• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think it will be a tight one, but im picking the Tahs, expecting something like 18-16.

As for team (very similar to Braveheart's)

1. Robertson
2. Latu
3. Ryan
4. Simmons
5. Staniforth
6. Hanigan
7. Hooper
8. Holloway
9. Gordon
10. Foley
11. Newsome
12. Beale
13. Rona
14. Foketi
15. Folau

Leaked team in the SMH is a long way from yours and not in a good way IMO.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Much of this discussion (including my own contribution) would probably go much better in the match thread.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Massive brain fart Derpus!! Yes my mistake.

But his workload is still an issue. See my comment on 28 July 2017

"I just worry that the bloke will be burnt out in the not to distant future. Id love to see the Waratahs sign a half decent backup (maybe someone with some professional experience like Will Miller or Boyd Killingworth) and reduce Hoopers minutes.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Does anyone know what happened with Ben McCalman? I guess he probably failed his medical but I am curious if the Tahs have a plan B. An experienced hard running back rower would be nice.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Does anyone know what happened with Ben McCalman? I guess he probably failed his medical but I am curious if the Tahs have a plan B. An experienced hard running back rower would be nice.

Clearly secret squirrel stuff. It is beyond understanding why a good PR team couldn't have announced that there were injury problems with the signing, which has been deferred to some point in the future.

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interesting first team selection, good to see Nick Palmer named on the bench, I think Kellaway is a bizarre decision but they clearly have seen something in training that pushes him ahead of the rest.
NSW Waratahscaps in brackets and * denotes Super Rugby debutant for NSW Waratahs

1. Tom Robertson (27)
2. Damien Fitzpatrick (31)
3. Paddy Ryan (91)
4. Tom Staniforth (*)
5. Rob Simmons (*)
6. Ned Hanigan (15)
7. Michael Hooper (80, captain)
8. Michael Wells (15)
9. Jake Gordon (12)
10. Bernard Foley (87, vice-captain)
11. Curtis Rona (*)
12. Kurtley Beale (110)
13. Lalakai Foketi (*)
14. Andrew Kellaway (20)
15. Israel Folau (75)

Reserves:
16. Hugh Roach (30)
17. Harry Johnson-Holmes (*)
18. Shambeckler Vui (*)
19. Nick Palmer (*)
20. Jed Holloway (23)
21. Mitch Short (*)
22. Bryce Hegarty (13)
23. Alex Newsome (*)

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
Is Tolu Latu injured? He seems to me by far the best hooker in the squad.

Waratahs coach Daryl Gibson said Fitzpatrick had shaken off the concern early in the week, putting him in the box seat to take the starting hooker spot, in a side with nine Waratahs debutants and two Super Rugby debutants.
The 28-year-old has been cleared, though, and will start for the Waratahs, with Hugh Roach on the bench and Tolu Latu missing out on the 23 altogether.
Gibson said Latu, who just 15 months ago was starting for the Wallabies, had a fight on his hands to return to the matchday 23.
"That one there is an interesting battle, (it) will go all year," he said.
"Damien and Hugh have done well, they've been there all through preseason and they've really had some quality performances.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Never been a fan of either Roach or Fitzpatrick, two short backrowers playing as underweight hookers. Might gain something around the park but compromises other areas and not just the scrum. The only Hooker of comparable frame that really performed at the required level consistently was Adam Frier.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Apparently Kalivati TAWAKE has a contract and is on the plane to SA. 182cm 124kg prop from Fiji. I am guessing he was the one on the bench against the rebels

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Never been a fan of either Roach or Fitzpatrick, two short backrowers playing as underweight hookers. Might gain something around the park but compromises other areas and not just the scrum. The only Hooker of comparable frame that really performed at the required level consistently was Adam Frier.

I think you need to look at the whole scrum, old chap. Take your Randwick cap off, too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's no doubt Latu is a stronger scrummager than Fitzpatrick and particularly Roach but I don't think it is that great a difference.

I thought Fitzpatrick was generally good and the lineout performed very well. Roach added huge spark when he came onto the field and made a couple of key runs.

Latu has the most upside of any of them but really needs to step up his fitness. Currently he'd have to show that he is the one that can single handedly sure up the scrum to come into the starting side and I don't think he can do that.

The fourth string option JP Sauni could be a huge talent so hopefully he gets some opportunity and hangs around.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Simmons out of next few games injured. Swinton added to squad. Good luck to him. Bloody hell running out of experienced forwards

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think you need to look at the whole scrum, old chap. Take your Randwick cap off, too.

Same old replies Wamberal, and fail to address the point. As predicted the scrum was compromised, and as you say not just by the hookers.

It was a bit ironic that the win was in part set up by a scrum win against the feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.