• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Pretty sure from the rumor mill that the head coach hunt is down to one. Gaffney will be director of rugby unless negotiations stall in which case he will be head coach next year.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Pretty sure from the rumor mill that the head coach hunt is down to one. Gaffney will be director of rugby unless negotiations stall in which case he will be head coach next year.

This is very, very disappointing. Gaffney didn't succeed as a head coach at Munster. As soon as he leaves, Munster win the HEC under a different coach.

A reputed attack genius, Munster, Saracens attack didnt move forward, Leinster moved backwards and Ireland sideways under his tutelage.

He has a very smart and capable rugby mind but he is not a head Coach or Dir of Rugby. I don't think he identifies the right talent or galvanizes a team or leads it to win. He is an exceptionally good and decent individual who will not rock the boat, but the boat needs to be sunk and a new one re-launched. Personally, I really hope Cheika remains in the mix (can you speak to that); he'll detonate whomever/whatever he has to to shape on and off-field operations just the way he wants them

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Just read on the Sydney Uni page that Jono Jenkins is going overseas, does anyone know where?

Disappointed but not surprised. Struggling to find a franchise that will give him a decent shot, now behind Pocock, Gill and Hooper who are all young and likely to be around for years, I guess it had to be. I think he will go very well in Europe if that's where he's going. In some ways he might be following in the footsteps of Dan Parks - unloved here but will find his niche over there.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Disappointed but not surprised. Struggling to find a franchise that will give him a decent shot, now behind Pocock, Gill and Hooper who are all young and likely to be around for years, I guess it had to be. I think he will go very well in Europe if that's where he's going. In some ways he might be following in the footsteps of Dan Parks - unloved here but will find his niche over there.
How old is he?
Havent seen a lot of him but what i have seen him he seems to have fantastic acceleration for a backrower.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is very, very disappointing. Gaffney didn't succeed as a head coach at Munster. As soon as he leaves, Munster win the HEC under a different coach.

A reputed attack genius, Munster, Saracens attack didnt move forward, Leinster moved backwards and Ireland sideways under his tutelage.

He has a very smart and capable rugby mind but he is not a head Coach or Dir of Rugby. I don't think he identifies the right talent or galvanizes a team or leads it to win. He is an exceptionally good and decent individual who will not rock the boat, but the boat needs to be sunk and a new one re-launched. Personally, I really hope Cheika remains in the mix (can you speak to that); he'll detonate whomever/whatever he has to to shape on and off-field operations just the way he wants them
Watching a bit of Gaffney on the Rugby Club he did not strike me as an alpha male: #1 characteristic for any professional coach.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is enthused too strong a word to describe my reaction to the call to arms from Interim Coach Gaffney? Very probably.

But when other members see it as "most honest and impassioned" and can detect "real passion" I'll have to try to get with the program, and dig out my plastic Waratahs eye-poking flag thingy and give it a bit of a shake while I focus on the nub of Interim Coach's message:

"Last week, we had a meeting with the team.
"The players identified some issues off field and some issues on the field ...
"We've appointed Pat McCutcheon as our club captain and it's great to see all the players really lining up behind him.
"No-one here is sitting on their hands.
"Everyone is moving on doing whatever they have to do.
"Next year we'll see a number of new faces in the squad.
"Off the field we've still got plenty of room to improve too.
"We're moving forward and we're doing it with everyone behind us, we want you to be behind us too."

Is Churchillian too strong a word to describe the call to arms from Interim Coach Gaffney? Very probably.

Be that as it may, even while re-reading it I think I detected a mild stirring in the loins. Of course it could be just a dodgy bladder or flatulence.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Is enthused too strong a word to describe my reaction to the call to arms from Interim Coach Gaffney? Very probably.

But when other members see it as "most honest and impassioned" and can detect "real passion" I'll have to try to get with the program, and dig out my plastic Waratahs eye-poking flag thingy and give it a bit of a shake while I focus on the nub of Interim Coach's message:

"The players identified some issues off field and some issues on the field .
"We've appointed Pat McCutcheon as our club captain and it's great to see all the players really lining up behind him.
"We're moving forward and we're doing it with everyone behind us, we want you to be behind us too."

Is Churchillian too strong a word to describe the call to arms from Interim Coach Gaffney? Very probably.

Be that as it may, even while re-reading it I think I detected a mild stirring in the loins. Of course it could be just a dodgy bladder or flatulence.

As one who has become accustomed to every Waratah announcement being at the level of major natural disaster, having an announcement that wasn't one is very likely to cause the heart to flutter a little. Once we get a new coach, whoever that is, then the real work of winning back the hearts and minds of NSW really begins. Until then, we supporters remain on life support.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

"The players identified some issues off field and some issues on the field .

Is flatulence contagious?
This reminds me of the ALP's slogan at the last election ("moving forward"): that does not augur well, irrespective of your view of the political parties, if we take the opinion polls as the competition ladder. By my reckoning if this similarity is repeated across the board it will take us 4 years to get back to where we were.
I'm wary of the prospects of leaders when their followers line up behind them: rhymes with lambs to the cannon fodder.
Finally, "doing whatever they have to do" is code for I have no idea what they're doing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe I am too cynical, but that looks to me that market research gave them a list of one liners to address.
Words are cheap.

Weren't you one of the people calling for answers and for the Waratahs to engage their fans?

What were you expecting? Heads on stakes in the Moore Park Gold Member Carpark?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Weren't you one of the people calling for answers and for the Waratahs to engage their fans?

Even that wouldn't be engaging the fans, though. That's just placating the members. When will the Waratahs learn that heads on the pikes need to go on Moore Park Rd and out in the community?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

no heads on stakes,but no promotions from amongst the failed coaching staff either.
What business promotes a failed sales rep to director of sales?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Even that wouldn't be engaging the fans, though. That's just placating the members. When will the Waratahs learn that heads on the pikes need to go on Moore Park Rd and out in the community?

As Club Captain, Pat McCutcheon could organise various players to take a head on a stake round to primary schools for show and tell.

It would be a good way to teach kids the importance of living up to the success demanded in the harbour city.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"We're moving forward and we're doing it with everyone behind us, we want you to be behind us too." Interim Coach Gaffney

Just a word of advice, Interim Coach, from someone who's been watching the machinations at the 'Tahs for longer than I care to remember. If I were an Interim Coach there I wouldn't be letting anyone get behind me, let alone encouraging them. Keep the bastards out in front of you at all times. That way you've got a chance of seeing the glint of the knife blades when they come for you.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
"We're moving forward and we're doing it with everyone behind us, we want you to be behind us too." Interim Coach Gaffney

Just a word of advice, Interim Coach, from someone who's been watching the machinations at the 'Tahs for longer than I care to remember. If I were an Interim Coach there I wouldn't be letting anyone get behind me, let alone encouraging them. Keep the bastards out in front of you at all times. That way you've got a chance of seeing the glint of the knife blades when they come for you.

Et tu, Brute?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So the 2013 memberships list our home games as Blues, Chiefs, Stormers and Cheetahs (as well as the four Aussie teams).

Considering we didn't play the Lions in 2012, that would mean we are playing them in South Africa in 2013.

As we played the Highlanders away in 2012 and haven't got them at home in 2013 they must be the NZ team we don't play at all (pity it isn't the Crusaders).

That must mean that we either don't play the Sharks or the Bulls during 2013. Certainly a better outcome than not playing the Lions at all.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
With those home games they'd be smart to move the Cheetahs game to Newcastle as they'll struggle to get any more than 15000 to the SFS and with the interest generated by the Wallaby test v Scotland this year may get 25000 plus to the game up there. But we are talking Waratah's management so intellignece is not a prerequisite it would appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.