• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs v Lions - 2011R14

Status
Not open for further replies.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Ugh. Really was a game of two halves (I swear I typed that before Clarkie said it). What the hell happened at half time that changed their mindset? Barnes is really out of form, his decision-making has been very tentative since he has come back since the lay-off. The Tahs just seem at times to forget that they have to work to keep the ball at the ruck, and they often found themselves isolated.
On a positive note, Alcock was really good, and the defense for the most part was very solid.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Beale is probably furious that the Tahs have gone back into their shell in the second half. WHY KICK? he is quite rightly screaming.

Yeah don't get me wrong I agree, but it isn't a good look.

Tahs fans you have my sympathy, it must be frustrating when they play like they did in the 2nd half.
Man of the Match: Alcock/Beale

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Look - it's a bonus point win, but I really thought that performance was not good enough. Poor skills, some bloody lucky outcomes of chip kicks. Against a more physical side we wouldn't have scored many points.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was a disgraceful performance. I don't care how much they won by. They played worse in that second half than the Cheetahs game.

The kick to touch from the penalty after the game sums it up.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sorry? I think I misheard you.

I counted two. One was in our 22, kicked into touch. Nothing wrong with it. The other was a box kick, and because of a good chase and the fact that it didn't enter their 22, the player was isolated and forced to take the tackle, good option in my books.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
No mate, waaay more than 2 kicks. Probably 5 - at least 4 were shit.

Trust me, I'm sober for once.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Marius was weird tonight. But I guess anyone can have an off night. He missed countless knock-ons, seemed to invent the first few ruck penalties, and completely lost his mind about knock-on advantage. Reffed the scrums well, though, I thought.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Just out of interest, what were your expecting from them tonight?

I was expecting - no, hoping against hope - that they would smash the last place team like they should. I was also hoping against hope that they wouldn't go back to the kicking game. Really, 0 points from 40 minutes against the Lions, combined with aimless kicking, is really very poor.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Maybe they got their 4 tries a slowed down a bit.

Edit: Tom Carter is the complete Knobhead!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Disappointed but not surprised, is my reaction to the 2nd half. i could say more, but we have all said it & heard it all too many times.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I've got some ideas for the Waratahs' next training session.

Catch and pass.
Catch and pass.
Catch and pass.
Catch and pass.
Catch and pass.
Catch and pass.
Catch and pass.
Catch and pass.
Catch and pass.
I'm not sure they can do it 9 times. In fact I'm sure after a close up view tonight.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Jonker has gone mad.

The ref sitting next to me informed me I was wrong in ranting against Jonker for his short / non-existent advantage. I will say this - he was consistently odd.
Tahs had nothing in the attack bag in the second half - kicks were all used up, dishing it from side to side with no-one actually doing anything on the end of the passing strangely didn't work, especially when 1 or 2 of the passes were loop-de-loops from Burgess or a flat slider 6" off the ground from Barnes. And Kurtley got tackled to ground with the ball far too many times.
Scrum was good though, even with the subs. Lineout too.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm happy with how it went tonight. In previous games the flash of brilliance would last ten minutes and then they would play that stupid kicking game for 70. So having them play that beautiful style of rugby for 40 is a massive improvement.
To expect them to completely change their attitude and style for a full game (particularly after that first half and the lead they had) is asking a lot.

They picked up 5 points tonight. Just remember that.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm happy with how it went tonight. In previous games the flash of brilliance would last ten minutes and then they would play that stupid kicking game for 70. So having them play that beautiful style of rugby for 40 is a massive improvement.
To expect them to completely change their attitude and style for a full game (particularly after that first half and the lead they had) is asking a lot.

They picked up 5 points tonight. Just remember that.
Yeah, I agree. At the game, I enjoyed it (the first half). The second half was depressingly predictable though. The Lions had a real go also. Against a more decent team, the Tahs would have in some real trouble with that second half dig.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If that's how the advantage rule should be reffed then I'm off to league. It was a complete farce.

What about the (non) penalty when Burgess was interfered? I think he acknowledged it was a penalty but the Tahs had an advantage or something so it wasn't given??

Perrett looked a little lost out there. Didn't get involved for a good 2-3 minutes because he was totally out of position all the time. Lack of experience in a Super rugby environment?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah, I agree. At the game, I enjoyed it (the first half). The second half was depressingly predictable though. The Lions had a real go also. Against a more decent team, the Tahs would have in some real trouble with that second half dig.

Yeah I agree but I am still going to stay positive*.

* This could be the alcohol talking and I may completely change my mind if I get the chance to watch a replay tomorrow.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One of Carter/Cross has to go. They're decent individually, they just don't go together at all. Same style of play. Cross receives a lot of criticism but imo he's a very solid player. One of the strongest players in contact in the comp and can straighten a line up with good runs and put on dominant hits. I'd like to see him get a go at 12 instead of Carter. That lack of pace was really embarrassing. Not sure who to put at 13, Turner?

Status
Not open for further replies.