• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Interesting article - Waratahs v Kings was officially the lowest crowd ever in Sydney for the Tahs: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...e-crowd-in-clubs-history-20170426-gvsnz4.html

What I wonder is if Hore is saying that it's a tough market in Sydney and the Kings are not well known etc, why not offer free family tickets to a whole lot of junior players and also to registered adult/teenage players who are from lower tier clubs to encourage them to come along and perhaps develop more support for the Tahs. It would boost the crowd numbers and likely increase the food and beverage sales without really costing the Waratahs a great deal as they would be tapping into people who may not be members for the most part and might have considered it too expensive. Get their contact details and start offering them regular attractive deals. Just expecting their traditional fan base to keep coming doesn't seem to be working. In fact get the players to visit those clubs for promotional purposes on club training nights and launch the ticket giveaways there, it would build the excitement and give the club members more of a connection to the team as they would have met some of the players.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
They offered a stack of free tickets through clubs. No-one wanted them. You literally couldn't give them away.

Reactions: mst

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting article - Waratahs v Kings was officially the lowest crowd ever in Sydney for the Tahs: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...e-crowd-in-clubs-history-20170426-gvsnz4.html

What I wonder is if Hore is saying that it's a tough market in Sydney and the Kings are not well known etc, why not offer free family tickets to a whole lot of junior players and also to registered adult/teenage players who are from lower tier clubs to encourage them to come along and perhaps develop more support for the Tahs. It would boost the crowd numbers and likely increase the food and beverage sales without really costing the Waratahs a great deal as they would be tapping into people who may not be members for the most part and might have considered it too expensive. Get their contact details and start offering them regular attractive deals. Just expecting their traditional fan base to keep coming doesn't seem to be working. In fact get the players to visit those clubs for promotional purposes on club training nights and launch the ticket giveaways there, it would build the excitement and give the club members more of a connection to the team as they would have met some of the players.

This is similar to what the Force did with the Kings. I reckon it would've made an impact for those juniors who came along too as a buttload of tries were scored and thankfully we came away with the win. Great for teams like the Kings, Cheetahs and Sunwolves- maybe even the Argies too.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
They offered a stack of free tickets through clubs. No-one wanted them. You literally couldn't give them away.

Stacks and Stacks.

I think they now need to take the game to the fans / community.
I think they said less than 10,000 of Friday night?

Brookie holds greater.
Concord holds greater.
Parra Stadium holds greater.
Sharks studium formelly known as Caltex holds greater.
Nth Sydney Oval Holds greater.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Tahs have launched this Club Legend thing this year - someone from Junior Clubs behing able to be more engaged with the Tahs. Just the way i wrote that is wrong - I'd love it to be the otherway around Tahs be pro actively more involved in the Junior Clubs.

I'm confident if the the players would if the systems / structures / process were in place - but they aren't.
I know of players that jump at the chances and the kids love it, and it builds support from the very grass roots.

a.jpg

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)

There in my view are a combination of factors in play here and none of them have to do with the nature of the opposition
1. The Tahs organisation has had its head up its backside for so long and has paid absolute lip service to anybody who doesn't live within a 20 minute drive from Camperdown. Now Hore might be trying to fix this but he has a mountain to climb to fix the apathy of his predecessors and his arrogant Board .
2. The pall of doom that the ARU incompetence has placed over the game has tentacles that reach far beyond Melbourne and Perth .
3. The competition in general outside of NZ local derbies is rubbish Rugby and the educated Rugby fan can't be bothered with the dross .
4. The Tahs team is playing like its organisations long standing culture , with arrogance and no heart ( Cheika years are the clear exception )

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I have a question for the faithful few. If I gave you a list of the 2017 squad (Less the proven performers and those I consider a sideshow) who would you say has taken their chance and run with it? Which players are pushing those around them and challenging for higher honours? Think any number of Kiwi bolters.

Sam Needs
Tom Robertson*
Matt Sandell
Damien Fitzpatrick
Tolu Latu*
Hugh Roach
Ned Hanigan
Ryan McCauley
Senio Toleafoa
Jack Dempsey
Jed Holloway
Michael Wells