• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs V Highlanders 2011R17

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tahfan

Tonight was the best I have ever seen Tom Carter play.

If Ant Fainga'a played that game people would be raving and calling him a Wallaby shoe-in. Just sayin.

+1.

Carter was immense. One of the best performances by any australian 13 this season. Please for the love of Jesus Chris leave him there next week and lets see if he can back it up! DO NOT put cross there.....

Tahs were excellent last night. Results went their way too. Now a win next week guarantees finals football which will be good.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Palu has broken his shoulder and is out for the rest of the Super season, as well as the early domestic tests.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Palu has broken his shoulder and is out for the rest of the Super season, as well as the early domestic tests.

IS that official or an official rumour? Broken as in bone, and if so what bone? Surely he is now a long shot for the RWC. He hasn't been able to play out a whole game this year due to new injuries. It also makes me hang my head at the Tahs management letting Mowen go. Mowen was a future player, Palu is reaching the end of his career IMO. I know what his age is but with his injuries he will be increasingly looking at a pension scheme in Japan or the Euro zone ala MMM and other injury prone warriors.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So the 26 year-old Mowen is a 'future player', while the 28 year-old Palu is nearing the end of his career. Riiiiight.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Lee Grant - RGS - where do you get these season stats on kickers from?

Answer

I code every second of every game. So essentially I get them off my computer where I put them in. Some you can view on www.ruckingoodstats.com. Other stuff I keep for media and websites that want it. I like to put stuff in GAGR because there are some good blokes in here and it helps with the debate and discussions...

Thanks for that. I was thinking about doing the kicking percentage stats myself next year using the Extra Time grid every week, but it may not be necessary with your stuff.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Thanks for that. I was thinking about doing the kicking percentage stats myself next year using the Extra Time grid every week, but it may not be necessary with your stuff.

Think you should still do it. You'd be surprised who can't add. I've seen TV put up stats for players that weren't on the field and we are talking the official ones as well. They get the Ebersohn twins wrong, someone missed in front of the sticks and get credited with the kick. It's pretty funny. What I also do is have a probability of success which acts as a difficulty rating. That keeps some of the moaners quite when they are looking at the person, not the stats...

So I've learnt to watch every game, regardless (trying coding 5 games back to back with no breaks like in round 17 as the SA games were earlier) cross reference with at least two if not three different sources and have youtube as a back-up. Sometimes you need to have people watch that to see that the person taking the kicks was Delany, not Leonard, who is bald as a cue ball for example. However if it is on TV people think it must be right. That will be your biggest hurdle!!!!!!!

Also helps if you can tweet the players. In the weekend the Fox Sport coverage on the 4th Brumbies conversion didn't really show the kick and Christian took the 3rd. Some results had Giteau taking the 4th (as it went over) and others that Christian took it. So I tweeted Giteau and he confirmed what happened.

Never seen Extra Time Grid, can you send me a link?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Never seen Extra Time Grid, can you send me a link?

I meant what is shown in the FoxSports Extra Time show on Monday nights. They show highlights of all the games. Then at the end of each game they have a score summary - which I called a grid. One of the details on the score grid is the successful attempts at goal/ total attempts at goal, for each kicker in the game - broken up into conversions, penalty kicks and field goals.

They also have a 2nd grid 'By the numbers', which gives the key stats for the game, but unlike the score grid, the stats shown vary from game to game.

Status
Not open for further replies.