• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs v Reds - Friday 31/5

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Im watching the replay
Screenshot-20240531-181324-Gallery.jpg

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Good game last night I thought. At one point the Reds looked like they were going to run away with it. Their attacking shape this year really has been great to watch. Lots of straight running, looping around the second receiver and punching down the edges. A couple of those tries were stellar backline footy.

The game was a microcosm of the Tahs season. They're trying their guts out but unlike the Reds their shape isn't working for them. Some new ideas will likely help. I liked the Wilson/Bowen combo in the second half and frankly they could do a lot worse than run with that next season. Both of them look like composed, intelligent footballers (isn't Jack the spitting image of his old man BTW).

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
A good come back, not enough. Now I want my free jersey for enduring this dreadful season. Who do I have to talk to?

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Im watching the replay
Screenshot-20240531-181324-Gallery.jpg
That first half was tough for Tahs supporters
I was likewise tied up last night and have just caught the replay.

A real cliche game of two halves. A bit of heartbreak that the Tahs didn't get that one as I think it would have meant more to the players after this season.

Gordon's body language didn't look great in places. I really do wonder where his headspace is at. While I don't think he's as technically good I preferred when Grant came on. I thought kicking aside Bowen had a good game. He will need to spend some sessions with a kicking coach because there was some real technique issue with some of his attempts.

I think I agree with @The_Brown_Hornet that is was a bit of a reflection of the the Tahs season. Been a lot of games where they've shown heart but come up short by small margins. Lots of elements of games to like followed by groan worthy mistakes.

As for the Reds, there were elements of their game that I continue to love (their attacking shape, support play) and some key players keep standing up, Uru has to be in the Wallabies conversation, been great in many games.

I do still think however that if they come up against a side that slows their quick ball they're going to struggle. There is also a little bit of individual decision making that needs tidying up. With the Sky Blue well out of it, I'll be cheering them on next week.

Last edited:

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Also, as an aside, I thought Pietsch and Gamble both showed a lot of effort. Pietsch in particular was hunting all night and had some strong moments in defence. He stood in contrast to Mark Nawaqanitawase for me. Gamble likewise was all over the place and while I don't think he is always as effective as players like McReight you can't question his effort.

For the forwards I was rather impressed by Amituanai. He punched the line nicely a couple of times and really setup that second try.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Despite the game being close at the end I don’t think the Reds will be in alarm mode during finals prep this week.

They got out to a big lead and took the foot off the pedal in a rubber match, one eye on finals. Still managed to defend like champions for the last period of the game get the win.

Moving on.
Reds will need to be wary about being too complacent. They did not defend like champions in the last period of the game. A very fortunate desperate ankle tap was all that saved them after a huge line break by Perese and a winning try to the Tahs was definitely a possibility. And without McReight's turnover, it still could have been curtains at the end had the Tahs held possession for a few more phases.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Reds will need to be wary about being too complacent. They did not defend like champions in the last period of the game. A very fortunate desperate ankle tap was all that saved them after a huge line break by Perese and a winning try to the Tahs was definitely a possibility. And without McReight's turnover, it still could have been curtains at the end had the Tahs held possession for a few more phases.

They defended well and won the game after taking their foot off the gas. There is not really another narrative.

Comments like ‘they were fortunate’ and ‘was a possibility’ are things that didn’t eventuate.

I doubt they’ll be dwelling on it too much.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought as soon as NSW went side to side it was just a matter of time until McReight got a pilfer, and I was confident if he couldn't get it then Wright would have got one.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Yep. I thought a lot of the tah-disappointment chatter here was OTT. And man they went close.
I have only just watched the replay, what a great game. And it wasn’t Reds going to sleep, it was Tahs having a crack.

Reactions: dru

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
Tahs were lucky to get that close, but truely the gulf between the two teams is wide. Just a dreadful season in what has been a decade of absolute failure. No local coach unless his last name Cheika to lead the Tahs. With the Rebels out it should make for a great trade window for all the remaining 4 teams to build some depth into the 25 squads on the path to a game wide rebuild into the Lions tour.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Tahs were lucky to get that close, but truely the gulf between the two teams is wide. Just a dreadful season in what has been a decade of absolute failure. No local coach unless his last name Cheika to lead the Tahs. With the Rebels out it should make for a great trade window for all the remaining 4 teams to build some depth into the 25 squads on the path to a game wide rebuild into the Lions tour.
Nope

I have only just watched the replay, what a great game. And it wasn’t Reds going to sleep, it was Tahs having a crack.

Yep.
Look, it was a shit season for the tahs and as much as I respect the coaching team, I don't argue with those who want something new. At the same time, there is seriously talent in this team. Like, often international level talent.

Often.