• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Michael Cheika to face Judicial Hearing

SANZAR has completed an investigation into the alleged conduct of Waratahs' head coach Michael Cheika during the Sharks v Waratahs match played at Growthpoint KINGS PARK on 29 March 2014.
SANZAR has referred the matter for a hearing in accordance with SANZAR's Disciplinary Rules.
The matter will be heard by SANZAR Judicial Officer Nigel Hampton QC (Quade Cooper) via teleconference on Wednesday 16 April 2014: 5:30pm (AEST), 7:30pm (NZST), 9:30am (SAST).
SANZAR will be making no further comment until this process has been completed.

from the SMH

If the misconduct case against Waratahs coach Michael Cheika does not have the same outcome as Football Federation Australia's case against Brendon Santalab it could turn into a major headache for SANZAR.
The racial abuse charge against the Wanderers striker was dropped by the FFA's disciplinary committee on Thursday due to insufficient evidence that Santalab abused Sydney FC's Ali Abbas.
The FFA cited a lack of witnesses and evidence and the potential that his comments might have been misconstrued due to the noise at Allianz Stadium during the March 8 derby match.
SANZAR will not clarify publicly what charge Cheika faces. But on the face of it, the complaint made by South African broadcaster Super Sport that the NSW coach verbally threatened their camera operator, has similar hurdles to clear.
Cheika does not deny telling the camera operator to stop filming him, or to move away, when he left the coaches' box and went down to the sideline after Dave Dennis was sin-binned in the 47th minute of their loss to the Sharks.
But Fairfax Media understands there is still no audio of the threat Cheika is alleged to have made, and the hostile environs of Durban's Kings Park Stadium would, presumably, easily match the atmosphere at Allianz Stadium in March.
It is further understood that Cheika's version of events will be backed up by two members of the Waratahs coaching and athletic development staff, Nathan Grey and Haydn Masters, who were standing next to him at the time.
Super Sport have provided a number of statements as part of their submissions to SANZAR, who would not confirm whether the camera operator would be providing testimony.
Unfortunately for Cheika, his reputation for hot-headedness precedes him - not that that should prejudice the matter before SANZAR.
The Durban incident occurred two weeks after he shoved open a glass door at Canberra Stadium, breaking it.
As coach of Stade Francais in 2011, he was fined $14,700 for abusing match officials during the side's loss to Harlequins in the Amlin Cup final.
And before cutting a more circumspect figure in post-match media conferences this year, he walked a fine line in his criticism of match officiating - although he was never sanctioned.
Cheika is wisely keeping his own counsel on the merits of next week's hearing. But his feelings about how the game treats people who criticise it may be best summed up by comments he made to Fairfax Media in May last year.
''My conscience on those things is very, very clear,'' he said. ''I'm truthful about matters, and if that rubs people up the wrong way, if the truth is that disappointing or shouldn't be said, then I'll get in trouble.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/waratahs-coach-michael-cheika-could-benefit-from-pressurecooker-conditions-20140410-zqt6w.html#ixzz2yXAr7Y00

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
SANZAR jUDICIARY = Fu...g joke ...why are we part of this S..? Sorry to get on the high horse but why are the only people ever pinged. NZ or Aussies in SA?? Abusing a cameraman???. what the f... has that got to do with the game....shove a camera in my face at the wrong time and you'll be taking photos of the anticlockwise swirl....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
SANZAR jUDICIARY = Fu.g joke .why are we part of this S..? Sorry to get on the high horse but why are the only people ever pinged. NZ or Aussies in SA?? Abusing a cameraman???. what the f. has that got to do with the game..shove a camera in my face at the wrong time and you'll be taking photos of the anticlockwise swirl..

The harshest suspension this season was handed to a New Zealander by a New Zealand QC (Quade Cooper) for a game in NZ.

I don't think there's much evidence to support your rant.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
The harshest suspension this season was handed to a New Zealander by a New Zealand QC (Quade Cooper) for a game in NZ.

ok I've calmed down now but I would like to know the ratio of SA suspensions in Aust. To Aust suspensions in SA.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
ok I've calmed down now but I would like to know the ratio of SA suspensions in Aust. To Aust suspensions in SA.

This year, Rob Horne is the only player to be suspended in South Africa.

No South African players have been suspended, two New Zealanders (Kane Hames and Kurt Baker), and three Australians (or playing for an Australian team) Ben McCalman, Alby Mathewson and Rob Horne.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)

what the Kiwis do to each other in NZ is not of that much interest to me btw.......just too BAAAAAed in that case

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
This year, Rob Horne is the only player to be suspended in South Africa.

No South African players have been suspended, two New Zealanders (Kane Hames and Kurt Baker), and three Australians (or playing for an Australian team) Ben McCalman, Alby Mathewson and Rob Horne.
so 5 non SAs this year to nil.....and in previous years?...you are catching my drift?....how many cited in SA matches to outside of SA.?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
From my recollections, games in SA tended to get lower number of citings.

I always thought that stuff that would normally get cited in Aus / NZ often was let go in SA, tip tackles aside (which they are very tough on).

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
From my recollections, games in SA tended to get lower number of citings.

I always thought that stuff that would normally get cited in Aus / NZ often was let go in SA, tip tackles aside (which they are very tough on).
sorry had to laugh at your Avatar and the subject we are talking about

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
very good scaraby...

'shove a camera in my face at the wrong time and you'll be taking photos of the anticlockwise swirl..'

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The flip side of having ARU top ups I guess, they get a say in any fitness concerns given they're picking up the tab as well. Tahs staff will be a bit miffed that their ability to diagnose and treat injuries is being called into question

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Id pay good money to see Chieks reaction when he found out

Certainly like to be a fly on the wall... but not on a glass door....

The flip side of having ARU top ups I guess, they get a say in any fitness concerns given they're picking up the tab as well. Tahs staff will be a bit miffed that their ability to diagnose and treat injuries is being called into question

That's the bit that would shit me. Its kind of a double-edged sword, particularly with things like concussion. A player - particularly when match fees are on the line - will not be keen to miss games, but they need to think beyond the age of 35 when the head knocks will add up.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Wow - that could be a game changer.

It's not just the absence of Izzy and the one unnecessary defender he attracts but also the erosion of the effect of their preparation.

Still, I suppose that it will be a straight swap with Lance who would much rather be playing at 12 and is why he came to the Tahs in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.