• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
When you look at Brian smiths record, I would prefer a local coah to get the job.

Wayne smith apparently recommitted to the NZRU yesterday, so we can scratch him.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

Yep, look at what hickey accomplished last year with a mountain of injuries. The belief, poise and heart the team showed to make the finals was remarkable. Yet he gets no recognition for it. He did a pretty remarkable job during hostile. It wasn't always pretty but he knew how to get his side up for games.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hickeys 63% win rate sits pretty nicely in the scheme of things with only McQueen beating him. Although McQueen coached about half the games Hickey did. Hickey is the most successful waratahs coach in terms of games won.

Oh, I wasn't disputing his uh, "successful" Waratahs' record..........

Rather that the notion that he would be deemed a great coach with that record with other teams.........

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Oh, I wasn't disputing his uh, "successful" Waratahs' record....

Rather that the notion that he would be deemed a great coach with that record with other teams...

It comes down to perception. There a quite a few coaches that people get wet over that only have the reputation due to the fact the teams they took over hadnt had success in a long time. If the Tahs have three or four seasons in a row like 2012, then a coach coming in and getting a success rate like hikeys would make him wallaby material.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
It comes down to perception. There a quite a few coaches that people get wet over that only have the reputation due to the fact the teams they took over hadnt had success in a long time. If the Tahs have three or four seasons in a row like 2012, then a coach coming in and getting a success rate like hikeys would make him wallaby material.
If the 'tahs have 3 or 4 seasons like 2012 in a row then there won't be a 'tahs team. Not witho0ut a complete ARU takeover. By about the third season Shute Shield crowd numbers would be challenging them.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The manner of play under Hickey was as I have posted before , just down right dire. It was rubbish and closely resembles how the Wallabies played in the RWC and against Wales earlier this year. It is a tournament style without doubt, one which will minimize scoring opportunities for the opposition for the majority of adversaries. Then along comes the few games a year that the team is a bit flat or the opposition is ready to play well above the usual and the Tahs/Wallabies lose. If the two instances combine we get a humiliation such as the Cheetahs last year at the SFS (Ireland, Samoa, Scotland).

Yes Hickey produce some admirable statistics, but all teams should aim for more than the 66% win/loss but perhaps play with a verve and style that will attract fans and players alike and seek to truly win the competition. Hickey's side never really threatened to take the title and all the top sides knew that come the pointy end the Tah % Rugby would fall. There have only been three really brilliant % Rugby sides in the professional era IMO, England '02-'03, SA I think about '06-'07 and the Bulls at the same time. Those sides were totally complete Rugby sides designed and structured totally for that type of play and coached with precision to execute it. The Tahs (and the Wallabies) fail to come up to the mark in terms of players, execution and coaching to really dominate better sides with such a game plan.

Reactions: BPC

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
After the rugby club and Phil Kearns declaration that he is not and never has been on the selection committee for the new Tahs coach are those who questioned his morals, ethics and loyalties happy to apologize here or should we be starting a separate thread for it?

WJ - I would apologize if I thought I had posted anything requiring such action. The Tahs have been such a cesspit of politics for so long the appearance of acting in an ethical manner is as important as the actuality. I have stated this about a few ethical dilemas that have arisen for a few other Rugby figures. This has not been achieved, and I would suggest that the fact that this statement has taken so long after the initial issue (advisory role however brief it was and whatever the structure) implies much to the disenfranchised and cynical who will no longer accept any statement from Tahland on face value.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Gnostic - so your saying if someone says something with zero basis or reality, that the onus is on the Tahs or Kearns to point this out?

Ethically, that seems somewhat questionable. Guilty until proven otherwise.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tahs1.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^ This is probably the most honest and impassioned thing I've read out of the Waratahs in my time as a member.

I really like it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Talk is cheap, although this is a good start.

I think it was cheapened by the reference to the Membership packages at the end. It makes me think that this is simply part of a marketing campaign designed to get punters to open up our wallets.

I would have preferred it a bit more if it didn't have that commercial wrap up at the end.

Looking forward to Tahs 13 delivering.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Talk is cheap, although this is a good start.

I think it was cheapened by the reference to the Membership packages at the end. It makes me think that this is simply part of a marketing campaign designed to get punters to open up our wallets.

I would have preferred it a bit more if it didn't have that commercial wrap up at the end.

Looking forward to Tahs 13 delivering.

I think it was more likely that marketing wanted that inserted at the end. It's pretty peripheral to the rest of the message.

I agree with BH. Real passion. I still don't think Gaffney is the right choice as head coach, or even an assistant, but this does suggest to me that he has a real drive and could make a positive contribution to the organisation going forward.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Yeah, could have sent this out before the launch of the 2013 season tickets. Now it seems like part of the marketing for season tickets.

But it's a good start and hope this translates into results. Much better than some of the efforts from the Media Unit. At the rate it's going, they may have to remove the "Interim" for Riff's title.

Status
Not open for further replies.