• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^ yep, that's certainly a much bigger issue.
Effectively they have admitted to inflating the crowd numbers for every game for years.
Most games the members might be 1/2 full.
I understand that members/corporates take up over 15,000 seats.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
If there's 15,000 members then they're doing a pretty bad job of counting them all to not get a 11,000 crowd ;)

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
^^^ yep, that's certainly a much bigger issue. Effectively they have admitted to inflating the crowd numbers for every game for years. Most games the members might be 1/2 full. I understand that members/corporates take up over 15,000 seats.

Allen might've mentioned "stadium members" but I suspect he meant Waratahs members, not SCG members. Waratahs season members don't sit in the members section.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think he's been OK off the bench. Actually think it's his best spot. Brings a nice spark.

Sorry I can't agree. Couple of weeks ago the Tahs were down 21 points in ten minutes. They clawed their way back into the game in the second half, ten or so to go, they won the ball around the 22 and start to attack. Phipps passes to Hegarty, behind and above his right shoulder. Hegarty knocks on, all momentum lost, game over. Commentators pay out on Hegarty big time -poor bastard.

This year the accuracy of his pass has been the worst I have ever seen from him. So no, he has not been OK off the bench.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry I can't agree. Couple of weeks ago the Tahs were down 21 points in ten minutes. They clawed their way back into the game in the second half, ten or so to go, they won the ball around the 22 and start to attack. Phipps passes to Hegarty, behind and above his right shoulder. Hegarty knocks on, all momentum lost, game over. Commentators pay out on Hegarty big time -poor bastard.

This year the accuracy of his pass has been the worst I have ever seen from him. So no, he has not been OK off the bench.

100% Phipps has regressed back to his worst. IMO he is lucky to be on the bench. Even his defence and work rate are significantly down, which is not surprising when you consider the defensive success rate of the whole side.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Its not just him who has been inaccurate - not that it matters: you put it right on the button and the highest paid player in the land coughs it up like a schoolboy.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
100% Phipps has regressed back to his worst. IMO he is lucky to be on the bench. Even his defence and work rate are significantly down, which is not surprising when you consider the defensive success rate of the whole side.
It's a bit hard to single out individuals when, frankly, some kind of creeping malaise has affected the entire team. They are all shadows of their former selves. Even Hooper and Foley, the only two actually trying, are not really where they should be.

But yeah Phipps is pretty pants sometimes.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The crazy thing with the weakness of the Australian conference is that if we'd managed to beat the Kings last week we'd only be two points behind the Brumbies for the top of the conference and third overall on the ladder.

As it is, the Aussie conference is still pretty open. A lack of bonus points is hurting the Tahs, particularly easily missed ones like against the Hurricanes where we turned down a gimme 3 with a couple of minutes to go.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I guess we'll see next weekend whether any progress has actually been made, or it was just that the Reds were even worse than the Tahs. There were certainly things to like on the weekend, however the passing and catching was still at 13c's level (and I apologise to any readers in the 13c's, that comment was probably unfair!)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The trend is the same at the Reds, and these crowd figures for the Tahs are scary bad (in terms of both the Tahs financial and commercial situation and in terms of fan adherence levels):

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...e-crowd-in-clubs-history-20170426-gvsnz4.html

Once we've culled a Super team, everything will improve though, won't it.

A serious note too btw: the admission in this article that some historical low Tahs' crowd figures have been highly overstated and were now, later, subject to significant downwards revision.

I have long suspected this to be true for Reds' crowds at Suncorp when I was sure the crowd was, say, less than 15,000 and worse, but the reported figure from the media and QRU was a crazily overstated 20,000 or so.

You may have also noticed the other implicit implication; after posting their lowest crowd on record, instead of acknowledging it they try to spin it into some sort of masochistic good news by saying, no, there was a worse crowd a few years back but we falsified the figures.

FFS

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

With Hegarty playing 5 miles behind the advantage line and slowly, Phipps did look average.

But he looked pretty good on Saturday, he was quick to the breakdown (he is quickest Aus 9 to the breakdown by miles) and with the Tahs playing flat his passing was pretty good.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You may have also noticed the other implicit implication; after posting their lowest crowd on record, instead of acknowledging it they try to spin it into some sort of masochistic good news by saying, no, there was a worse crowd a few years back but we falsified the figures.

FFS

They start looking like winning (and trying) and the crowds will return

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
With Hegarty playing 5 miles behind the advantage line and slowly, Phipps did look average.

But he looked pretty good on Saturday, he was quick to the breakdown (he is quickest Aus 9 to the breakdown by miles) and with the Tahs playing flat his passing was pretty good.

Phipps is a decent energy guy off the bench at test level, who hit some bad form in Super rugby.

People death riding him are just being ridiculous.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Phipps is a decent energy guy off the bench at test level, who hit some bad form in Super rugby.

People death riding him are just being ridiculous.

I think Phipps brings a lot of energy and I imagine within the team he really fires them up, which you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.