• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs v Reds - Friday 31/5

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Three loose heads, four tight heads and four hookers injured, and you're having a crack about not having enough depth? Fuck off!

Reactions: TSR

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting Bryant on the bench.

I thought he was close to best on ground last week with his work rate.

I'd be getting him more minutes and used to Super Rugby, seems to be the type of player who feeds off the tough stuff.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
It gets said every year, but how have we let what should be the most important domestic rugby match in our calender become so meaningless that coaches are resting players for it?
I have never cared for the game, I am more interested in Reds v Brumbies.

That being said, being scheduled for the last round against a potential wooden spoon team playing a certain finalist who cannot go up or down positions is going to lead to it being meaningless.

I would like the Reds to give some of their really young guys a game, the young props who have trained all season but not got any game time should be rewarded with a chance, they may be needed for a final.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All things being equal, the prediction at the start of the season would have been two pretty evenly matched teams competing for a similar spot on the ladder so it should have been a very important game.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's wild that guys like Enrique Pieretto came in as a medical joker, an experienced test player and he got injured in his first game. So it's not like you can attribute it to bad S&C at the Tahs and/or guys coming in who are totally out of their depth.

I'd guess Paddy Ryan is back for the offseason to spend time with family etc. and is doing this as as favour.
I think plug in players on a short turn around probably increases the injury risk a little bit, not a lot the tahs could've done there, though they should have been much more proactive about queuing up injury replacements given the early injuries and the fact that they were effectively carrying Lambert on the hope he'd be fit for finals.

The other thing that probably hasn't helped is a lack of out and out locks to support the props coming through.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I have never cared for the game, I am more interested in Reds v Brumbies.
Sure, same as everyone. It's been a better game for as long as anyone can remember.

The point is the potential impact across rugby in Australia for that one is about 10 times smaller than what qld v NSW should be.

Just a massive opportunity cost

All things being equal, the prediction at the start of the season would have been two pretty evenly matched teams competing for a similar spot on the ladder so it should have been a very important game.
Even by round 8, if the Tahs got their act together and Reds dropped a couple more games this could have been a very important match.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
It's wild that guys like Enrique Pieretto came in as a medical joker, an experienced test player and he got injured in his first game. So it's not like you can attribute it to bad S&C at the Tahs and/or guys coming in who are totally out of their depth.

I'd guess Paddy Ryan is back for the offseason to spend time with family etc. and is doing this as as favour.
No, I don’t think that rules that out completely

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Ex Japan and MLR, Paddy Ryan last played #1 at Super Rugby level against the Kings in April 2017. He was last a genuine starter in 2016.

With the Tahs FR curse in place, he is almost certain to be injured.

He is 35 years old, and here on holiday

And yet he answers the call. What a remarkable story. Legendary

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
It's astonishing people can still be hurt by these guys. They only beat NSW Pasifica 7/5 in one of the pre season trial.
Come take your beating like a man!!!
IMG_1458.gif

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ex Japan and MLR, Paddy Ryan last played #1 at Super Rugby level against the Kings in April 2017. He was last a genuine starter in 2016.

With the Tahs FR curse in place, he is almost certain to be injured.

He is 35 years old, and here on holiday

One last chance to get revenge on tahs fans for calling him 'tits for hands' Ryan all those years?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

He played a game in 2022 where he came on and received a red card (which was then rescinded).

It is great. A genuinely lovely guy the couple of times I've met him as well. His dad used to be on the forum although I don't think he's posted for a few years. I can't recall his username right now. Maybe he's still out there lurking?!? I wonder if he'll make the trip to Sydney to see Paddy go round one last time?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
It's also the Friday before the first origin match of the year where interest of the NSW v QLD rivalry will be at its peak.

From memory, a lot of NRL clubs get a bye week this weekend as well, so even more reason for eye balls to be watching.

Makes perfect sense to have it as the last game.