• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Anyone think there is a chance of Mason forcing his way into the starting side? He's looked fucking excellent at the 10's!

I only saw the second game but I thought the combination between Gordon and Mason was electric. Phipps may regret missing out through injury. If Foley gets injured I think Mason might well have matured enough now to be able to spark the rest of the backline. Early days, but good signs!

T

TOCC

Mason was good on day 1, his form on day 2 wasn't as good, threw a few hospital passes.

Naiyaravoro was certainly looking promising though, he looks like he is back to his 2014-2015 playing weight, he blew out the last couple of years, but looks to have shed that.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Blew out to 136 last season and in the off season. Down to 124 for the 10's (12 kgs in 3 weeks!!!) - Gibson says 3 to go, so 121kg ideal playing weight.

T

TOCC

Naiyaravoro in 2014 at a svelte 120kg , if he can get back to this kind of conditioning he can force his way back into the Wallabies
Taqele_Naiyaravoro52.jpg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Naiyaravoro just nailing down regular starting position for the Tahs would be first goal I would have thought TOCC before we starting talking Wallabies selection. But certainly showing some promise and may it continue.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Some impressions from the first half:
Both sides:

* Discipline has been very poor.
* Conditions have been challenging.

Waratahs:
* Beale and Folau have looked ordinary but hopefully will blow out the cobwebs by next week. (Foley really needs someone like Beale playing inside him to help with his lack of creativity.)
* Stanaforth got Rodda BIG! and is looking very impressive and busy. (Gotta start Round 1!)
* Waratahs defence looks much better than last year.
* I think I heard the referee telling Hooper to shut up already, probably not ideal.

Rebels:
* Playing far too narrow.
* Look very talented but even more disorganised.
* Scrum has been very impressive. (Not sure if it's the Rebels scrum being good or the Waratahs Scrum being bad.)
* Backline looks like it's been held back.
EDIT: I say Folau and Beale have been poor and they come out and turn it on to start the second half. -_-

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
Thoughts on last nights trial vs Rebs. (Good quality stream via the tahs website btw)

Tahs.

Very enthusiastic and committed in defense. Chased everything and hitting hard in contact.
Some sloppy ball movement in the first 30 min but made quite a few half breaks that could easily have converted.
Looked to move the ball into space whenever the opportunity presented and had rebels defense under a lot of pressure.
Scrum under pressure in the 1st half and line-out poor with Rebs winning first 3 against the throw. Both improved during the game with the tahs winning a scrum penalty try with the 2nd stringers on late in the game. Highlight players were Staniforth with some strong carries, Hooper as always, halves were slick after a slowish start and some great touches from all the o/s backs. Folau and Newsome looked good as did Rona but Fekitou had a cracker and has probably played himself into the 23.

Rebs

Solid defense in the first half and put huge pressure on Tahs set piece early. VERY narrow in attack and looked leaderless in attack with the midfield box kick being their weapon of choice via Ruru.
Really showed very little by way of ball carrying and didn't present too many challenges to the defense except for the big men hitting up in the narrow channels either side of the breakdown.

They need a quality 10 fast or this could be a very disappointing year after all the hype..... Otherwise could be a year of Jakeball with one of the fastest unused backlines in the competition......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That was a solid effort by the Tahs last night. The set piece needs to improve but the backline could be very strong if the forwards can get close to parity.

I think the likely matchday 23 for round 1 could be something like:

1. Robertson
2. Latu (pending Fitzpatrick injury)
3. Ryan
4. Simmons
5. Staniforth
6. Hanigan/Wells
7. Hooper
8. Holloway
9. Gordon
10. Foley
11. Newsome
12. Beale
13. Foketi
14. Rona
15. Folau

16. Roach
17. Johnson-Holmes
18. Vui
19. Wells/Hanigan
20. Miller
21. Short
22. Mason
23. Kellaway/Clark

At this point I'm counting out Kepu who is suspended, Phipps who is injured for a couple of weeks and Naiyaravoro who was also a scratching from last night's game. Maybe he'll be back for round 1 and if so is a strong chance to be in the matchday 23.

Dempsey will return to the side when he is fit but that is a fair while away.

I feel like Foketi is shading Rona for form right now and is a strong chance to start at 13.

I expect Paddy Ryan will revert to reserve LHP when Kepu comes back.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would prefer Ryan not be a starting THP, he does a reasonable job at LHP, but he will be an issue at THP

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would prefer Ryan not be a starting THP, he does a reasonable job at LHP, but he will be an issue at THP

Me too.

We'll see what pans out next week but I'm guessing his experience is keeping him ahead of Vui and Johnson-Holmes right now.

Ultimately I think we'll have Robertson and Kepu starting with Ryan and Vui/Johnson-Holmes on the bench.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Me too.

We'll see what pans out next week but I'm guessing his experience is keeping him ahead of Vui and Johnson-Holmes right now.

Ultimately I think we'll have Robertson and Kepu starting with Ryan and Vui/Johnson-Holmes on the bench.

I've not seen Walker live (apart from the 10s last week). How does he scrummage?

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I know it won't happen, but to me the logical thing would be to have Ryan at LHP, where I think all agree he is far better suited, and Robertson at THP, where he played his first season of Super Rugby and scrummaged at a level he hasn't reached since.
His move to LHP was to accommodate Kepu, which made sense, and now that Cheika has slotted him as reserve LHP for the Wallabies I guess there he will stay, but it seems until Kepu returns we have two props both playing on their weaker sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.