• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
definately agree hornet unless there is something the force know that we dont i cant see why they would spend a couple of years developing an Aus U20 flyhalf only to never utilise him

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
And that's the only doubt I have. Maybe they do know something we don't (obviously). But if that's the case, you wouldn't keep him in the squad? It's not like the Force or Australian teams in general haven't taken a punt on a young back before.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Goodwin played in the Force A last week and I think he will line up again this week against the Rebel Rising so he is still there about coming back from injury. The issue is i don’t think anyone at the force (coaches) rate the local comp and would rather look to players from over east than give a local guy a chance.

Yes the local comp may not be up to the standard of others but some of the players I have no doubt can make the step up. So many of them have made the move east to play shield rugby and have done a good job but still have been overlooked returned back to Perth and have been lost to the system.

Until someone with some balls as Rugby WA stands up and says its time to give the local boys are real shot not just the chance to train with us this will continue to happen.

The forces have a young local Lock in there training team atm Jack Ball. A very promising young lock how has been given the chance to train full time with big boys (for free) they did the same thing with another local player Brent Murphy a few years ago and he was never given the chance to step up. He went east played his heart out and from what I heard did really well. But still no Super rugby and know he is 25 and I fear will never get that chance.

I just hope player like Goodwin and Ball are thrown in the deepen end soon and they we can see if they will sink or swim instead of the preconceived ideas of the Perth comp.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Thanks Gaffa, that does give me some hope. I agree with your comment about increasing the links to the local club comp. That is the future of the franchise really.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rebel Rising v Emirates Western Force A
Friday, 23 March 2012 at AAMI Park, Melbourne

1. Tetera Faulkner
2. Elvis Taione
3. Salesi Manu
4. Phoenix Battye
5. Blake Enever
6. Anare Koliavu
7. Ryan Hodson (c)
8. Lachlan McCaffrey
9. AJ Smith
10. Ben Seymour
11. Ben Titoko
12. Terence Hepetema
13. Ammon Matuato
14. Tyrone Lefau
15. Kyle Godwin
Reserves
16. Ray Barkwill
17. Ollie Hoskins
18. Joe Savage
19. Jake Ball
20. Nick Haining
21. Wes Roberts
22. Hayden Baird
23. Chance Bunce

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rebel Rising v Emirates Western Force A
Friday, 23 March 2012 at AAMI Park, Melbourne

1. Tetera Faulkner
2. Elvis Taione
3. Salesi Manu
4. Phoenix Battye
5. Blake Enever
6. Anare Koliavu
7. Ryan Hodson (c)
8. Lachlan McCaffrey
9. AJ Smith
10. Ben Seymour
11. Ben Titoko
12. Terence Hepetema
13. Ammon Matuato
14. Tyrone Lefau
15. Kyle Godwin
Reserves
16. Ray Barkwill
17. Ollie Hoskins
18. Joe Savage
19. Jake Ball
20. Nick Haining
21. Wes Roberts
22. Hayden Baird
23. Chance Bunce

This team proves my point Murphy who has played all the games for the Force A gets left out of the squad for a QRU player in Blake Enever...need i say more

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I keep seeing this Ollie Hoskins' name around. He must still be Oz U20 eligible as well.

What are you WA blokes' opinions on him?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I keep seeing this Ollie Hoskins' name around. He must still be Oz U20 eligible as well.

What are you WA blokes' opinions on him?

Another of the mugs who are training full time with the squad on no contract he is a big bloke for 19/20 he is part of the under 20 Aus programme. He is very promising good scrummager at L/H but can get lost around the park. But like another young up and coming prop from WA Cruze Ah-nue I fear he will be lost with out the backing of WA rugby to give him a go with the big boys.

kiwi

Frank Nicholson (4)
Another of the mugs who are training full time with the squad on no contract he is a big bloke for 19/20 he is part of the under 20 Aus programme. He is very promising good scrummager at L/H but can get lost around the park. But like another young up and coming prop from WA Cruze Ah-nue I fear he will be lost with out the backing of WA rugby to give him a go with the big boys.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
I just hope player like Goodwin and Ball are thrown in the deep end soon and they we can see if they will sink or swim instead of the preconceived ideas of the Perth comp.

I agree with the sentiment completely, however, my only reservation would be if these young players are thrown in the deep end and then do not instantly perform at the Super Rugby level we will not only see them discarded too early, but also see them used as justification that the WA club scene does not prepare players for the next level up.

If these young players are introduced without at least some medium-term plan (ala McKenzie with players such as Gill), I fear the repercussions could be grave for young WA based players for years to come.

W

Waylon

Goodwin played in the Force A last week and I think he will line up again this week against the Rebel Rising so he is still there about coming back from injury. The issue is i don’t think anyone at the force (coaches) rate the local comp and would rather look to players from over east than give a local guy a chance.

Yes the local comp may not be up to the standard of others but some of the players I have no doubt can make the step up. So many of them have made the move east to play shield rugby and have done a good job but still have been overlooked returned back to Perth and have been lost to the system.

Until someone with some balls as Rugby WA stands up and says its time to give the local boys are real shot not just the chance to train with us this will continue to happen.

The forces have a young local Lock in there training team atm Jack Ball. A very promising young lock how has been given the chance to train full time with big boys (for free) they did the same thing with another local player Brent Murphy a few years ago and he was never given the chance to step up. He went east played his heart out and from what I heard did really well. But still no Super rugby and know he is 25 and I fear will never get that chance.

I just hope player like Goodwin and Ball are thrown in the deepen end soon and they we can see if they will sink or swim instead of the preconceived ideas of the Perth comp.

Agreed

The "second tier" is a perfect platform to launch the locals and see how they step up

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Cotteral has been going ok but the Force need to get Wykes into 6. He is a good athlete and from six he can play a bit wider giving the force a bit more potencey out wide.

W

Waylon

Cotteral has been going ok but the Force need to get Wykes into 6. He is a good athlete and from six he can play a bit wider giving the force a bit more potencey out wide.

Wykes is symptomatic of everything that stinks downwind of a Fremantle westerly. They keep Wykes and let Luke Jones go. Wykes looks good with his fro blowing in the breeze on the wing but when some big hits are required or a counter ruck is on or a hit up into some tough defence is needed he will be seen in the backline with his hands on his knees or adjusting his hair band.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Wykes has been great at the Force and I can't believe there is any criticism of the way he's played. He'd be one of my first picked every week. Besides, the problem is not the pack. The Force forwards were all over the Rebels like an ill-fitting shirt on Friday night, but we went sideways to blokes standing still in attack.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Wykes has been great at the Force and I can't believe there is any criticism of the way he's played. He'd be one of my first picked every week. Besides, the problem is not the pack. The Force forwards were all over the Rebels like an ill-fitting shirt on Friday night, but we went sideways to blokes standing still in attack.
Exactly. They are in a position where they can afford to have him playing wider. Out wide is where the Force has issues and Wykes could offer a bit more of a threat in the loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.