• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Whilst I accept we can't replace super rugby at this point with our own domestic competition we need to continue to invest in a semi pro alternative like nrc etc (or alternatives) and try and grow this so can eventually replace Reliance on super rugby as it is clearly dying a rapid death. Eventually would like to see super rugby more a champions league format where top teams from domestic or alternative conferences compete.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^

These of necessity to be wholly replaced by one very lean national body with equally lean State support groups.

I wouldn't even have the support groups state based. I'd completely eliminate that layer of bureaucracy and have clubs grouped into geographical regions. For example North Coast of NSW and Gold Coast Qld in the same region.

If a NSWRU and a QRU still exist - they should have no role other than providing an entity for state of origin teams to nominally represent.

S

sidelineview

So, what is the circuit breaker that will bring the current shambles to an end and start to institute a replacement model for running the code in this country?

Can't see a fan revolt being successful. Not enough cohesion amongst the various groups or a leadership group to drag the rest of us along. In any case, the dire crowds at games don't seem to have much effect on the people at the top, other than probably to reinforce their view that one of the franchises has to be cut.

I think the only body with the influence to bring about real change is probably Fox. There must come a time, the way things are going, that they just walk away from the current arrangements. That would certainly bring about the demise of Aus participation in Super Rugby and perhaps with it the dismantling of the current structures running the game. In that event, I hope that Fox or another body is able to establish an alternative structure based on good commercial footings to revive and run the game into the future - a bit like the split and regeneration of cricket under WSC and the ARL to NRL conversion.

Good point.

Money talks the loudest.

S

sidelineview

Sadly, as RH indicates, it only ends with cataclysmic failure followed by government intervention.

I think Brumby Runner makes a good point re Foxtel.

They may not be able to establish an alternate structure but they could possibly influence the demise or at least the restructuring of the current form of governance. They can exert some pressure.

Denying kids their pocket money works wonders when they wont clean their room up.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Sadly, as RH indicates, it only ends with cataclysmic failure followed by government intervention.

As my close rugby mates know, I've long speculated that the final big insolvency and related outcomes for our ARU would likely come c.2018-9.

And, post that essential, radical cleansing, that the rugby rebuild here would be led by World Rugby and the NZRU acting in concert as these parties would not want to see the genuine death of rugby in Australia, especially as rugby in the RSA is directly headed for a similar crisis (though with a very different genesis than Australia's).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Does the government care?

If, in my scenario, World Rugby was leading a radical, positive rebuild of rugby in Australia, and the existing ARU was disbanded back to just holding wakes for itself in Sydney's top restaurants and Mosman bistros, then there'd be a very good chance the NSW and QLD governments would financially and/or in kind contribute to that rebuild program.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I wouldn't even have the support groups state based. I'd completely eliminate that layer of bureaucracy and have clubs grouped into geographical regions. For example North Coast of NSW and Gold Coast Qld in the same region.

If a NSWRU and a QRU still exist - they should have no role other than providing an entity for state of origin teams to nominally represent.

Yeah, you're probably right.

And there is just huge cost wastage in the way the running of the code is structured today.

Until recently the QRU had no less than 3 'media and communications' officers. A c. $20m revenue pa business FFS.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Waratahs drew 10,555 fans last night. Many of them would have been Waratah members, SFS members and corporates.

As a comparison, Manly v Sydney Uni had 4,000 a couple of weeks back, Manly and Warringah will draw about 7,000 to each of their local derby games.

As someone who supported our original entry in to super rugby and for most of the past 2 decades has been to most home games, I've become convinced that we need to divorce ourselves from it as soon as possible.

Regardless of the merits of the competition for SA and NZ, it's not a model that works in Australian sport. Short term, there would perhaps be a couple of tough years, but I have confidence that long term we will be in a much better place financially and in terms of genuine participation and fan engagement.

Nothing can be done with the current administration in place at ARU, NSWRU and QRU - they need to be ruthlessly purged.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^
QH, once the carbuncle-like shackles of the old/existing model for Australian rugby is dispensed with in mental planning and structuring terms, IMO really exciting, positive, invigorating new ideas and constructs emerge for how the game could be soooooo much better structured and run in Australia.

Giving rebirth to the great positives, once again.

But 'done right' this time around.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Update from the Force;

ROAD SAFETY WESTERN FORCE UPDATE

By David Berrie on Fri 21st April 17
Team%20Ann%20v%20CHI_0.jpg
Recent media reports have suggested that the Road Safety Western Force’s continued participation in the Super Rugby competition hinges on the outcome of a further meeting between the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) Board and the RugbyWA Board.
RugbyWA’s position is clear. Under current arrangements the Road Safety Western Force is entitled to participate in the Super Rugby competition until 30 December 2020.
There is no basis on which the ARU can purport to remove the Western Force from the Super Rugby competition. The ARU must work to ensure that the Western Force remains based in Perth for many seasons to come.
Put simply, RugbyWA is not required to ‘state a business (or any) case’ for the Western Force to remain in the Super Rugby competition.
That said, RugbyWA remains committed to working with the ARU to help it find a way to achieve a resolution of the current uncertainty. Rugby WA has sought a meeting with the ARU next Thursday, 27 April 2017 to progress discussions as to how it might assist the ARU. https://www.westernforce.com.au/article/road-safety-western-force-update

Just to note: interesting that the ARU has at no time stated that the binding obligation for the Force's existence to 2020 as RugbyWA allege exists, does not exist.

S

sidelineview

^^^
QH, once the carbuncle-like shackles of the old/existing model for Australian rugby is dispensed with in mental planning and structuring terms, IMO really exciting, positive, invigorating new ideas and constructs emerge for how the game could be soooooo much better structured and run in Australia.

Giving rebirth to the great positives, once again.

But 'done right' this time around.

And kids would still be starting little school and would be ripe to enlist in the future rugby army, and go onto to play junior club rugby and if possible play the game in high school and then Colts, Grade etc etc.

A thinktank could review the private and public highschool rugby competitions to reinvigorate the game at that level.

Development Officers would need to be employed to get around to the schools and to run clinics at existing junior clubs.

And Alan Jones should continue to be active in protesting and trying to reform the game. No one likes him, not even his mother, but he has an influential voice in the media.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, you're probably right.

And there is just huge cost wastage in the way the running of the code is structured today.

Until recently the QRU had no less than 3 'media and communications' officers. A c. $20m revenue pa business FFS.

I think the media and communications out of Qld is fabulous. Their coverage of Premier, clubs, junior, schools and womens rugby is excellent. Their streaming is brilliant. For me it targets getting the Super fan closer to the grass roots.

I wouldn't want cost cutting here.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Waratahs drew 10,555 fans last night. Many of them would have been Waratah members, SFS members and corporates.

As a comparison, Manly v Sydney Uni had 4,000 a couple of weeks back, Manly and Warringah will draw about 7,000 to each of their local derby games.

As someone who supported our original entry in to super rugby and for most of the past 2 decades has been to most home games, I've become convinced that we need to divorce ourselves from it as soon as possible.

Regardless of the merits of the competition for SA and NZ, it's not a model that works in Australian sport. Short term, there would perhaps be a couple of tough years, but I have confidence that long term we will be in a much better place financially and in terms of genuine participation and fan engagement.

Nothing can be done with the current administration in place at ARU, NSWRU and QRU - they need to be ruthlessly purged.
I think you may be right.
Where would/could the money come from to pay the players who need to be paid?
PS: none of he 10,555 will own up to being there!

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the NZRU is to be instrumental in reviving our code, maybe a combined Mitre 10/NRC could be a good first step?
This is the tricky bit. NZRU won't want to change up their Mitre 10 Cup. Our best bet would be to have a competition that goes along side but does not change its current make up.

Status
Not open for further replies.