• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
some us, including you I thought, were suggesting that someone without "a rugby background" is exactly what we need - albeit when the Pulveriser was being measured for his ARU blazer
I'm just pointing to some correct points she made. I don't think it's necessary for a CEO to have a background in a particular sport, sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. What I'm primarily concerned about is his performance. An outsider works best when they come in without baggage and make drastic and necessary changes which go against vested interests. Mr Allen seems to have no capacity or desire to do this for whatever reason. So his value as an outsider is diminished.

The habit of the NSWRU to appoint people without the necessary gravitas to take on the establishment is fairly obvious.

The NRL appointed an outsider to run the game and it's been a success - even though the Telegraph don't approve of his every decision.

I think with Pulver that despite being an insider, he has made some tough calls and generally is going ok. His essential weakness is that he is the ultimate insider and his rugby experience in many ways prevents him from being aware of some big issues.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well,how has Carmichael gone with the Reds?
Seems not to matter,if they have ability.

I say we actually positively want someone from outside the tent: my preference was Dimitriou because he had fought and substantially won the "most crowded winter sports market in the world" war.
For the Tahs we need a mini-dimitriou.
But we also need someone with the cojones to tell Cheika that smashing shit up and blaming the ref is not way to take a team from conceding the most penalties in the comp to premiership glory.

T

Train Without a Station

True she has made some factual errors in her article, but it's correct to point out that Jason Allen has been CEO since 2010, he's got no rugby background at all and he seems to have no idea how to market the game. She's a league journo, jumping on the bandwagon to kick rugby while we're down. But let's not forget that our decline is almost entirely self-inflicted and it's occurred during the time of Allen's leadership. My view is that the good old GPS chaps on the board are quite happy to have an ineffectual CEO as it preserves their own power bases.

My criticism of his recent comments on the SCGT is that this is pretty much the first that the supporters have heard from him in almost 4 years. He has a point about the SFS, but it's not why fans are staying away.

As an aside, those hoping for an Aus/NZ rugby championship excluding SAF teams are going to be disappointed if reports that NZRFU want SAF in are correct.

Just to clarify my previous post. The question mark was a typo and I meant to state that he is doing a shit job.

Anyway to respond, Allen hasn't caused the decline though, whilst he certainly has ridden it without any arrest since 2010. The tahs though are in a known apathetic market playing in a declining code too. It does appear to be crumbling at both ends - SS support dwindling and Wallaby support diminishing.

I just think there needs to be a little balance and acceptance that some factors (General rugby support and SCGT catering) are a little beyond his control in some ways and that whilst he needs to be doing more, no need to shit on the bloke the few times he makes an effort.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
C'mon we have all seen it.
Allen is like the sales guy that has the same 10 deals in the pipeline since he joined 3 years ago, who is 10% of his budget and runs around telling everyone the whole reason for the company not hitting their numbers is because the settlements team takes a day longer than they should to prepare docs.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
You can't put that performance on Jason Allen, shit if your looking at last nights game he has a tough gig.

I am not a coach, most posters are seeing the same frustrations and concerns - watching the brumbies game straight after, we are worlds apart

It was tongue in cheek response that giving away 100k at a game would bring in the crowds.. and I just saying that it wouldnt on that performace and he'd go broke.. and god help us if it rained..

I dont blame him for last night's that falls on the coaches and players..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
People on here tend to be very quick to judge administrators, despite having very little knowledge of what they actually do day-to-day.

I am not saying Allen is a brilliant administrator, but I will say that his most important job is to ensure the on-field success of the Waratahs, and in the recruitment of both coaches and players he has done bloody well. He can't make them catch the fucking ball, sadly.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
J

Anyway to respond, Allen hasn't caused the decline though, whilst he certainly has ridden it without any arrest since 2010. The tahs though are in a known apathetic market playing in a declining code too. It does appear to be crumbling at both ends - SS support dwindling and Wallaby support diminishing.

Perhaps, but as CEO he and the board bear the ultimate responsibility. There are things outside his control, such as the SCGT and the weather, but there are things firmly within the control of Waratahs management. Player signings, coach signings, marketing and engagement with the grass roots. Michael Cheika has been good for the Waratahs, but overall these are the things at which they have performed poorly.

The big decline in crowds starts about 2008/09 and nothing much has changed in the Sydney sporting landscape since then. Swans crowds and NRL crowds are round about the same (within the margin for error), the A league has taken off, but is mostly played in summer.

I wouldn't say that SS support is dwindling, in fact it's probably the only part of the game holding its own at the moment.

Short term the Waratahs need a winning team, playing good rugby to regain any of the lost support.

Long term, we need a CEO who can crack heads at administrative level and reform the structure of the game in this state. It's the biggest city in the biggest state in the country - the game in Australia needs NSW to be healthy. I have no particular like or dislike of Jason Allen, but in 4 years, he's made little or no impact on arresting decline, let alone regaining our former position.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I am not saying Allen is a brilliant administrator, but I will say that his most important job is to ensure the on-field success of the Waratahs, and in the recruitment of both coaches and players he has done bloody well. He can't make them catch the fucking ball, sadly.

As a backroom administrator he may well be great at running the operation and getting the books in order. If he is, I would have no objection to him staying on in that role, but as the CEO we need more than that.

T

TOCC

People on here tend to be very quick to judge administrators, despite having very little knowledge of what they actually do day-to-day.

on-field success is the key role of a professional sporting organisation yes, but the off-field success and development is only a smidgen below. Critically i think the administrators have more influence over the off-field success then they do the on-field and thus it is a measurable quality.

Coaches and players are held to accountability over their on-field performances, CEOs and administrators should thus be held responsible over the off-field success of the franchise.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I could list a dozen things that he has fucked up or where he has been deficient.
But I will give him the benefit of the doubt, and measure him on his goals when he joined.
Not only has he not achieved his goals, we have gone baxkwards in some of the areas he targeted.

T

Train Without a Station

ILTW you say that but were they his ultimate responsibility?

You may think they are personally but that can vary from organisation to organisation and your expectations may not align with those who appointed him.

Personally I'd argue on field success is only important to ensure support. Beyond that off field success is the barometer of success.

The glory days of NSW rugby are at least a decade past and to measure him against that would be unfair.

Though I agree, they have gone backwards in almost all facets and the good decisions and moves seem to be rarities.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Who appointed a marketing guru from the UK with no local contacts, whose first action was to appoint local consultants to do his job for him?
Who negotiated, documented and executed dodgy contracts that fudged the salary cap. An unkind view is that those actions might be considered fraudulent.
How many other CEOs in any code try to keep attendance figures a secret?

Reactions: BPC

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
C'mon we have all seen it.
Allen is like the sales guy that has the same 10 deals in the pipeline since he joined 3 years ago, who is 10% of his budget and runs around telling everyone the whole reason for the company not hitting their numbers is because the settlements team makes a day longer than they should to prepare docs.

Gold.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There was no doubting Giteau's passion at the Brumbies in 2011 either - doesn't mean it works for the team. In fact, Beale seems to have a touch of the Gits of 2011 - e.g. crabbing sideways, trying to do too much himself, etc

A lack of passion isn't working for the Tahs. Dave Dennis epitomises the current state of the Tahs. He just does not seem to care enough.

Beale is playing out of position.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just read the email from the Jason Allen, the Tahs CEO.....

Cry me a river MR Allen......!!!!!

The Tahs reside in a city of >5 million people and play in Allianz Stadium (SFS) which would be the envy of most major clubs anywhere in the World.

Spare some thought for Mark Sinderberry of the Force which plays in nib stadium which has the worst facilities of the Aussie franchises.
There is ZERO dedicated car parking (apart from a grassed area for VIPs) with the majority of people taking public transport.
Yet Mark has made significant improvements for patrons this year.
For the past 2 games nib attendance has averaged the same as the Tahs.

A bit of creative marketing is obviously required as well some consistent performance from the Wallabies-packed Tahs squad.
This squad has a total remuneration package >$2 million/year more than is available to the Force.

I go to nib for the rugby.

My experience in rugby stadiums all over the world is that the beer is of poor standard, the food is generally rubbish and expensive - I'd rather eat before or after the game, and they all need more toilets!!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
How the Tahs' facilities compare to the Force's is somewhat irrelevant, I would have thought.
Allen's purview is to do the best for the Tahs (which he probably isn't) so he is quite right to get up the SCGT about the product delivered by Allianz to one of its customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.