• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
As for strange selections, has there ever been a stranger one than Jeremy Tilse? The Woodies scrum used to towel him and his mates up time after time. And yet, somehow, both he and Ryan end up with long term gigs. And our props? One or two have had an occasional sniff. That's about it.

Yep another example.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Whilst I think Gibson needs to go as it's very hard to see him turning the team around, the trouble is who do you replace him with?

Let's assume you sacked Gibson today and put one of the assistants in charge for the rest of the season. Nathan Grey is under a ton of pressure at both Super Rugby and Wallaby level as defence coach which is struggling to contain points.

Then you've got Cameron Blades whose scrum just got towelled up by the worst scrum in South Africa. We might have been missing Sekope Kepu but the remaining players can't perform that poorly. Our lineout is average and our breakdown work is woeful. The number of times we fail to secure our own ball when we're on the front foot is startling.

So certainly you have to look for a new coach for next season and that search should be already underway, but if you sack Gibson now, who the hell do you replace him with?

I'd drop Tim Lane, and Rod Macqueen an email - they have worked together tremenously well before.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Waugh was a year ahead of Smith. Should we blame the Tahs for signing Waugh?

Smith was smart enough to go to Canberra. That was actually great for Australian rugby, because it meant that both of our best young 7s could start in Super Rugby.

What is wrong with that, Dave?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just what every coach with a two from eight season wants to hear:

"Kiwi coach Daryl Gibson has Waratahs' board's 'full support' despite Super Rugby struggles"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ds-full-support-despite-super-rugby-struggles

I'll just set this, shall I? No reason.

stopwatch.jpg

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This is lazy journalism. The rugby equivalent of "have you stopped beating your wife yet".

Only one answer to the question is possible. A five year old kid knows that.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Smith was smart enough to go to Canberra. That was actually great for Australian rugby, because it meant that both of our best young 7s could start in Super Rugby.

Nothing wrong with that, both gooood players,

Yeah???
Ive read a couple of books and right through their junior rugby they were battled / played against each other.
One did go to Cromer Public High School.
One did go to Shore.

The point i was referring to is that sometime Tahs give U19 / U20 kids EPS prior to playing grade becuase they are rockstars at Private schools (Phil went on and proved his worth).

Heard a story the other week that a young kid was invited to play first grade for Manly becuase of injury, I think it was in 99, and he tore the house down.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
My memory is not all that great, Dave. I do remember Waugh starting for Sydney Uni in the 1999 Shute Shield Grand Final.

Scott Fava was our 7, IIRC. Anyway, Waugh dropped the ball with the line open.

The rest is history.

Frankly, I am glad George went to Canberra. It didn't seem to affect his career too much!!!!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
My memory is not all that great, Dave. I do remember Waugh starting for Sydney Uni in the 1999 Shute Shield Grand Final.

Scott Fava was our 7, IIRC. Anyway, Waugh dropped the ball with the line open.

The rest is history.

Frankly, I am glad George went to Canberra. It didn't seem to affect his career too much!!!!

Yes a chap from that great 97 Grand Final was telling me about a young George Smith coming through.

Phil started his rugby on the Peninsular before, for unkown reasons shifting to Uni.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Did you have to mention '97???????????

Scott Staniforth at full back, never played there in his life. Or it looked like that.

Plus Willie O back to his absolute finest, the bugger.

George played for Tupou College, the toughest school in Tonga. Not sure what age he was. Also do not know whether he played for the 1st XV, although that is the impression I have. He might have gone back for a year?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Waugh was seen as a future captain, too. But would I have taken George instead? Bloody oath. With the benefit of hindsight, that is. Plus I am still a bit dubious about the timing of all this.

The other interesting thing is that Uni was not as dominant then as they are now.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Did you have to mention '97???????????

Scott Staniforth at full back, never played there in his life. Or it looked like that.

Plus Willie O back to his absolute finest, the bugger.

George played for Tupou College, the toughest school in Tonga. Not sure what age he was. Also do not know whether he played for the 1st XV, although that is the impression I have. He might have gone back for a year?

1997 was the year that Matt Williams wouldn't pick Willie for NSW because he though Willie wasn't good enough.:)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Both debuted in 2000.
But Smith was a year younger and I guess something of an unknown quantity out of school, up to a point.
No doubt in my mind that Smith benefitted from being at the Brumbies because of NSWs perennial under performance.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Both debuted in 2000.
But Smith was a year younger and I guess something of an unknown quantity out of school, up to a point.
No doubt in my mind that Smith benefitted from being at the Brumbies because of NSWs perennial under performance.

Ive always thought Brumbies picked up NSW political left overs, players went there becuase NSW didnt sign them - they proved time and again they were very good players playing a team sport.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
If the Tahs want to keep Gibson then watch the crowds further disappear and the team keep going further and further down the ladder. I thought our CEO was better then that. I hope it is all for show.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If the Tahs want to keep Gibson then watch the crowds further disappear and the team keep going further and further down the ladder. I thought our CEO was better then that. I hope it is all for show.

He's been given the full support of the board, and we know what that means in elite sport.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.