• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Big I

New signing - Ben Seymour

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manly's season-ending loss to University is not all bad news for the club

MANLY’S disappointment at being eliminated from the rugby premiership by Sydney University a game short of the grand final came with confirmation that two of their stars have picked up Super Rugby contracts for next season.

Prop Eddie Aholelei has signed with the Melbourne Rebels, while utility back Ben Seymour is joining the Western Force.

And rising second-rower Cadeyrn Neville is also waiting to hear if he will be joining the Rebels for 2012.

The news is recognition of the good season Manly enjoyed and the way players developed under the guidance of coach Tim Lane.

Aholelei has been one of the most impressive front-rowers in the Shute Shield and has signed a one-year deal with an option for a second season in Melbourne.

And he has paid tribute to the role the Marlins have played in securing the deal he has worked so hard for over several seasons.

“Manly got me to where I am now and it is thanks to them,” Aholelei said.

“I am excited and there is still room for me to learn especially at that level.”

Seymour has signed a two-year contract and has to be in Perth by the end of October to commence pre-season training.

“It happened so fast, I’m absolutely stoked,” he said.

It means Sunday’s loss to University at TG Millner Field was possibly the last game Aholelei and Seymour played for the Marlins until at least July next year.

“We are going to have to really look at rebuilding for next year. Super 15 is going to be longer,” Lane said.

“It’s great for them but we are really going to have to plan about who is here next year and go from there.”

Manly showed plenty of spirit against a team who are club rugby’s equivalent of Spanish soccer giants, Real Madrid.

“We were in it and very competitive but I suppose Uni’s experience told in the end,” Lane said.

“We weren’t far away really, if we had taken two or three opportunities down the right side both halves it could have been a different ball game.

“Uni are a good team and strong in their set piece. A couple of tries from mauls was the difference really. They didn’t create much.”

Lane said while the final score line didn’t flatter the Marlins, it didn’t reflect the effort and the tightness of the contest.

As Aholelei said:

“The boys are tired because we put the effort in.”

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au...-for-the-club/

R

rugby_man

Ben Seymour is a great signing. He can play a few important positions and has done very well in the Shute Shield since finishing school. He has developed a very good running game of late as he has been shifted from his usual position of flyhalf to either 12 or 15. I'd have him on the bench for Round One to be honest.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Seymour has been in the Tahs academy but I understand he wasn't offered a new contract I guess due to Bernard Foley, he has struggled to boss a game at 10 this season but looked pretty good at 15.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
It makes 31 players for me... I maybe missed one departure
H: Charles, Whittaker
P: Cowan, Faulkner, Longbottom, Ma'afu
2L: Battye, Lynn, Sharpe, Wykes
3L: Brown, Hodgson, McCaffrey, McCalman, Pocock
SH: Sheehan, Swanepoel, Stannard, Turner
FH: Ripia, Seymour
C: Fairbanks, Sidey, Stanley, Tupou
W: Cummins, Mafi, Nalaga, Shepherd
F: Dellit, Rapana

T

tranquility

You would have thought so? he and Turner could become a fantastic one-two punch at the Force, similar to Charles and Whittaker. Not only because they are two young halfbacks, but because they offer such different skill sets. Turner the quintessential justin marshall type player, and Swanny the tough as nails follow me Kelleher like 9. Bring it on Force, you squad is looking very bloody promising.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Cadeyrn Neville looks a pretty good buy for the Rebels, big mobile unit. Apparently he is an ex AIS rower, 120kg & 202cm

I thought he had been signed already but obviously not. I've written about him before. He is an outstanding prospect who took a break from rowing not too long ago and played some subbies league. He then realised his body shape was better suited to the 15 man game and showed up at Manly Oval and got into 1st grade last year fairly quickly.

He's a very athletic, young Eales type lock that you see every now and then and he could have a wonderful future. There is a "but" though. He will have to match his natural athleticism with hardness and toughness which is not natural to everybody. This may come next season, or more likely in a couple of years time - or perhaps it won't come at all. Watch this space - it could well be worth the watching.

I'm glad that Eddie Aholelei has a gig too. I was spruiking him for the new Melbourne team on the forum before we knew that they were going to be allowed to have a heap of foreigners at commencement, a benefit that should have been afforded to the Force on their start-up. I thought things has passed him by as he is at least 29 now. Isn't it good to see some club hard heads get a gig? It's hard to judge how Eddie will go but it won't take long to find out, as it would for a young bloke.

Manly should be congratulated for helping to get a 140 kg fat man down down to 120kgs

But this is a Force thread. Well done to Ben Seymour for getting a spot at the Force. He's done well for a fellow who has just turned 21. I wouldn't be putting him on the park too soon because he still has to learn how to run a back line at the Grade level. Stannard should be the back up for Ripia until Seymour learns his trade.

The contracting of Seymour, and ostensibly Neville at the Rebels, indicates that the requirement for squads to hire rookies is in operation. I only wish that the ARU would come out with what the regulations are about rookies. Journos drop hints from time to time and we mention them on the forum and they become apparent facts - or "factoids" as Norman Mailer would have called them.

The real facts would be of interest.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
You would have thought so? he and Turner could become a fantastic one-two punch at the Force, similar to Charles and Whittaker. Not only because they are two young halfbacks, but because they offer such different skill sets. Turner the quintessential justin marshall type player, and Swanny the tough as nails follow me Kelleher like 9. Bring it on Force, you squad is looking very bloody promising.

Yes but it is unusual to sign 4 halfbacks in 1 squad unless Stannard is now a 10. They only got the 4th in Stannard for 2011 when they realised Turner would miss the season.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Yes but it is unusual to sign 4 halfbacks in 1 squad unless Stannard is now a 10. They only got the 4th in Stannard for 2011 when they realised Turner would miss the season.

Id be bracketing Stannard as a ten. But I dont think that Swanepoel has re-signed, which is very disappointing.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I haven't read anything about Neville being signed by anybody. One of his cleanouts on the weekend hopefully shows that he is into the heavy stuff. I'm not sure about Seymour. As a 10 he still struggles to control the game. He is very young though so good luck to him. I hope he does well if given the opportunity.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
http://www.smh.com.au/wa-news/800m-surplus-boost-to-be-pumped-into-stadium-20110922-1km98.html

1_Article_Burswood-Stadium-420x0.jpg

A rectangular stadium would certainly be awesome for rugby in Perth.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
10. Godwin was a no-brainer.... but 1. Salesi Manu? Well done big fella. Been following him for a while. Good to see he is getting a shot in a pro environment, so young.

Godwin = future local Force starting flyhalf, methinks.

Looks like the system is working.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
10. Godwin was a no-brainer.... but 1. Salesi Manu? Well done big fella. Been following him for a while. Good to see he is getting a shot in a pro environment, so young.

Godwin = future local Force starting flyhalf, methinks.

Looks like the system is working.

Absolutely. The sooner he emerges as this all the better for the Force. While the likes of Keiran Longbottom have been around for a few seasons now (but in Longbottoms case only really beginning to mature now) a player emerging in such a pivotal role in the Force strucutre will show a lot of the emerging talent (and there is a swathe of talent beginning to appear particularly in and around the U15/16s level) that you can make it as a professional from within WA.

Status
Not open for further replies.