• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
There is usually a reason behind an avatar change, frequently rather cryptic, but sometimes it is sledgehammer obvious.

Usually reflecting some brash overconfidence, followed by a period of repentance, then moving on to the next "shiny object".

Reactions: TSR

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Huge news for Tahs and Wobs.....a superstar is born....again. Hey LG you shooed me from the Folau page to here because of all the discussion......bit like being told the wrong pub in the wrong party dress. ....................... At the moment I'm at Sandy hollow pub in dinner suit waiting to go to a toga party at the White horse.......

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
So the 2014 squad is almost finalised and the mass clean out for 2014 predicted by many when Cheika took over doesn't seem to have come to fruition.

Natural attrition, with players seeking opportunities overseas, seems to have driven the need for the new signings.

With not too many changes to the main squad, who by and large played reasonably well this season under the new regime, things must be looking good for 2014.

How many times in the last 16 years have we had an awesome off season and early season, only to have the wheels fall off the Tah wagon in July?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
So the 2014 squad is almost finalised and the mass clean out for 2014 predicted by many when Cheika took over doesn't seem to have come to fruition.

Natural attrition, with players seeking opportunities overseas, seems to have driven the need for the new signings.

With not too many changes to the main squad, who by and large played reasonably well this season under the new regime, things must be looking good for 2014.

How many times in the last 16 years have we had an awesome off season and early season, only to have the wheels fall off the Tah wagon in July?

I don't recall many predicting a mass cleanout. More that we would see some changes that reflected the direction Cheika wants go. I would argue that we've had exactly that. Athletic wingers like Betham and Crawford have come in, for example, and some great prospects like Skelton have been unearthed. It doesn't necessarily take a huge amount to shift the balance of a team from conservative (Hickey/Foley) to aggressive (Cheika).

In part, Cheika has made his mark by not chasing veterans to fill the holes left by Barnes and Timani. He's created development opportunities and trusted that guys would step up. So far that's happened.

For next season, I'd just like to see continued, solid improvement. Making the finals would be nice, but I'd consider fighting for a berth in the final round to be the minimum benchmark for success.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Don't forget that something like 29 of the squad were up for new contracts at the end of this year, so you can see why a mass cleanout was predicted. Agree with Richo that opening up development opportunities has been the way to go rather than signing broken-down warhorses.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
For next season, I'd just like to see continued, solid improvement. Making the finals would be nice, but I'd consider fighting for a berth in the final round to be the minimum benchmark for success.

Are we really so easily satisfied, Richo, or so demoralised?

"Fighting for a berth in the final round" as a benchmark!The Waratahs are based in a major, very wealthy city where the sport of the CBD is rugby, and where the great majority of Australian professional players are developed. Given these advantages over the other Super franchises we should never be out of the finals series. Getting the team to the finals should not be an aspiration; it should be a requirement.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are we really so easily satisfied, Richo, or so demoralised?

"Fighting for a berth in the final round" as a benchmark!The Waratahs are based in a major, very wealthy city where the sport of the CBD is rugby, and where the great majority of Australian professional players are developed. Given these advantages over the other Super franchises we should never be out of the finals series. Getting the team to the finals should not be an aspiration; it should be a requirement.

I agree to a degree but after failing to make the finals for two years, targets need to be realistic.

I would say for 2014 that finishing second in the Australian conference is a pass mark. Whether that results in a finals berth is probably a secondary consideration as it is a bit less controllable.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)

It would be quicker to count the times it hasn't happened. And you only need one hand to count.

Elfster

Alex Ross (28)
In terms of development I see the 2015 season the one in which the Waratahs will be at their best. Hopefully they RWC preparations will not derail them in that year.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So, we've got all the best players. Why don't we pick them, then?
It's not that simple.
Horowitz is a good example.he trained with the squad all summer,toured with them to Argentina.
I have read that they are offering him an EPS contact.
But the Rebels are offering him a "real" contract.
Who should they sack now,to afford him a place probably a year early?

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Now... the biggest challenge...

Can Cheika change a team of champions into a champion team.

That there lies the main problem for the Tahs... always has been.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think finals are realistic next season but I worry that our two major Achilles heels of a wobbly lineout and poor goal kicking could come back to haunt us next season.

Major work is needed on both over the off season and unless this is done at best we'll be going away to SA/NZ in the preliminary finals. Beale or Foley as first choice goal kicker doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that they can get their accuracy above the minimum 85% that most champion teams have from their kickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.