• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree, but if you say that, then why such patience with Tilse, who's about to enter his 9TH year with the Waratahs?

Tilse has hung around which has been a good thing.

We've had a string of good front rowers with Robinson, Baxter, Kepu and now Ryan.

When the player is barely likely to get on the field, it's probably hard to attract the brightest young talent going around. At least Tilse is serviceable and is decent enough when required.

Alternatively we could have had a promising young player, developed them but had them not really been ready for Super Rugby when required and then invariably lost them to another franchise when they started coming good because they'd still be fourth choice at the Tahs.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Alternatively we could have had a promising young player, developed them but had them not really been ready for Super Rugby when required and then invariably lost them to another franchise when they started coming good because they'd still be fourth choice at the Tahs.

This is a completely accurate description of what happened with Palmer.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tilse isn't crap, he is a bloody good LHP.

In the Shute Shield finals thread somewhat biasedly Topo (uni maven) gave him MOM

T

tranquility

This bloke is going to get you guys firing and the prospect of that shits me to tears. Im very glad he is back in Australia however, he is a very valuable commodity.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
The latest email from the Tahs.

Love the photo that came with it. You can certainly tell who's the boss.

Cheika-Header.jpg

From the Locker Room
Issue 3 with Michael Cheika, Head Coach

I’m really looking forward to being part of a new era in NSW rugby. Being a Randwick boy, I know that your expectations of your team are high but I have the same expectations of myself. There are no guarantees in life but what I can say is that I will give all the passion and professionalism I have to make this team one everyone will be proud of.

And I won’t talk about wanting to win in three years or in five years. As a competitive player in a contact sport, you don’t go into a tournament and not want to win. To win this title I believe you need the capacity to put some fear in the other teams through your attack. That’s a really important part of my philosophy as a coach. The way I’ve been brought up, my heritage, comes from attacking rugby. You can’t have a winning philosophy without an attacking one, you don’t have to make a choice between style and substance.

If we can make you proud of what we’re doing, proud of the footy we’re playing, then that means that we’re playing a good style. But we have to earn that right. Winning is the end game, the real work is in developing our skills, being able to play the type of game that will allow us to be competitive and possibly to win.

From an on-field perspective, I see a lot of potential in the squad that just hasn’t been realised. My duty is to maximise that, get an identity and style about the team and then take it forward. But we’ve got to earn that right. We’ve got to work hard and we’ve got to show in what we do off the field and in what we do on it, that that’s what we really want. If as a team and an organisation we do that then people will see that and respect that and they will be proud of that. We need to get back to inspiring our supporters. If we get that ethos and that connection with our fans, it helps the team too. It’s pretty hard not to be inspired when 20,000 supporters are chanting your name and cheering you on. That kind of passion can really lift the team and its performance day to day.

Although this is my home state, my decision wasn’t inspired by where I want to live. I would be very proud to win a championship with this team. I also want to build something not just in the short term but also in the long term, maybe someday in 10 years’ time I can sit in the stand at a game and say I was a part of that.

Part of that long term visions is to grow our talent as best we can from within. There are over 60 guys from NSW playing in other provincial teams. There are a lot of players with a lot of talent from this state, we’ve got to maximise that. We won’t ever rule out a marquee player if we think that will add to our squad, compliment what we’ve got, but our core principle is about developing our players from within our state, through our country, club and school network.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Fom the Tahs Media Unit

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HSBC Waratahs to host Crusaders in pre-season trial

A trial match between the HSBC Waratahs and the Crusaders at Allianz Stadium will give NSW fans the first glimpse of a new-look HSBC Waratahs outfit, under head coach Michael Cheika.

With both sides set to field teams star-studded with Wallabies and All Blacks, the match at Sydney’s Allianz Stadium will be a big bonus for HSBC Waratahs members, who are entitled to free admission to the Valentine’s Day floodlit clash.

Boasting seven titles, the Crusaders are the most successful team in Super Rugby history and boast some of the biggest names in world rugby including Richie McCaw, Dan Carter, Robbie Fruean, Israel Dagg and Kieran Reid.

To accommodate the incoming The British & Irish Lions Tour, the Australian teams are the only ones in action in the first round of the new Super Rugby season. But with the HSBC Waratahs given a bye in round one, the trial game will give both sides a cracking opener to the Super Rugby action, which kicks the following night with the other four Australian teams in action.

The last encounter between the HSBC Waratahs and Crusaders was an April afternoon thriller, boasting seven tries and witnessed by over 30,000 fans and families at Allianz Stadium. Despite turning in their most impressive display of last season, the home side fell four points of a physical and ruthless Crusaders side, whose 37 point-haul included a double from unstoppable man of the match centre Robbie Fruean.

Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder says matches between the teams are always closely fought encounters.
"We love a match-up with the Waratahs so we are excited to have confirmed this pre-season game,” said Blackadder.

“These teams seem to bring out the best in each other when they meet so it promises to be not only a great preparation for the players, but a highly entertaining game for fans.”

After kicking off the new season with two away trial matches against the Rebels in Hobart (Saturday February 2) and New Zealand opposition the following weekend, the first chance for NSW fans to see their team in action at home comes when they take on the Crusaders on Thursday, February 14 (7.30pm).

For new HSBC Waratahs head coach Michael Cheika the trial matches are the first chance to translate the hard work in training onto the field.

“Our trial matches, particularly the home match against the Crusaders, give us the ideal chance to put into practice the new style that we will be looking to bring to our game.

As well as the chance to see some of the Super Rugby opposition live for the first time, the trials are a chance to learn more about the players within his squad. “How they handle pressure, the opposition, how they react to certain situations - these are all game-related things that you can’t simulate in training,” he said.

As well as the Crusaders match, eight home matches and June’s highly anticipated Tour match against the British & Irish Lions mean HSBC Waratahs fans can watch their team in action in 10 home matches against some of the best opposition in world rugby, including reigning Super Rugby champions the Chiefs and 2012 South African conference winners the Stormers.

The HSBC Waratahs’ Super Rugby season gets under way the following week against arch rivals the Queensland Reds in enemy territory (Saturday February 23), before they host the Rebels at Allianz Stadium a week later.

Following the successful return of afternoon footy in 2012, Allianz Stadium welcomes twoSunday afternoon kick offs next year, with back to backfamily-friendly arvo clashes against the Blues and Force in March.

Round five sees the HSBC Waratahs host South African outfit the Cheetahs, whilst the Stormers will be the home team’s target in round 13.

Completing the schedule are ANZ Stadium blockbuster local derbies against the Brumbies in round 14 and the Reds to wrap up the season in round 21. The new year will also see the HSBC Waratahs play a new side, with South African newcomers the Kings hosting NSW on Saturday May 4 at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth.

Kicking off on February 15 and culminating 125 matches later with the Super Rugby Final on August 3, Waratahs Rugby CEO Jason Allen believes the season will be a massively exciting one for rugby fans across NSW.

“In 2013,NSW rugby fans will get the best of both worlds – a Super Rugby competition that continues to deliver exciting rugby played by some of the best teams in the southern hemisphere, and a tour by the British & Irish Lions, the very best of the northern hemisphere, that has been 12 years in the making.”

The Super Rugby Finals Series will take place from Friday, 19 July, with the Super Rugby Qualifiers scheduled for that weekend – while the Super Rugby Semi-Finals will take place on 26-27 July, with the Super Rugby Final to be played on Saturday, 3 August.

With HSBC Waratahs members admitted free to all home trial matches, the benefits of becoming a member are more attractive than ever. Supporters choosing one of the eight game packages will get nine matches for the price of eight, whilst fans opting for the new 6 Game Membership covering just the Allianz Stadium home matches, will get seven chances to see their team in action at no extra cost.

Other packages include a 2 Game Membership, perfect for families and groups looking to make the most of afternoon footy or the two blockbuster games at ANZ Stadium and enjoy free entry to the Crusaders match, and the un-ticketed Supporter Membership, suitable for those that can’t attend games or already have tickets through an Allianz or ANZ Stadium membership.

Ticketed membership packages start at $38 for a 2 Game adult general admission package. New for 2013, 6 Game general admission adult packages are available for just $102 and 8 Game packages start at just $130 for adults. Premium 9 Game memberships, which include the same seat to the British & Irish Lions Tour match and the Crusaders trial, are available from $150.

Designed for fans unable to attend to attend matches and stadium members who already have tickets, the un-ticketed Supporter Membership costs $40 and also includes a new pre-match coach SMS for all home.

A full range of membership packages, including pricing and benefits, is available online now at
www.waratahs.com.au/membership or by contacting the membership team on 1300 733 899 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm) or waratahs@rugby.com.au.

HSBC Waratahs 2013
Kick Off
Trial matches
Saturday 2 February
Rebels
North Hobart Oval, Hobart
TBC​
Saturday 9 February
TBC
TBC
TBC​
Thursday 14 February
Crusaders
Allianz Stadium

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
^^^
Awesome. When the Tahs play the Sydney Trial game, I'll be in Hobart.
When they play the Hobart trial game, I'll be in Sydney :mad:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Tilse isn't crap, he is a bloody good LHP.

In the Shute Shield finals thread somewhat biasedly Topo (uni maven) gave him MOM

The whole Corporation front-row was comprehensively trashed by the Mighty Woods in last season's GF. And we did 'em over a couple of times this year, too, although I cannot remember whether Tilse was playing or not. Then again, I cannot remember Tilse ever playing for anybody.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The whole Corporation front-row was comprehensively trashed by the Mighty Woods in last season's GF. And we did 'em over a couple of times this year, too, although I cannot remember whether Tilse was playing or not. Then again, I cannot remember Tilse ever playing for anybody.

Whenever Tilse has started or came on at LHP for the Tahs he has looked pretty good, but he is more a Wayne Crockett LHP than a Woodcock. At S15 level he is more than adequate.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Whenever Tilse has started or came on at LHP for the Tahs he has looked pretty , but he is more a Wayne Crockett LHP than a Woodcock. At S15 level he is more than adequate.

Well he is a rather dashing character, but I hardly think that's relevant FP...

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree, but if you say that, then why such patience with Tilse, who's about to enter his 9TH year with the Waratahs?

IMO, many tight 5 players will not be ready until their mid 20s but most will go and get a job before then. Therefore more pateince is required as I think it is more of a long term plan. For mine, it also talks to our lack of depth for front rowers across the franchises. I'm not sure that any team can afford to just let them go.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think there is quite a lot of depth amongst front rowers.

I just think the most talented youngsters will be snapped up elsewhere if they are back in the queue at their original province.

The timing for Dan Palmer at the Tahs was bad so he moved on.

The timing for Benn Robinson, Sekope Kepu and Paddy Ryan was pretty good at the Tahs and we now have strong prop stocks.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
why is it good for Aus rugby - do you think he will develop more by playing at this level? (I know nothing of many things including the relative competitiveness of the various french comps).

I was trying to be nice. IMO I don't believe Jenkins was up to Super standard, so by any franchise not signing him and wasting a contract on someone just coz he's from Uni, will allow Australian rugby to develop and foster someone else who could be. In other words, he didnt work, move forward, give another bloke a crack

Status
Not open for further replies.