• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
There's really not too much to whinge about with the Tahs these days, but I'm not sure they hit the right note with their marketing slogan for next year: "Believe. 2014". It says to me "We have nothing else - just believe". It might have been a better slogan for this year, looking skywards from the wreckage of 2012.

I'm more in favour of "This time we'll get it right. 2014". Or "More of what you liked this year, with less of the frustrating drops in intensity. Tahs 2014".

Yes, it's a slow day at work.

Reactions: TSR

Richo

John Thornett (49)
There's really not too much to whinge about with the Tahs these days, but I'm not sure they hit the right note with their marketing slogan for next year: "Believe. 2014". It says to me "We have nothing else - just believe". It might have been a better slogan for this year, looking skywards from the wreckage of 2012.

I'm more in favour of "This time we'll get it right. 2014". Or "More of what you liked this year, with less of the frustrating drops in intensity. Tahs 2014".

Yes, it's a slow day at work.

So, basically, "Hope. 2014."

Or maybe, "Try. 2014."

I can see those on the back of taxis.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Edinburgh have signed Ollie Atkins and Grayson Hart from the Tahs, both scottish qualified so good signings for them and not really going to worry you to much.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Edinburgh have signed Ollie Atkins and Grayson Hart from the Tahs, both scottish qualified so good signings for them and not really going to worry you to much.

Grayson Hart won't be a worry but Ollie Atkins played OK when he got on the field. I think that he could be anything in two years time, but I'll be mighty pissed if he ends up a long-term lock for Scotland. For my money we should have given him a one year contract and seen how well he grew next year.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Fox Sports New leading with a Beale to the Tahs story, cuts to interview with KB (Kurtley Beale) confirming they are just waiting on the paperwork being finalised

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I've got mixed feelings about Beale.

I'm hoping he has to prove his place in the side. Betham-Folau-Crawford is a strong and varied back three. They all performed well. Foley is surely untouchable at 10 for now.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Fox Sports New leading with a Beale to the Tahs story, cuts to interview with KB (Kurtley Beale) confirming they are just waiting on the paperwork being finalised

Good news. Now lets just tie up Folau's contract! The backline next year is going to have some scary talent in it!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Betham seems to have shown his upper limit during the year. I'd much prefer to see a back three of Crawford and Folau on the wings and Beale at fullback.

His upper limit included destroying a few blokes in scoring some nice tries... Including the Brumbies. He's a good winger, but maybe not Test standard. He will benefit a lot when the Tahs get into full swing next year, provided he gets game time.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

T

TOCC

Has it been announced that Volvo will be the Principal sponsor of the Tahs in 2014-15?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
His upper limit included destroying a few blokes in scoring some nice tries. Including the Brumbies. He's a good winger, but maybe not Test standard. He will benefit a lot when the Tahs get into full swing next year, provided he gets game time.

Some of those runs Betham did make for a great upper limit, if that's the case. And we saw more of them in the ITM Cup before that.

The main weakness to his game is the mistakes - dropped easy balls, lost balls in contacts, poor defensive reads. The other is getting more involved - something a lot of younger, inexperiernced wingers struggle to do (Morahan still can't do it).

Reminds me a bit of Digby a few years back way. I am hopeful that Betham can iron out his issues and be used as an Ioane-style blind side winger (although Betham seems to play more on the right) to great effect. We need some more of those guys who are quality, too - NZ rugby just seems to churn them out.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I've got mixed feelings about Beale.

I'm hoping he has to prove his place in the side. Betham-Folau-Crawford is a strong and varied back three. They all performed well. Foley is surely untouchable at 10 for now.

according to KB (Kurtley Beale) in the papers he hopes to be the number one 10

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I am not sold on Beale. He has great natural talent there is not doubt. For me however it is about execution. At 15 he drops too many high balls, and has a very limited kicking game with inaccuracy a big feature. At 10 he is blighted by significant periods of individualistic play, crabbing across field closing up the space of his outside backs and a vast number of low percentage chip kicks and grubbers.

If he has been signed as depth cover for 15 and 10, good stuff. As a starter in either position - meh.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Good thing Cheika is the coach then. He seems to get the most out of players

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Status
Not open for further replies.