• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs v Lions - 2011R14

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK

My take, the Tahs played OK in the first half and took their opportunities - sometimes playing pretty smart rugby.

The positives to me were the amount of movement of ball in contact from the pigs and some decent support play. Barnes was able to attack behind runners and use width

And the there was the second half, they forgot to support eachother, they played one out and got caught at contact when they went wide with ball in hand. So they chose to kick and put on pressure instead of crating pressure by there work with ball in hand.

I would love to find our what Alcock has to do to be a regular start, he goes damn hard.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He was fine in contact, the issue to me is his defensive decisions at times

Really? I saw him get bumped off a few times, I'm not sure how that is fine. Speed bump. I know it sounds harsh on the young bloke but it's the reality, next season with another year of weights he should be fine.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
It was good to see the backline execute some moves. The second try especially showed what can be achieved by executing a simple play correctly. But it all seamed to go out of their heads

A few times this year I've remarked that the tahs come out for the second half looking deflated. I wonder what hickey is telling them?

T

Tahfan

A few times this year I've remarked that the tahs come out for the second half looking deflated. I wonder what hickey is telling them?

That he has the stats he needed for his next powerpoint presentation and not to dare play too much rugby for fear of getting some confidence!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Looking at the 3-2-1 thread, only one person rated Alcock less than 3 and he gave him a 2. We must be all dumb bastards who haven't played Super rugby because our third choice openside just won man of the match hands down. I don't see how McCutcheon can possibly be rated above him; McC has been very patchy, sometimes good and sometimes unsighted (unsighted is not the same as invisible). The next two games in SA are a great chance to cement a spot as Waugh's successor, he showed some real mongrel tonight. We will not lose anything with him starting at all.

When you've been waiting ten years to get a crack at Super rugby you're going to be pretty nervous on your first outing, hence the throwing up I guess. Let's see how Perrett goes in SA before we write him off.

T

Tahfan

The performance last night can be summed up by looking at our performances against the Rebels this year.

First half - Rebels Away
Second half - Rebels at home

That was an appalling second half of rugby where they appeared to lack a a game plan or any idea how to hold on to posession. They also lacked the killer instinct to put the Lions to the sword and really hammer home some points. On the plus side more stats for Chris Hickey & Matt Burke to point out.

First half though was very good. Options were correct by and large. Barnes' kicking was a joy to behold and the way the team attacked the ball and appeared hungry was really good and the fans responded!! They need to put it together for 80 though or 0 points will be gained on the republic.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Tahs were trying to move it around in the second half - I have no problem with that. They executed it badly though. They weren't setting it up very well, instead the old sin of going wide before going forward, and a lot of the time they just dished it cross field but pretty static, and the Lions defence was good in the second half. In fact it wasn't bad all game, it's just that the Tahs unpicked it well in the first half with some clever kicks behind a fast advancing flat defence.
The effort from the Tahs was there, the intent even, but they fell away in the doing of it. In fairness, they had to make far more tackles in the second half as the Lions threw a lot at them, so that was probably a factor too. It doesn't alter the fact that a better team would have created some big headaches for them in the second half last night.

The intent was certainly there in the first 40 and it was bloody good to watch. Even when they made some mistakes, you could at least see what they were trying to do and they should be commended for that. I didn't think they showed anywhere near as much in the second half though. Still, it was a win they needed and they got 5 points. It's in the bank now.

I did look the Tahs run home and it is very tough. If they make the finals after playing the Sharks and Bulls on the road and the Clan at home, I will be very impressed.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My review after a nights sleep and a re-view.

They played pretty standard Tahs tactics in the first half. Its looks different because players were actually showing decent skills, in passing and kicking and most importantly in working off the ball. Their tries came from well executed kicks that had players in motion looking for them. Precisely what Tahs fans have been calling for. Decent skills. End of.

Second half, Tahs professionalism takes over. Nothing to play for as the win and the bonus point were in the bag. In fact they even went to sleep on defence with a huge number of players (for the normally stoic Tahs defence) missing tackles or being ineffectual. The skills execution went from good to the normal we have expected from the Tahs for the past number of years. Just poor, Shute Shield or below standard. The kicking was back to its usual with kicks going out on the full, to the defending player or even just to ensure that the Tah player was tackled with it in hand. The passes ended up above or behind players who no longer ran onto them so they were easy defence targets. And finally worst of all, nobody did any work off the ball. There was not one looping player or second touch in the second 40.

If the two halves of the game were reversed and the Tahs finished playing the way they started they would've given their fans some hope. As it is expect a very ordinary crwod for their final home game of the season. I expect the entire coaching staff to be shown the door and a few support officials should as well. Anybody who supports the Hickey/Burke stats analysis should go as well.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Without intending to offend, there was all this nonsence about a stronger Tahs side this season but they are mentally soft. That second half was just uncommited rubbish and most likely be covered up by the final score and the first half. If they have any ambition of collecting some points on their African trip, they would want to take a can of harden the F#*k up quickly.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Man, the Reds fans on this forum must have really taken offense after the Brisbane game against the Tahs, there are some pretty rough comments in this thread.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Without intending to offend, there was all this nonsence about a stronger Tahs side this season but they are mentally soft. That second half was just uncommited rubbish and most likely be covered up by the final score and the first half. If they have any ambition of collecting some points on their African trip, they would want to take a can of harden the F#*k up quickly.

It's quite odd isn't it. Compare it to the Lions game last year, where they kept the attack up all game. Although there was a fit Drew who scored 4 tries that game, it says to me that there's a lack of confidence in the Tahs backs - but that's what I don't understand since they showed in the first half they can score. Very bizarre stuff.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The ref sitting next to me informed me I was wrong in ranting against Jonker for his short/non-existent advantage. I will say this - he was consistently odd.

The judgement of when to call advantage over by referees is a tricky one, but let's look at the possible results. An advantage leading to a scrum (from a knock on on most occasions) will lead to possession to the non-offending team. The resulting scrum should be won by the side with the feed and the pill gets passed out to the backs, usually. Refs take the attitude one clean pass from a ruck or maul for the side holding advantage equates to what they would've got from a stoppage in play at a scrum. So the ref calls advantage over after one clean pass, which is the attitude Jonker took last night. He confirmed this practice on one occasion when the Lions had advantage from a knock on and one of them passed the pill into touch. In his judgement advantage was over when the Lion passed the pill; in this instance the Tahs got the throw-in at the resultant lineout. This short advantage was quite consistent with the advantage the Tahs had before Carter dropped the ball after one clean pass.

Advantage leeaing to a penalty is quite different. If it's in the red zone the non-offending team has the option of pressing for a try or taking a shot at goal. So some refs (especially Saffers) play a long penalty advantage to the attacking side near the goal line. At the other end of the paddock the result of potential play is equally important, but generally not played as long. A lineout infringement is a good example: an offence is commited and the non-offending side hoof the ball downfield. Without advantage the kick would've been taken and the non-offending side would get the throw-in at the resultant lineout. That's why refs call the play back and award the penalty no matter how good a kick might be by the non-offending side.

These scenarios are brought up endlessly at referees' meetings, and as long as a ref's consistent, as Jonker was last night, I don't mind which way they play advantage.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
With all the weeks focus on the lack of attacking flair, not much has been said about the quality of the Tahs defence last night.

In the first half the Lions had a lot of ball near the try line but could never get through, whereas they successfully spread it wider in the second only to be continually cut down by a very good scrambling effort by the Tahs.

My take on the lack of points by the Tahs in the second half was that they were too keen to spread the ball whenever the backs got it. Barnes didn't take on the defence all night and Carter lost his crash ball which made it easier for the Lion's defence to slide. Cross and his wingers seemed to be outnumbered everytime they got the ball.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It's quite odd isn't it. Compare it to the Lions game last year, where they kept the attack up all game. Although there was a fit Drew who scored 4 tries that game, it says to me that there's a lack of confidence in the Tahs backs - but that's what I don't understand since they showed in the first half they can score. Very bizarre stuff.

It sure is and no excuses from my point of view in round two this year. The Tahs were awsome in how they dismantled the Reds. They got done by a Crusaders side full of emotion the next week (no shame in that and they are not alone) and it is like they never picked themselves up and dusted themselves off and got back on the wagon. It all turned to shit from there. It makes you wonder what it will take for the Tahs to hit rock bottom and force a catylist for change. With hindsight it was the Barnse defection that did it for the Reds and I would of thought the Kurtley defection might of had the same impact for the Tahs. It seems evident that key people within the Tahs orginisation refuse to acknowledge a problem even exists. To be honest Tony Rae could of pointed his whole outburst at the Tahs and it would of been 100% relivent. I'm not even a Tahs fan and it frustrates the crap out me.

Beale looked really frustrated in that second half. Might give a clue why he decided to leave the franchise.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
To be honest Tony Rae could of pointed his whole outburst at the Tahs and it would of been 100% relivent.

Are you kidding? Tony Rea's spray was directly firmly at attitude and heart, not the ability to execute the skills and game plan. While the Tahs have upset a lot of people with their decision making and poor skills this season, you can't question the resolve or application which is what Rea's rant was all about.

Most pundits, me included, believe defence is the best indicator of attitude and it is an area they cannot be faulted. Or if it can, then maybe Tony Rea's outburst is relevant to every team. We know it certainly is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.