for a lot and the culture of an organisation is most often set from the top. Just look at the going on at the management level and you will see why the players display the professionalism they do. Brumbies financial games, Reds coaching appointments and world wide searches, Tahs being the Tahs, ARU investigations over Beale matter and before that the Euro tour fiasco that saw Mowen leave, the only incumbent Wallaby Captain that I can recall to announce he was leaving the Australian game while the Captain.

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
Rock Bottom has a basement after today!

Because the tahs lost to the kings?

Hardly. They got what they deserved from the performance they put in.
The most funded team in Aus rugby is super rugby's most under performing team, has been for at least 10 years now, and will be for the foreseeable future. As you cant change ingrained habits and ways of thinking.

In all honestly their issues might be too hard to solve, as an organisation like the NSWRU can't simply be re-booted. So attitudes, biases and habits are going to persist and be passed on.

(also not trying to "play the man here", hope you don't take it personally KP.)

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree. Although I do feel sorry for Clyne in that he's landed in the middle of this and much of it is not of his making. It's a bit like being made captain of the Titanic an hour after it hit the iceberg. His main role should be to get as much in the lifeboats as possible.

To me this seems like incredibly good manoeuvring from Pulver. Ultimately this is his fault. Whether the problem was caused by him or not. He's the CEO, and hasn't made the right adjustments to steer us away from the cliffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.