• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
There's really not too much to whinge about with the Tahs these days, but I'm not sure they hit the right note with their marketing slogan for next year: "Believe. 2014". It says to me "We have nothing else - just believe". It might have been a better slogan for this year, looking skywards from the wreckage of 2012.

I'm more in favour of "This time we'll get it right. 2014". Or "More of what you liked this year, with less of the frustrating drops in intensity. Tahs 2014".

Yes, it's a slow day at work.

An add campaign with highlights of this years running rugby with the slogan "Run with us in 2014".

I think that would hit the mark.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
according to KB (Kurtley Beale) in the papers he hopes to be the number one 10

I read that article as saying that KB (Kurtley Beale) wanted a shot at 10 but recognised that Foley had gone very well and if he wasn't chosen there he'd be happy to play elsewhere. I have no problems with that; he's not saying that one of his contract KPI's is that he is selected at 10.

Right now from 10 to 15 we have seven top class starters: Foley, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Betham, Crawford, Folau and Beale, with other good back-up players to cover them. There are six positions available for those seven players. Only one has to pick up an injury at any one time to make six available for six positions. I predict there will be enough injuries over the season that all seven will play ten plus games as starters and we will need to select from the back-up squad as well.

My chief worry about the squad is not who will play where in the backs. I think that backs contingent might just cut a few teams to shreds next year, and I don't just mean the fifth saffer team. My chief concern, as I am sure all Tah supporters would agree, is the composition of the front row and especially back-up hooker. TPN cannot play 18-20 games straight, somewhere along the line he will get injured. We've got our marquee player so we can't get a top hooker from that pool and the local pool is just about drained. All that leaves is some promising types like Latu. I don't rate Holmes as anywhere close to Ulugia's standard.

PS. Offer Horwitz an EPS spot NOW! He's going to be very good; and have another look at Saifoloi too. Volavola does not look like 10 material.

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
The form hooker in the shute shield is Roach from Eastwood IMHO. He has the abrasive toughness Cheika wants, the work ethic the team needs and the skills and athleticisim required to be a robust pro player. He is holding a spot in the top SS team in either of two positions and has a great reack record at U20 level in the #2. Home grown and loyal. Get it done Tahs!!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The form hooker in the shute shield is Roach from Eastwood IMHO. He has the abrasive toughness Cheika wants, the work ethic the team needs and the skills and athleticisim required to be a robust pro player. He is holding a spot in the top SS team in either of two positions and has a great reack record at U20 level in the #2. Home grown and loyal. Get it done Tahs!!

I think he has signed for the Force, feel free to correct me one that one though

Zander

Ron Walden (29)

I'm not sure how he's the 'form hooker' because he's been playing openside the last 2 months.

JT0406

Allen Oxlade (6)
His scrummaging is average and appears lightweight for a hooker come collision time and scrummage.

Though his work rate is huge, probably the reason why for the transition to flanker.

I do recall his name in a force line up this season.

masai

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm not sure how he's the 'form hooker' because he's been playing openside the last 2 months.

Yeah, and I wouldn't call him the form openside either. There's no doubt he's a huge talent just because of his physical attributes. His play is seriously reminiscent of Michael Hooper in that regard. But his fundamental skill level in both positions is seriously lacking at the moment and certainly not up to Super Rugby backup level.

As an openside, he hasn't developed the necessary instincts to be effective at the breakdown. He's far too aggressive with his pilfering, seeming to have a go at every ruck that he hits first rather than having the patience to wait for the right opportunity. As a hooker, I haven't seen him scrummage yet in the Shield, but he does his share of the throwing and it's been very wayward at times.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Guess you didn't see his try on the weekend. Devastating palm on a lock to go over. He scores nearly every week, sniffing them out is a good attribute.

I'm pretty sure he fended off the Easts number 8 Andrew Shaw to score that try. Shaw is pretty small as far as number 8s go.

That said, I'm a big fan of Roach and would like to see him get a spot on the Tahs EPS next year.

JT0406

Allen Oxlade (6)
Guess you didn't see his try on the weekend. Devastating palm on a lock to go over. He scores nearly every week, sniffing them out is a good attribute.

I just don't think he has the collision and scrummaging (current form) as a hooker to compete at Super Rugby level.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
I
PS. Offer Horwitz an EPS spot NOW! He's going to be very good; and have another look at Saifoloi too. Volavola does not look like 10 material.

Hawko, couldn't agree more with this. Volavola is an oustide back, and isn't in the top handful. I honestly don't see him being much use other then injury cover around the back.

Foley & Beale have 10 covered nicely, with foley the better choice given he runs the ball at the line, something cheika can hopefully impart on to Beale.

Horwitz should be there to get some experience, because in about 2 years time i think he could be right about on the mark as the go to 5/8 option (Beale isnt always injury free). Sofaloi looks quality playing SS, but i think he might get more of a run at another franchise (possibly rebels or Force?).

Regarding hookers, it is a massive bug of mine that we have a habit of not developing kids through the grades to be mature hookers with a level of experience. Roach isn't quite big enough (Yet), holmes is ordinary and has shown he can't cut it, Latu might be ok, and will likely be the gamble, but due to no development of our hookers, look at our current situation.

When Saia F is in the wallabies squad as a back up hooker, i think this highlights the current lack of development! On the game from the weekend, i like the look of Holloway, Skelton and Horwitz. They were the standouts for mine.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
I have just read that Sam Lane will probably join ASM Clermont youth team... don't really understand this move

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Hawko, couldn't agree more with this. Volavola is an oustide back, and isn't in the top handful. I honestly don't see him being much use other then injury cover around the back.

Horwitz should be there to get some experience, because in about 2 years time i think he could be right about on the mark as the go to 5/8 option

Regarding hookers …… Roach isn't quite big enough (Yet), holmes is ordinary and has shown he can't cut it, Latu might be ok, and will likely be the gamble, but due to no development of our hookers, look at our current situation.

Volvo - Agree, he is an outside back who can play flyhalf from the bench, if needed, but probably won't be unless there is a butcher's bill. And as you indicate, Horwitz should be in the EPS – and be 3rd string flyhalf.

He won't be too young. Even if Horwitz had played in the early rounds this year, he still would have been three months younger than KB (Kurtley Beale) was when he ran on for the Tahs back in the day. And arguably more important than age, if he has to run on early in 2014 he would have had that priceless year playing for the Sydney Academy, 1st Grade for Randwick and in Argentina recently.

It would be good if we could have a backup hooker who is an old stager but there are not many that you would pick from Sydney club rugby.

I have just seen a replay of the first NSW Baas v. Argentina match and Latu did a fair job as hooker. Some of the fiddly throws to the front of the lineout for a run from the front didn't work out, and a couple were lost by good attacking Argie moves, but he can throw straight.

Also he has had two years in the Oz U/20 team as a starting LHP; so that helps his CV. He is a big, tough player, and mobile as we saw in the 2nd Argie game backing up on the inside of Horwitz, which lead to a try.

Luke Holmes is an experienced hooker who will play his best until he drops and is a good team player, but I'd rather see a younger bloke who may have Wallaby potential in the backup spot, especially if he is strong enough and big enough to shift people, and is mobile – even if he has to learn of the job.

We can't be certain of who will get the remaining spots, including EPS berths, but we can be sure that the Argentina tour has helped Cheika to assess a few players better than if it didn't happen.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The elephant in the room is the new scrummaging rules, we were smashed in Argentina

I have no idea how these hookers will adapt and who will succeed.

Now Moore has already mentioned the hand signs or we could have the other option of the 9 tapping the ball on Hookers hand (another old fashioned approach to timing the strike)

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
I have just seen a replay of the first NSW Baas v. Argentina match and Latu did a fair job as hooker. He is a big, tough player, and mobile as we saw in the 2nd Argie game backing up on the inside of Horwitz, which lead to a try.

Silatolu Latu
Hooker

Height: 178cm
Weight: 110kg
Date Of Birth: 23/02/1993
Place of Birth: Nuku Alofa, Tonga
Rugby Career
Senior Club: Sydney University (NSW)

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Latu was an outstanding junior player. he went to a school where they did not play rugby and did not encourage any student to go for rep honours. He did get plenty of rep experience through club rugby and in his age group was the outstnading player. He was a backrower back then so I can draw a comparison to TPN, who seemed to make the change of position work for him

Status
Not open for further replies.