• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
As I mentioned above to "gambler", who asked the same question:

Lee Grant said:
gambler

Yeah he's gone to Japan. He told the Force he wanted to play in the 2011 RWC for them and they released him so that he would have a long enough residence there to qualify for their team.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I was at the game on Friday to see the Force get done by the Saracens big boys 19-10 (I think). I will try and write up a bit of a review (from what I remember) but just a little busy catching up on Olympics and work at the moment.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Was a bit of a last minute decision but went to watch the Force Saracens game on Friday night at a local rugby ground about half an hour out of london that is normally used by a 4th division side.

It was a lovely ground with a typically soft grassy playing surface that was a little slippery for the players. Given the poor weather during the day a pretty handy crowd was on show as Eddie Jones showed off some of his big names for the first time this season. Without a program. the players I recognised for Sarries included Haughton the winger who I have seen play sevens and is supposedly close to England squads, Glen Jackson at 10, De Kock at halfback, Chris Jack actually seemed to be spending a fair amout of time playing at 6, Cencus Johnston was in at prop and I am pretty sure the hooker was an Argentinian international. On the bench they had 2 Farrells with Andy riding the pine along with his 17 year old son. Now how often has a father and son played together at a "professional" level?? They also had Moses Rauluni, just about my pick of halfbacks at the world cup on the bench, so they were certainly taking the game pretty seriously as one of their last warm up games before the season kicks off in a couple of weeks.

The game started pretty scrappily as you would expect for a pre season-development tour game however after 55-60 odd mins the Force were in front and looked fairly solid all across the park. Their first try came after the forwards got some good go forward ball and nice hands by the backs led to a try being scored down the left wing. Mitchell employed two fetchers with Hodgson at 6 and Pocock 7 while Horua was at 8, and this combination caused a number of turnovers at the breakdown. However with the ball in hand, Horua had the opportunity to make a few runs out wide but wasnt able to break the line while Pocock seems to have been watching Georgie Smith a bit too closely and tried a couple of chip kicks and flick passes that werent really on.

Pat OConnor went off injured after about 20 mins but came back on late in the game while Wykes appeared to have a fairly solid game and seemed to get up Jacks nose at times. I must admit I didnt notice who the other 2nd rower for the Force was, and I also dont remember either side particularly dominating the lineouts. In general I would say the forward packs pretty much cancelled each other out as even the Force front row held up ok despite the high quality opposition and with Hardy sitting the game out.

But after 60 minutes and with a 5 point lead O'Conner had a shot from in front and only 25 metres out. But he missed the shot and two minutes later Sarries scored an absolutely sensational team try with a lovely sweeping movement involving a nice bust followed by an offload or two before good wide passing saw one of their outside backs cross to put them in front.

It was a pity as the Force had been dominating the 2nd half up to that point and looked set to go on and win the match. However from there on they lacked cohesion and never really threatened the Saracens line again. In the backs OYoung had a busy game and managed to keep De Kock quiet. He too was involved in a couple of scuffles and seemed to be enjoying himself out there. OConner played at 10 and at times looked like a little boy playing against men, which I guess is actually the case. He doesnt have the boot at the moment to be close to a Super 14 starting 10 but having said that he did look nippy and asked plenty of questions of the Sarries defence, especially when the Force got into the attacking red zone.

Daruda at 12 had a pretty mixed game with a drop ball or two, a few audacious chip/grubber kicks that were never going to come off and a missed tackle that led to a try running up against a few nice tactical kicks and some slick passing. The 13 guy with dreadlocks was fairly strong although his passing is not always the best and he made Sare look pretty ordinary at times.

The fullback was an interesting player and I am guessing it was that Dane hyphen dude as I am pretty sure I heard the players calling him Daneo. If it was him he looked a bit bigger than most 18/19yr olds and managed to get out of trouble by standing in the tackle and waiting for support to reach him. He also joined into the backline at pace a couple of times and showed nice hands in the lead up to the first Force try. However having said that he allowed the odd kick to bounce, he kicked a couple of the side of the boot and also seemed pretty quiet for a fullback so I guess was another Force player to have a mixed game. Having seen a bit of sevens he reminded he of Luke Milton who hasnt been able to go on in the 15man game after coming from the roosters and having a few years in the 7's. Just seemed to lack either the pace or size to be a genuine attacking threat at anything above club level. Sare and the other winger didnt get too many chances but were solid and safe whenever returning kicks.

By the time the force bench came on I wasnt paying too much attention to individuals as the 4th or 5th warm beer was starting to go to the head, however as they warmed up in the ingoal in front of me I got a good look at the young scrummie and a player who I am guessing was another young schoolboy (a shortish darkish looking lad wearing 22) . They both looked like they were 16 and could have been in Beijing coxing the Aussie 8 rather than playing rugby against 125kg international prop forwards. The pair spent the whole 2nd half passing the ball to one another in the in goal, with neither of them getting on. The halfback didnt seem to have a great pass on him left to right but he was more mucking around than actually displaying what he had so hopefully its not as bad as I thought.

So all in all I would say that both Mitch and Eddie would have been reasonably happy with the efforts of the two sides. Mitch would probably be disappointed with the execution of the Force as they seemed to rush themselves at times and forced themselves into their own errors, while Sarries didnt get on top in the forwards but made the most of the limited chances they were able to create.

That just about sums it up. We ended up in the bar with a few of the Force boys and ended up in a local club with a bunch of 17/18yr old kids celebrating their school results coming out, so the memory is a little hazy I must admit.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Thanks for that gambler. Yeah that young Force scrummie, Justin Turner, is still at school. I wouldn't worry too much about his pass; his main fault is not running enough.

This from the Force site:

EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE FALL TO SARACENS ON UK TOUR
Saturday, 16 August 2008 1:59pm
RugbyWA Media Release

The Emirates Western Force has suffered the first defeat of their 2008 UK development tour, falling to Saracens 19-10 at Old Albanians overnight.

The home side crossed for three tries to one in the victory, leaving the WA side to rue several missed opportunities after a tough contest played in front of 2,500 spectators in St Albans.

New recruit Caleb Brown was the only player to pierce a rock solid Saracens defensive line, capitalising on a Dane Haylett-Petty break to cross for his second tour try minutes into the second half.

It was the home side who opened the scoring on 11 minutes with a try to debutant Michael Owen. The former Wales captain drove over the line from short range to cap what was an impressive first appearance in Saracens colours.

Midway through the first half, one of the many penalties throughout the game ended with the livewire James O'Connor striking a penalty from 20m to reduce the scores. And as time was running out in the opening period, O'Connor struck another attempted goal, but it drifted wide and referee Andrew Small blew for the interval at 7-3 to Saracens.

The visitors started the second period well and mounted pressure on the home side. Eventually that told when fullback Haylett-Petty broke through the defensive line and took advantage of a missed tackle to provide Brown with a clear run to the line. O'Connor added the extras to give the touring side their only lead of the match.

While his distrubution was incisive throughout the game, O'Connor's kicking radar was a little dusty and a third penalty attempt from directly in front of the posts sailed wide and within minutes, Saracens had retaken the lead with the try of the night.

It started with a barreling Cencus Johnston run on the Saracens 22 and ended with Powell diving over the line a minute later. Johnston's powerful run set up the break and some clever ball movement by the Saracens backline allowed Powell to dive over in the corner.

Three minutes later the lead was extended when after winning the ball 5m from the visitors? line, scrumhalf Glen Jackson sent a long cut out ball to Penney and the wing took it on the bounce and finished with a clear run to the line.

The Emirates Western Force surged late, making several half-breaks but the Saracens side held firm to deny the away team another score and eventually run out 9-point victors.

Emirates Western Force Coach John Mitchell said his side was good enough to win the contest.

?We were good enough to win it, but we made some poor choices at times,? he said.

?We blew at least three decent try-scoring opportunities and missed a couple of key shots at goal which would have given us a handy buffer. Those are the chances you have to take to win these tight matches and we failed to make the most of them.?

Mitchell said the inexperience of his side played a hand in the defeat.

?They?re doing well (the squad). We could easily have ended up on top tonight had it not been for a bit of inexperience and a lack of execution at key times,? he said.

?But that?s why we are here, to learn from matches like this and take that experience forward into the next game.?

The match also saw Andy and Owen Farrell create history by becoming the first father-son pairing to play in a professional rugby match, but they failed to get on the field at the same time - in fact it was Owen who replaced his Dad on the pitch.

Farrell Snr came on midway through the second half but he left the pitch minutes later after dislocating his thumb and was replaced by his son.

Saracens 19 (Michael Owen, Adam Powell, Rod Penney tries; Glen Jackson 2 conversions) defeated Emirates Western Force 10(Caleb Brown try; James O?Connor conversion, penalty goal) at Old Albanians, St Albans, England. Crowd: 2,500.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
This from Eddie Jones about his team:

Director of Rugby Eddie Jones stressed there was still plenty of areas to work on but was pleased with the effort of his players in their 19-10 win over Western Force at Old Albanians on Friday night.

Saracens started and finished the game strongly with tries from Michael Owen, Rodd Penney and Adam Powell securing the win but it was the defensive effort against the Super 14 side which pleased Jones just as much.

"You are never satisfied and we are nowhere near we need to be but it was a good hit out," explained Jones after the match. "They are a tough and competitive side who are very strong in the tackle contest and in David Pocock you saw a player who is probably one of the best in the world at it, but we have learned a lot.

"We showed some nice patches of attack at the start and end of the game but the middle bit wasn't too flashy. But I really liked the way we worked hard in defence. That is an area that we have been putting a lot of time and effort into over pre-season. We were disappointed with conceding four tries in Bayonne last week, but we worked much harder tonight and it was a good team effort.

"You saw that in the closing minutes when they made a line break and you had guys like Kris Chesney and Cencus Johnston who were flat out on their feet but they absolutely busted a gut to get back in the line."

The try of the night was scored by Powell but it came after a flowing move that went from one end of the pitch to the other.

"We were really sharp in the first part of the game, but we dropped off a bit as we struggled to get good ball," added Jones. "But you'd be happy with a try like that in any form of football. We showed some of the skills we have in the squad and if we can work a bit harder on getting our formations and order right in that area, it will take care of itself. That's what the next few warm-up games are for but there will also be a big focus on getting our set piece and defence right."

In injury news from the game, Andy Farrell was taken off shortly after taking the field as a second half replacement with a dislocated thumb. He will be assessed by the medical staff over the weekend.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
spectator said:
Does the Force have any more matches over there?

Remaining matches:

23 August v Northampton Academy
27 August v Northampton Saints
30 August v Leicester Tigers

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Gee I'm pretty pleased with that. I dont think there is that much difference between what I remembered and what the pros said.

The Sarries try really was a cracking try, the Force kicking, both for goal and in general play, probably cost them the game, while Pocock is clearly a class player.

I also ran into Alex Walker who is with Saracens. Some may remember him from Eastwood 1st grade and Australian Under 21's where he teamed up with Benn Robinson to create a pretty solid front row. Apparently Eddie Jones now has him playing hooker and he is hoping to crack match day 22's as the season moves on.

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
Annnndddddd Caleb Brown does his hammy! Surprise surprise

Oh Noddy, dont make me say it...

Damn, I cant stop myself.

Ha Ha.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Poor bugger! Looks like the Force will get the same value out of him that the Reds did. How does he fix the problem?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
the gambler said:
I also ran into Alex Walker who is with Saracens. Some may remember him from Eastwood 1st grade and Australian Under 21's where he teamed up with Benn Robinson to create a pretty solid front row. Apparently Eddie Jones now has him playing hooker and he is hoping to crack match day 22's as the season moves on.

Thanks. I wondered what happened to him. I thought that he had disappeared without a trace.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok. Force time.

15 Cameron Shepherd
14 Drew Mitchell
13 Ryan Cross
12 James O'Connor
11 Scott Staniforth
10 Matt Giteau
9 Josh Valentine
8 Richard Brown
7 David Pocock
6 Tamaiti Horua
5 Nathan Sharpe (c)
4 Tom Hockings
3 AJ Whalley
2 Poached hooker
1 Pek Cowan

16 Luke Holmes
17 Troy Tarinaki
18 Pat O'Connor
19 Matt Hodgson
20 Chris O'Young
21 Scott Daruda
22 Junior Pelesasa

- quality backline I reckon though a shame to move Stani back to wing. However JOC (James O'Connor) needs to get amongst it.
- the front row is a lottery but it would be awesome to pull off the Bismark dP poach.
- a rather uninspiring bench. Perhaps young Dane Haylett-Petty should be there for Jnr?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Without a doubt the best aussie super 14 backline & maybe even the best backline in the super 14 a very good backrow & locking pair also.

The Force should be a top 4 team anything less & they have under achieved.

Is it a six team final format in 2009????

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Is BdP being mooted as a poach? That would be a terrific overseas recruitment.

As I said on another thread: it's a pity that hooker Nathan Charles and LHP Jerry Yanuyanutawa, both from Sydney Uni, didn't go west as they were more likely to be needed sooner than by the Brumbies.

I expect the Force to have another year of having a pussycat scrum. Your two props, both from my Rats club, are hardly household names though Cowan is still young for an Oz prop and I'm not giving up on him just yet. Pity he didn't grow as much as I hoped.

Good backline on paper which assumes no injuries and the backrow looks handy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lee, yes, apparently BdP is keen to start (understandably) and currently he's behind the Bok skipper at the Sharks, I believe.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Noddy said:
Ok. Force time.

15 Cameron Shepherd
14 Drew Mitchell
13 Ryan Cross
12 James O'Connor
11 Scott Staniforth
10 Matt Giteau
9 Josh Valentine
8 Richard Brown
7 David Pocock
6 Tamaiti Horua
5 Nathan Sharpe (c)
4 Tom Hockings
3 AJ Whalley
2 Poached hooker
1 Pek Cowan

16 Luke Holmes
17 Troy Tarinaki
18 Pat O'Connor
19 Matt Hodgson
20 Chris O'Young
21 Scott Daruda
22 Junior Pelesasa

- quality backline I reckon though a shame to move Stani back to wing. However JOC (James O'Connor) needs to get amongst it.
- the front row is a lottery but it would be awesome to pull off the Bismark dP poach.
- a rather uninspiring bench. Perhaps young Dane Haylett-Petty should be there for Jnr?
Excellent backline, but, and I will probably be shouted down for saying this, the weakness may be O'Connor. Supreme talent no doubt, but he is still only 18 and hasn't had sustained exposure in the big time. I'm imagining that the 10-12 channel will get a lot of attention defensively.

T

TOCC

i agree that i think JOC (James O'Connor) is still a bit of a liability regardless of his talent at the moment, i think a season of the bench would help his development much more then starting him

15 Cameron Shepherd
14 Drew Mitchell
13 Ryan Cross
12 Scott Staniforth
11 Cummins
10 Matt Giteau
9 Josh Valentine
8 Richard Brown
7 David Pocock
6 Tamaiti Horua
5 Nathan Sharpe (c)
4 Tom Hockings
3 AJ Whalley
2 Poached hooker
1 Pek Cowan

16 Luke Holmes
17 Troy Tarinaki
18 Pat O'Connor
19 Matt Hodgson
20 Chris O'Young
21 James O'Connor
22 Peter Playford

F

formeropenside

I love how people are putting "Poached hooker" at 2: they are ALL bloody poaches 1-22!

T

TOCC

formeropenside said:
I love how people are putting "Poached hooker" at 2: they are ALL bloody poaches 1-22!

woops, i just copied Noddies team because i agreed with all the positions except JOC (James O'Connor) and Staniforth, i obviously overlooked the hooker positions

Status
Not open for further replies.