• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Cross field kicks and more chips need to be utilised by the Tahs in games like the Brumbies and Sharks game.

If the inside backs aren't getting anywhere because they're being shut down to quickly by a defence that really pushes up fast then they need to try and exploit the space around and behind them.

Against the Brumbies we did a couple of chips which were successful and then put it away.

Against the Sharks we didn't really try it much at all.

It's something that could possibly be useful against the Stormers because they're likely to try a fairly similar thing in defence.

When our forward pack is on top and making metres, there's probably not much we have to worry about. With quality ball our backs will carve up most teams.

It's adjusting to teams that can get a little on top of our forwards or achieve parity that we need to work on.

Putting some doubt in the opposition through chip kicks such that they hang back a little or fear a cross field kick so they can't play that umbrella defensive style as much seems like the way to go.

If we can earn that little bit of extra space for Foley and Beale, we can start creating more opportunities against teams such as the Sharks and Brumbies.
Please, no chips from Beale. They are diabolical.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
If Izzy is good to go I'd be reasonably confident against the Force, going to to some game the turnaround in the Force since we smacked them in the first game has been very impressive.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gotta say from what I saw the Reds - who are looking a bit poo - nearly beat these guys. You could call it an away game for the Face but they have a fuckload of ex-QLDers who have a lot to prove in 'vegas.

So I'd like to think we should slap them, even with the travel factor.

What is the general consensus for the Bulls' crowd a week later? Its a Saffer side so don't reckon we'll be more than 15K unfortunately, and Easter weekend is always unpredictable as people are either on holiday or might come into town for the game.

Did we get a final figure for the Rebels game?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Gotta say from what I saw the Reds - who are looking a bit poo - nearly beat these guys. You could call it an away game for the Face but they have a fuckload of ex-QLDers who have a lot to prove in 'vegas.

So I'd like to think we should slap them, even with the travel factor.

What is the general consensus for the Bulls' crowd a week later? Its a Saffer side so don't reckon we'll be more than 15K unfortunately, and Easter weekend is always unpredictable as people are either on holiday or might come into town for the game.

Did we get a final figure for the Rebels game?

Yeah, I think the heightened level of physicality the Tahs can bring will make things more difficult for the Force to maintain their momentum. You have to take into account that while they have won 4 on the trot none of their opponents are all that physical.

Even the Chiefs don't seem to be able to physically dominate other packs around the park. The Tahs can and have against both the Force and other Aussie opponents with the exception of the Brumbies who I think if we didn't have a bye the week before could have ended differently.

You also have to take into account the Tahs have one of the most dangerous backlines in the comp and if the pack established dominance the Force will struggle to contain them.

I think it will be a question of whether they continue their expansive play or go into their shell when a team begins to put big shots on them on a consistent basis. If they run then Tahs by 10 in a highly entertaininf game. If they withdraw, then Tahs by more than 20.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Chiefs are mostly speed and great hands. Hard working forward pack who cover a lot of ground, but attrition is not their thing. Take it to them up the guts like the Reds did a couple of years ago in Brisbane (and again in Hamilton last year) and they have problems.

Part of me fears that this is rugby for the next 18 months leading into RWC2015 - going back to big packs to grind down opponents. We know for a fact that Test Rugby has less opportunities to score tries, so I hope we don't end up with a kickfest in a damp UK Autumn...

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)

There are a bunch of us that bought 8 game Platinum memberships this year and have been to all games. Everyone of us is away at Easter. I really want to be there to support them, but it is just unfortunate timing. I can't see more than 15K owing to the date.

Looking forward to the next match though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am away at Easter as well. I've found friends to take my tickets for that week though.

It always frustrates me that they seem to get a home game most Easter weekends.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't worry, I am pretty sure that the Tahs management will find a way to include all season ticket holders who don't show up to games in the official crowd attendance figures.

Reactions: BPC

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Then there are the members that went that thought it was so good they'd have turned up twice if they could.

Don't forget the ex-members and those members of the general public (including tourists) who walked past a Waratahs supporter once.

So yeah, about 15K

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
They will have wanted to turn up twice so one of their clones could spend most of the match in the Beer Queue, while the other could watch the game.

Given that the Caterers will probably be paying penalty rates for their staff over the Easter weekend, there may be reluctance by them to properly staff the outlets (again).

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)

I'll be there. Making up the numbers, :D

Status
Not open for further replies.