• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2020

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
That's encouraging for Hugh. Great to see him get a chance to keep developing at this level. Just hope I still get to see him run on for Norths too.

We've effectively traded Wells for Sinclair, given Sinclair was previously contracted to the Rebels and Wells to the Tahs. Shoreman for a shoreman. There are some decent backrowers signed to the Tahs already so it will be hard to crack it for him but it should be better for his development to have everything based in Sydney.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
After watching Tepai Moeroa in the league 9’s on the weekend, he certainly has a lot of work to do before he could be considered for a centre position. He looks overweight and unfit and won’t look out of place in Shute Shield. It might be a good 2 years before we see his true potential.

I'm less worried about weight/fitness than I would be skills. You only have to watch a Saracens game or two to see how quickly Skelton turned himself around on that front. So the question is, how was he on the skills front?

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
We've effectively traded Wells for Sinclair, given Sinclair was previously contracted to the Rebels and Wells to the Tahs. Shoreman for a shoreman. There are some decent backrowers signed to the Tahs already so it will be hard to crack it for him but it should be better for his development to have everything based in Sydney.

Sinclair was in the extended Waratah's squad last year. Wasn't it 2017 or so that he had the stint down at the Rebels? same time as Miller? .. but yes, it does look like a shuffle. Might not be bad for Wells to try a different setup for a while. Run around with a different bunch of players. Was a bit of an odd year for him last year with his involvement in the 7's program.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sketon has always had skills. Remember his test debut and that wonderful pass to Folau for his try?

Had a quick trip down memory lane on YouTube for that.
Commentator - "I think Folau has just found somebody else to run off during his career".
Damm circumstances!

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sketon has always had skills. Remember his test debut and that wonderful pass to Folau for his try?

Reg, maybe I wasn’t clear. I was actually asking about Tepai Moeroa‘s skills that Jeeper might have seen at the 9’s. I was saying if he is like Skelton (has the skills) I’m not so worried if his conditioning isn’t up to scratch atm. That can be turned around rather quick (not 2yrs like some mentioned) and was pointing to Skelton as and example of that. Skelton had the skills, now has the conditioning to match. Hopefully Tepai is the same.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Rebs win that one.

Sinclair was a Cron project. Got a couple of call ups this year IIRC. Miller and Wells are along way in front at this stage.

IMO Nick CDC was the form back rower in SS,

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rebs win that one.

Sinclair was a Cron project. Got a couple of call ups this year IIRC. Miller and Wells are along way in front at this stage.

IMO Nick CDC was the form back rower in SS,

I don't disagree that Wells/Miller are further along. Having said that, they also have had potentially more of a chance than Sinclair, so I'm not sure we've seen Sinclair's full potentail yet. Miller in particular I feel is a lost, but with Hooper at the Tahs you can see why it was likely the right decision and from all reports he's integrated well with the team. Samu had some nice things to say about him.

I didn't watch all the Uni games, but I did like what I saw of Nick CDC.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't disagree that Wells/Miller are further along. Having said that, they also have had potentially more of a chance than Sinclair, so I'm not sure we've seen Sinclair's full potentail yet. Miller in particular I feel is a lost, but with Hooper at the Tahs you can see why it was likely the right decision and from all reports he's integrated well with the team. Samu had some nice things to say about him.

I didn't watch all the Uni games, but I did like what I saw of Nick CDC.

I think too, as Will's a Berry boy, probably fits right in with Brumbies. Quite a lot of people down my way (Shoalhaven) support the Brumbies over the Tahs, with some local players going that way in the past.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Losing Wells and signing Sinclair might be a net loss in terms of the position but probably represents a reduction in the wage bill. This makes sense as Sinclair should generally be outside our matchday 23 and if all goes to plan in 2020, Wells would just about be.

We've lost Miller but we've signed Gamble and Tizzano. I think Tizzano has greater long term potential than Miller, particularly in terms of his age and being a potential replacement for Hooper down the line. Again, Miller vs Gamble or Tizzano would see a reduction in salary costs for us in 2020.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Losing Wells and signing Sinclair might be a net loss in terms of the position but probably represents a reduction in the wage bill. This makes sense as Sinclair should generally be outside our matchday 23 and if all goes to plan in 2020, Wells would just about be.

We've lost Miller but we've signed Gamble and Tizzano. I think Tizzano has greater long term potential than Miller, particularly in terms of his age and being a potential replacement for Hooper down the line. Again, Miller vs Gamble or Tizzano would see a reduction in salary costs for us in 2020.

I agree that Tizzano has a lot of upside and with Hooper having a 4 year contract there is some time to develop. I just rated Miller and wouldn't have minded seeing another season of him in Sky Blue. He felt like a player who is leaving before we saw his best, but I get a sense that his best isn't too far off. I also think that Hooper will need to be better managed moving forward. Gibson really didn't do a good job on that front, particularly with the Wallabies players who also had to turn up for 12 or so tests over the year in addition to Super.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree that Tizzano has a lot of upside and with Hooper having a 4 year contract there is some time to develop. I just rated Miller and wouldn't have minded seeing another season of him in Sky Blue. He felt like a player who is leaving before we saw his best, but I get a sense that his best isn't too far off. I also think that Hooper will need to be better managed moving forward. Gibson really didn't do a good job on that front, particularly with the Wallabies players who also had to turn up for 12 or so tests over the year in addition to Super.

I agree. In an ideal world we would have retained Miller for another year instead of signing Gamble and still signed Tizzano as the 7 for the future.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Sinclair was in the extended Waratah's squad last year. Wasn't it 2017 or so that he had the stint down at the Rebels? same time as Miller? .. but yes, it does look like a shuffle. Might not be bad for Wells to try a different setup for a while. Run around with a different bunch of players. Was a bit of an odd year for him last year with his involvement in the 7's program.
Yep, 2017. They were both on short term, injury cover contracts. Necessary as Totality Tony had 40% of the playing list in team rehab at the time. IIRC, Sinclair got a fair bit more game time than Miller.