• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Cheika favourite to be named NSW coach

DateSeptember 18, 2012
Michael Cheika is expected to be announced as the new head coach of Super Rugby side the NSW Waratahs on Tuesday morning.
The Waratahs have called a press conference to announce the successor to Michael Foley who quit the struggling outfit in July to take up a three-year deal with the Western Force.
Cheika, who has experience with Irish province Leinster and French club Stade Francais, is the favourite to assume the top job at the Waratahs, with Foley's assistant coach at NSW Alan Gaffney also reported to be in the running alongside former Wallabies assistant coach Tim Lane.
The new NSW coach will be under immediate pressure to produce results for the perennial underachievers, who suffered a record eight successive losses to end their season in 11th place.

AAP

NSW Waratahs expected to announce Michael Cheika as their new coach on Tuesday morning
  • September 17, 2012 8:16PM
600666-michael-cheika.jpg

Front-runner ... Cheika is expected to be announced as the new Waratahs coach. Source: Franck Fife / AAP
Michael Cheika is expected to be announced as the new head coach of Super Rugby side the NSW Waratahs on Tuesday morning.
The Waratahs have called a press conference to announce the successor to Michael Foley, who quit the struggling outfit in July to take up a three-year deal with the Western Force.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Cheika, who has experience with Irish province Leinster and French club Stade Francais, is the favourite to assume the top job at the Waratahs, with Foley's assistant coach at NSW Alan Gaffney also reported to be in the running alongside former Wallabies assistant coach Tim Lane.
The new NSW coach will be under immediate pressure to produce results for the perennial underachievers, who suffered a record eight successive losses to end their season in 11th place.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Will they give the guy carte blanche - that seemed to be one of his terms: i think its a pretty important issue.
The answer to that came when Jason Allen told him: "The only thing I wouldn't do is sell my arse." Hardly original but at least it shows the CEO has an interest in Federal politics. And in cars chasing one another around tracks. I don't know if there is anything else.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Jono Jenkins will play for Narbonne in the French Second Division
No move to the Rebels or EPS with the Tahs

good on him. He'll do well in a second tier competition. He wasn't quite up to it at Super level. This is a good move for him and a good move for Australian rugby

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
good on him. He'll do well in a second tier competition. He wasn't quite up to it at Super level. This is a good move for him and a good move for Australian rugby
why is it good for Aus rugby - do you think he will develop more by playing at this level? (I know nothing of many things including the relative competitiveness of the various french comps).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So will Chris Whittaker be part of the package as manager?

And if the backs continue to miss fire does David Knox return?

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Cheika really must play his cards close to his chest if the papers are still saying he is "expected" to be named coach today. Previously the whole story would have been leaked well before the announcement.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
12 minutes to go.

The first pies have probably been disposed of already.

Any reliable Gaggerlanders present to report live from the scene?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
HSBC Waratahs welcomes new head coach Michael Cheika

18/09/2012

By HSBC Waratahs Media Unit
Michael Cheika has today been appointed Head Coach of the HSBC Waratahs.
His appointment follows an extensive search conducted by the Waratahs Rugby Board. Announcing the decision, Chairman Roger Davis said the panel had been unanimous in its support for the highly regarded former Randwick and Leinster coach as the best possible candidate to lead the HSBC Waratahs into a new and successful era.
Said Davis, “On behalf of the whole organisation, I’d like to welcome Michael to Waratahs Rugby. We are thrilled to have him on board.
“In addition to a wealth of domestic and international coaching experience, Michael has a proven track record as an inspirational leader and an agent of change.
“We believe he is the right man to embrace the HSBC Waratahs’ great tradition and ambition and develop a strong and successful culture that embraces all our supporters, partners and stakeholders.”
After calling time on his playing career in 1999, the highlights of Michael Cheika ’s 13-year coaching career include guiding Randwick to first and second grade Premiership titles in 2004 and steering Irish Province Leinster to Celtic League success in 2008 and a first ever Heineken Cup title in 2009.
Born in Sydney, the 45-year-old says he is proud to have been chosen to take charge of the HSBC Waratahs.
“The opportunity to coach the Super Rugby team of my home state and the responsibility to make all our supporters and all people from NSW proud of their team is one that motivates me immensely.
“I am really looking forward to being part of this new era in NSW rugby and will bring all the passion and professionalism I have to make this team one everyone will be proud of.
“My immediate goal is to establish our identity loud and clear, inside and outside of the team; who we are, how we are going to play the game and what we are prepared to do to earn the respect of our team mates, our supporters and our competitors, as individuals and as a team.
“By achieving this we will earn the right to think about getting some good results.”
After impressing the panel consisting of David Mortimer (Sydney University President), Al Baxter (Waratahs Rugby Director), Jason Allen (Waratahs Rugby CEO) and Roger Davis (Waratahs Rugby Chairman), Michael will join the HSBC Waratahs on October 1, 2012.
Highly regarded within the NSW rugby community, the former No. 8 spent 14 seasons with Randwick, playing over 300 games for the club and winning seven Shute Shield Premiership titles between 1985 and 1999, captaining the side in his last two seasons. After launching his coaching career in Italy, where he spent a year as head coach of Series A side Petrarca Rugby, Cheika returned the Galloping Greens, where his three-year tenure culminated in the club achieving both first and second grade Premiership titles in 2004.
Moving to Europe, he spent five years at the helm of Irish Province Leinster, guiding them to five successive top-three Magners League finishes, including a Celtic league title in 2008. Aided by his then-assistant Alan Gaffney, in 2009 he led Leinster to a first ever Heineken (European) Cup title with an historic 19-16 win over English champions Leicester Tigers, helped by a man of the match performance from Rocky Elsom and a drop goal from inspirational Ireland captain Brian O’Driscoll. He has spent the past two seasons as director of rugby with French Top 14 side Stade Francais.
NSW rugby fans can still secure a seat to see the HSBC Waratahs play the British & Irish Lions Tour match next June by buying a 9 Game Membership package today at [URL='http://www.waratahs.com.au/membership.[/QUOTE']www.waratahs.com.au/membership[/URL].

Source: http://www.nswrugby.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/157/ArticleID/7679/Default.aspx

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Good luck to Cheika. He's done well in his career since he coached Randwick and his stint at Leinster is revered over there.

He's going to need some luck. There is a whiff of Stade Francais about the Waratahs and neither McKenzie nor Cheika could push the shit uphill in Paris.

We've been here before haven't we? One day, one of the changes is going to work. Let's hope it is with this coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.