• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs V Highlanders 2011R17

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm so glad Moore is in such fine form. I really think TPN is the world's premier hooker at the moment. The drive he puts in the scrum is the difference between whether the Waratahs can dominate or not. His driving tackles seem to turn over near as many balls as Pocock, and his driving runs and one handed overloads have put the Waratahs on the front foot or scoring more times than I can count. But his Grid-iron tackling style worries me as much as everyone else. It hurts the tacklee but hurts him as well. He has to play the first 40-60 minutes of each major game in the world cup, but it does help me sleep much more comfortably at night knowing that when he does inevitably get injured, squeaky will be there to replace him.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Turner and Anesi are a waste of money. Not once did Turner push through and his kicking is ridiculous. Anesi looked unfit and dreadfully out of form. Carter and Beale shone tonight.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Turner's form has been a bit of a worry. He's much better than what he's showed lately. Suppose to have stepped it up with Drew gone Lachie.

I agree. I'm watching force vs reds at the moment, and it's quite amazing how much better the guy i would have previously called a journeyman, Cummins, looks at the moment than Turner. A couple of years ago Turner looked like a certain Wallaby mainstay up-and-comer. Today not at all, unfortunately for Australian Rugby. We don't have anyone to replace Mitchell.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Very gutsy win from the Tahs tonight. I thought their defence was outstanding, as was the scrum and the counter rucking. Beale, well what can you say. That was absolutely sublime. The kid is a superstar.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
palu looked like he had his arm in a sling. Could be bad shoulder or elbow. Doesn't look good there!

They said on the radio that Palu had a stinger in his shoulder though whether or not that was a fob off diagnosis from the Tahs mafia, or not, is moot.

Goal kickers #Waratahs Beale 75% (47 from 66) on 142 points#Highlanders: Brown 63% (12/19) #rugby #super15 #superrugby #WARvHIG

RGS - where do you get these season stats on kickers from?

Not a bad effort from the Tahs. It rained for a couple of hours before the game and also in the 2nd half. It was also very cold at the ground; so the mishandling was somewhat understandable, excepting in those cases where players weren't looking at the ball when they tried to catch it. The Clan were scarcely any better in that regard yet they walk to school in that weather.

Beale was wonderful - one of those types of players, even if they are from visiting teams, that you enjoy watching, provided they don't cause too much damage to your blokes. Well, he will be a visitor next year, won't he? I said to the disreputable looking fellow sitting next to me: ''I miss him next year already"

That was a highlight for me and another was the low tackling defence: one below followed by one up top, if needed - but the one below first. This was the type of defence the Wallabies were doing when they were at their best last year.

I thought that the forwards were a bit too watchy. It is all very well not to commit too many to the ruck so ruck defence is not affected by missing players tied up, but too often last night the Tahs had to forgo counter-rucking opportunities because the plan said not to commit.

This non-commital sometimes seemed to apply to the Tahs' own rucks, but the Clan were not so shy to have a go and they got some walkovers.

Not bad for those conditions though - not bad.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Turner has no confidence. He has all the requisite skills to be good, but lacks the fire on the field at the moment. Don't know why.

i chatted to turner for a while after the game, he hasnt been playing the greatest this yer, but i think you can write off last night as he said his right leg was cramping and he had hamstring, calf problems but anesi wasnt well so he had to stay out there.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
re Palu, Hickey said at the presser that he is going for scans, could be a stinger or something more serious. He didn't fill me with confidence.

re Barnes, Hickey said that he had a terrible headache and was not feeling well all game. No head knock to speak of. But questions need to be asked, surely. He was visibly groggy as he left the field. Yet another 'footballer's migraine' perhaps?

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The Tahs' defense was very good all night and not only on their own line. It won them the game and totally frustrated the Otago boys. The forwards won't get the glory but I thought they were the stars last night.

Carter as usual had a very busy game last night, and was rewarded with three tries. Ironically he's getting lots of plaudits because of the tries, but the truth is that he plays like that most times he runs on to the field.

I'm a bit concerned by by the lack of confidence in a couple of the backs and the tendency of the whole team to take their collective foot off the accelerator at times during a game.

Given the conditions I thought it was an exciting game and a terrific cowd atmosphere.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
I'm confused. Everyone is saying that Berrick Barnes got footballer's migraine again.
I spoke to Chris Webb and Berrick last night after the game. It's not anything to do with his head at all, he has a back injury.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'm confused. Everyone is saying that Berrick Barnes got footballer's migraine again.
I spoke to Chris Webb and Berrick last night after the game. It's not anything to do with his head at all, he has a back injury.

It was mentioned in the match commentary, Kafe said that Barnes got a knock in the back in the warm up and it had tightened up during the game. Assumptions have been made about him in thbis instance it appears. It looked pretty despondant walking off but he walked under his own steam and was stumbling about as in previous incidents.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Maybe it's because Chris Hickey said in the post-match press conference that the reason they took Barnes off is he was feeling crook.

R

RuckinGoodStats

RGS - where do you get these season stats on kickers from?

Answer

I code every second of every game. So essentially I get them off my computer where I put them in. Some you can view on www.ruckingoodstats.com. Other stuff I keep for media and websites that want it. I like to put stuff in GAGR because there are some good blokes in here and it helps with the debate and discussions...

Status
Not open for further replies.