• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't get that 2nd Marquee spot stuff at all. Did they mean we now have access to four marquee spots (two capped, two developing players)? Because we currently have Mathewson (capped) and Ebersohn and Hayward (uncapped). Lock stocks in Australia are a bit bare.

There aren't any top flight 13s going around in Australian rugby. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is about the only one I rate and he's locked up at the Waratahs. We'd be better off focusing our efforts on Rasolea at 13 and maybe having Cummins (if he re-signs) as a back up.
Yes thats right 2 capped 2 development

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think anyone looking to Walton as a regular s15 lock might be jumping the gun. He needs to show a bit more diversity before he can hope to nail down a starting spot.

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
Rasolea or Stubbs? or perhaps finally CTM
Rasolea is my favourite 13 in the current squad. Plus, he's very young and has room for improvement, I hope his expiring contract will be extended for the next seasons.
Anyway, we should consider that Rasolea himself needs to improve and find his favourite position on the pitch (does he prefer playing at 12, 13 or at the wing?)
So...needless to say in this position there's no adequate replacement. Stanley offers nothing special imho, CTM was supposed to be an inside centre and nobody knows why he's had just a couple of caps in his entire professional carrer. Stubbs has had a couple of good games at the wing, not enough to be considered a reliable player at 13. In a situation like this, it is essential to sign a handy outside centre to alternate with Rasolea.
Once done this, I think the Force still need a prop, a hooker (just in case Charles leaves) a lock and a good game plan (the "let's-go-straight" one is not working.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Unless there is a contract clause that has not been publicised, Charles is signed for next season. Pretty sure I saw Tim Fairbrother's name in the Shute Shield team lists somewhere. He might be worth a look in if available and then Ollie Hoskins could come into the EPS. Otherwise, it would be great to get Cruze Ah-Nau back simply because he is a WA product.

The big priorities probably need to be a big MFing lock, a big MFing 6/8 and a quality outside back or two.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unless there is a contract clause that has not been publicised, Charles is signed for next season. Pretty sure I saw Tim Fairbrother's name in the Shute Shield team lists somewhere. He might be worth a look in if available and then Ollie Hoskins could come into the EPS. Otherwise, it would be great to get Cruze Ah-Nau back simply because he is a WA product.

The big priorities probably need to be a big MFing lock, a big MFing 6/8 and a quality outside back or two.

The Force need more backrowers?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think anyone looking to Walton as a regular s15 lock might be jumping the gun. He needs to show a bit more diversity before he can hope to nail down a starting spot.

From what i have seen at shut eshield he has all the tools. But when you go up o super Xv especially your first 2 caps you just get the basics right and build confidence form there. i think if he continues to come along the spot is his for the taking.

However if we are looking for a big lock as a marquee i would love for us to pick up someone like juandre Kruger or Andreis Bekker who i believe ar ecoming off contract.

Or if pigs fly we might sign some leviathin like Richie Grey!

Force need to develop rasolea as our 13 or buy a new one. Cummins is not the answer if premierships are the ultimate goal

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
I asked this on the TWF forum, but has anyone ever gotten legit confirmation that Mafi is going to Japan? The only thing I've seen is journo rumor-mongering, but never any confirmation from the man himself, or from the Force. Perhaps I just missed it. Has anyone seen any confirmation that this is a real thing?

It's such a bad move - just as he's hitting his straps and starting to be mentioned in Wallaby conversations, he's gonna piss of to Japan? Weirder things have happened, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Force need more backrowers?

Yes and no. We need a different type of backrower. We have a lot of high work rate, low impact/explosiveness backrowers. Most games this season we have been able to retain possession for long periods of time but what we aren't doing is going anywhere with it. We need a guy like Palu, Auelua, L. Timani who doesn't work as hard but puts in the thumping tackles and sucks in defenders.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I asked this on the TWF forum, but has anyone ever gotten legit confirmation that Mafi is going to Japan? The only thing I've seen is journo rumor-mongering, but never any confirmation from the man himself, or from the Force. Perhaps I just missed it. Has anyone seen any confirmation that this is a real thing?

It's such a bad move - just as he's hitting his straps and starting to be mentioned in Wallaby conversations, he's gonna piss of to Japan? Weirder things have happened, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

nothing official from any source has come out.

One of the Posters on TWF said it was a done deal a few weeks back but nothing has been said.

The only media from the Force and Mafi was that of a video on mafi where he said he would love to stay at the force if everything works out. see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpFq7zAXxxU

You would think that if it was a done deal and he had signed something more would have come out in the last few weeks so I’m still holding out hope he isn’t going.

The reasons given from the TWF poster was that he is supporting his large family and that the money on offer was so great you couldn’t turn it down.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Yes and no. We need a different type of backrower. We have a lot of high work rate, low impact/explosiveness backrowers. Most games this season we have been able to retain possession for long periods of time but what we aren't doing is going anywhere with it. We need a guy like Palu, Auelua, L. Timani who doesn't work as hard but puts in the thumping tackles and sucks in defenders.

Richard Brown is filling this role nicely and is only improving. I am especially happy with his output considering beginning of last year there was talk that he was being held together by nothing but tape!
Also this doesn't just fall to backrow it's on everyone Tessman and MMM i think have been exceptional with winning the contact and especially with ball in hand.

I also think Angus Cottrel will develop into an excellent ball runner, it is his first full year and he is getting the 'shitters' right atm which is what you when cementing your position. But on Friday night he had soem good runs and at Club level that was wha the was known for. Alcock is also very handy in the contact zone.

Backrowers isnt were stocks need to improve its tight five, specifically prop.

It Is Known

Bob McCowan (2)
Not sure if this is old news, But Ian Prior just confirmed on Twitter that he's signed with the force for 2014.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
nothing official from any source has come out.

One of the Posters on TWF said it was a done deal a few weeks back but nothing has been said.

The only media from the Force and Mafi was that of a video on mafi where he said he would love to stay at the force if everything works out. see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpFq7zAXxxU

You would think that if it was a done deal and he had signed something more would have come out in the last few weeks so I’m still holding out hope he isn’t going.

The reasons given from the TWF poster was that he is supporting his large family and that the money on offer was so great you couldn’t turn it down.

Thanks Gaffa - so many were talking like it was a done deal, I was wondering if I had missed something. I guess I'll still hold out hope then!

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I see there seems to be a few question marks over 13 for next year. I would be putting Luke Morahan there. Has dominated Brisbane club rugby in this position for the last few seasons and I believe is pretty keen to get some starts there at the next level

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Should the force get an extra home game too make up for the travel? I vote yes but there would be way to many people whinge. The thing is, NZ or eastern aus or sa get to play practically down the road once or twice a year. Our closest game is 2800km from home.

Melbourne to Sydney is about 700 km and its the same from Sydney to Brisbane.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I dont think we need an extra home game.

This years travel has been bad because of the request to play away because of the stadium but us having to travel to nz twice in 4 week is just dumb and should be looked at.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I dont think we need an extra home game.

This years travel has been bad because of the request to play away because of the stadium but us having to travel to nz twice in 4 week is just dumb and should be looked at.

Its always bad. We are the most traveled team in sport. And if
Anything we
Have made it easier for other teams because now they can go to NZ or SA and stop
Off In Perth to play. Like a bloody rest atop. Where as b4 they had to travel all the way back home for a game.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cummins off to France by the look of it
Zac holmes coming back west next season

are you just referring to this? http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/french-club-montpellier-in-pursuit-of-western-forces-nick-cummins/story-fndpu3o3-1226630653863

or do you have some inside info?

I wouldn’t be to worried if its just the article all French clubs would be after him but after just cracking the Wobs i doubt he will be quick to chase the money he is only 25/26 still plenty of time to cash in.

Status
Not open for further replies.