• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Does tinkering around the edges of the laws of the game have a huge impact on viewers? Some will like changes, some won't. This change was brought in because it was viewed as likely to reduce injuries but people aren't reacting well to it.

Clearly we don't have the power to change the laws of rugby but I would argue that rugby has probably undergone more change in the last 20 years in terms of laws than the other two codes.
It has an impact on the level of discussion. Rule changes happen every year and the fans know changes are possible. It is just something else to feed the sporting media. It also feeds their out of season cycle as that's when the decisions tend to be made. I am talking about the AFL here. Don't have exposure to NRL media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I have a story for you the ARU reduced the number of teams in the firing line to two after weeks of speculation. Both of these teams had legal agreements with impediments to the ARU shutting them down.

The ARU announced a 48-72 hour "consultation" period where they go to Perth and tell the Force you are the unlucky team. Some consultation hey. RugbyWA then issue the ARU with a writ.

The ARU then announce the process will take longer than 48-72 hours and a "due process" will be undertaken. So the consultation process was not a due process?

So does anyone want to buy the script to a satirical TV show about a major sporting organisation with operational issues? I imagine it would be similar to The Games starring the late and great John Clarke.

If someone read the above facts in isolation they would have a good belly laugh and say surely a large sporting organisation doesn't operate like that. Unfortunately for us it does.

Seriously I can't believe that the ARU went to Perth not knowing about the "2020" clause or if they did know about it not expecting RugbyWA to use it. More incompetence.

I have always hoped that all five teams survive and I hope the planned legal action on both sides make it too expensive for the ARU and they have to go back to SANZAAR and say the most financially viable option for us is now to keep all five teams. (Obviously governance processes would have to change if that was the case).

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
FakeNews

Brumbies have lost almost as much as the Force over the past 4 years($3-$4milliom), the only difference is that the Brumbies had some change leftover from Griffith.. that's all but gone now, they are now in the same financial position as every other club, and with no equity in the new HQ to leverage either.

And before someone mentions they were scheduled to post a profit this year, well all clubs have received an additional $2million in grants, it's expected they post a profit.

And they leased this for 5 Million for the next 30 years... by selling the old bowl club HQ... I think they plan on staying around a while...

On three levels, the $16 million headquarters, the first stage of a sports hub for the University of Canberra, includes a hydrotherapy pool, sleep centre, 50-seat theatrette and environmental chamber for exercising under controlled temperature, humidity and oxygen pressure to simulate altitude.

But players will walk about 100 metres to the refectory on the university's main campus, a deliberate step, says general manager Simon Chester, to foster interaction with the university community.

Alexander says the walk is insignificant compared with having the team's best-ever access to recovery essentials of food, water and sleep.
''Having our own recovery session right there, as soon as you walk off the training field, rather than wandering and waiting 15 minutes before you start recovering, it's all those little 1 per centers, it will make a really big improvement,'' he said.
''This will be a state-of-the-art facility, it will put us on the map, help with recruiting, the whole overall image of the Brumbies, I think, being in a professional environment such as a university and a brand new facility,'' Mr Edwards said.

Ninety Brumbies staff including the players will share the new buildings, with the university's Research Institute for Sport and Exercise, Special Olympics and ACTSPORT.
Players will walk off an international-standard playing field into showers, hot tub, hydrotherapy pool and sleep room on the ground floor and have exclusive access to a gym on the second floor that will also have a merchandising area and ACT Sports Hall of Fame.

At the rear of the north-facing building are a skills field with grass and all-weather carpet surfaces and sand pit for rehabilitation workouts and wrestling.

From their third level office and laboratory research staff will look down onto the second level indoor running track, which covers two lanes over 60 metres.

ACTSPORT will have offices on the third floor for individual groups.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
And they leased this for 5 Million for the next 30 years. by selling the old bowl club HQ. I think they plan on staying around a while.

On three levels, the $16 million headquarters, the first stage of a sports hub for the University of Canberra, includes a hydrotherapy pool, sleep centre, 50-seat theatrette and environmental chamber for exercising under controlled temperature, humidity and oxygen pressure to simulate altitude.

But players will walk about 100 metres to the refectory on the university's main campus, a deliberate step, says general manager Simon Chester, to foster interaction with the university community.

Alexander says the walk is insignificant compared with having the team's best-ever access to recovery essentials of food, water and sleep.
''Having our own recovery session right there, as soon as you walk off the training field, rather than wandering and waiting 15 minutes before you start recovering, it's all those little 1 per centers, it will make a really big improvement,'' he said.
''This will be a state-of-the-art facility, it will put us on the map, help with recruiting, the whole overall image of the Brumbies, I think, being in a professional environment such as a university and a brand new facility,'' Mr Edwards said.

Ninety Brumbies staff including the players will share the new buildings, with the university's Research Institute for Sport and Exercise, Special Olympics and ACTSPORT.
Players will walk off an international-standard playing field into showers, hot tub, hydrotherapy pool and sleep room on the ground floor and have exclusive access to a gym on the second floor that will also have a merchandising area and ACT Sports Hall of Fame.

At the rear of the north-facing building are a skills field with grass and all-weather carpet surfaces and sand pit for rehabilitation workouts and wrestling.

From their third level office and laboratory research staff will look down onto the second level indoor running track, which covers two lanes over 60 metres.

ACTSPORT will have offices on the third floor for individual groups.

I would be cautious about the details of this arrangement noting that the actually wasn't signed as initially reported until after Jones departed, 2 years after it was supposedly agreed to. The terminology used had involved wording from lease, to co-investors, to partners, and agreement. Details are still hard to find out including how much the "pre-paid" rent actually did buy (lease time) and its linked to what is being scrutinised by ASIC and suppressed by the courts.

The key issue is it provides the Brumbies with no capital putting them at the mercy of the ACT Government and UC.

It's a shared facility provided by UC that the Brumbies have very limited say over it; and that only the part they use or have rights to.

As good as it is, it probably the dumbest thing the Brumbies ever did - and that sentiment was well reported when Jones showed up and discovered the deal details.

So consider that the ACT Government did offer the standard $1 (one dollar) peppercorn lease for land (as per most sporting groups like the Raiders - who own 3 facilitates!) but they declined it. If they had of invested the $5million in to bricks and mortar they would be fantastically placed with capital to lean on and able to control their own destiny. (this is even after ballsing up the Griffith sale).

Now they have nothing. It was effectively a $5mil donation to UC for 30yrs of being tied to one building.

The Brumbies are proudly the only Super Rugby team that does not own any of its facilities!

As a Brumbies supporter can I please ask you let this go as the whole episode starting from the abandoning of their $30mil development investment on the site (the current investments on the site is valued at in excess of $110mil!), to selling the land at an undervalued price (at least $5mil less that it was independently valued at), is an advertisement of both business and administrative incompetence on a multitude of levels which will always be remembered for the damage it did to the Brumbies (and ACTRU) and the financially opportunities that that have been wholly squandered leaving the club with nothing but the $1.5mil cash in the bank and no other reserves or capital.

Simply put, what you spruik above they could have owed themselves but don't.

T

TOCC

And they leased this for 5 Million for the next 30 years. by selling the old bowl club HQ. I think they plan on staying around a while.

And the Western Force moved into their new $17million facility in 2011.....
https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/Barnett/2011/07/New-rugby-headquarters-open.aspx
The facility features:
• multiple offices and large, open-plan administration area
• multiple meeting rooms/combined staff-player breakout area
• large team performance area
• theatrette
• elite change room area
• hydrotherapy and shower facilities
• strength and conditioning areas
• player lounge
• video room
• library
• massage, physiotherapy and sports medicine clinic for the Western Force
• multifunction media room
• merchandising retail area
• secure undercroft parking.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/b...umbies-make-more-changes-20170418-gvmvnj.html

Fardy, who will move to Ireland at the end of the year, hit out the drawn out process but said it shouldn't come as a surprise because Super Rugby has a history of dragging its feet on big decisions.

"It's disappointing it has taken this long, but are you surprised?" Fardy said.

"This is the game we're in. It's been like this for a long time, the officialdom has always been like that in my time because you've got a lot of guys in suits who you never see in this game.

"Everyone looks at the ARU at the moment, but you wouldn't know who the head of SANZAAR [Super Rugby's governing body] is, I wouldn't know what he looked like.

"In other sports in Australia we have a head we can look at. But in SANZAAR rugby we don't, it's faceless men in suits in board rooms and it's the same with the judicial process.

"It doesn't surprise me it's gone this long, with the different entities ... it's a mess."

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I cant keep up with this thread.

Can ARU go back to SANZAR and say each franchise has their operations in order, a pathway that will develop rugby, we are not going to drop a team.

Then Pulver has to have a backbone strong enough to do that and stand by his team (5 franchises) and support them. At the moment both Rebs, Force and their supporters are sure showing the desired fight you'd want in your team.

Then the ARU need to step back and have a good hard look a them selves and say well we foooked up in a number of areas over the last 5 years - and make changes.

ARU (governing body) - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -- - - - Australian Rugby Union (the punters, volunteers, supporters) (the gap is HUGE), the ARU have lost complete touch with their fan base.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why don't the 5 franchises get together as one and go to the ARU and state a unified position that all want the five to remain.

Perhaps they could offer to take a haircut on the grant, and given the Force buy out, then the financial situation should improve for the ARU.

ARU then go back to Sanzaar and veto the deal. 5 teams remain,

would that work?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Why don't the 5 franchises get together as one and go to the ARU and state a unified position that all want the five to remain.

Perhaps they could offer to take a haircut on the grant, and given the Force buy out, then the financial situation should improve for the ARU.

would that work?

Like the basics of that but that old saying,

I dont think think the coach has the changeroom
or
I dont think the players respect the captain.

Possibly applies to the ARU - I think the ARU has last support of their players (5x soup teams), and the supports - us.

So the respect and support needs to be restored - how?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am buggered if I can see how having 5 Australian franchises will arrest the slide in television audience numbers.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

would that work?

Well I don't believe there is support amongst the franchises for five teams so it will not be likely. The Waratahs CEO has spoken of the need to cut a team and how that will help NSW. I would be surprised if similar views were not held privately at other franchises.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well I don't believe there is support amongst the franchises for five teams so it will not be likely. The Waratahs CEO has spoken of the need to cut a team and how that will help NSW. I would be surprised if similar views were not held privately at other franchises.

That was the Chairman, Roger Davis. I haven't really heard much from Andrew Hore on this issue but generally his comments about supporting grassroots and growing the game have been really positive.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
That was the Chairman, Roger Davis. I haven't really heard much from Andrew Hore on this issue but generally his comments about supporting grassroots and growing the game have been really positive.
I'm sure as is their usual form the Tahs can't wait to dance on someone's grave
If not western Sydney then why not Western Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.