• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
As some members of the board which made the decision to not to renew Ewen’s contract are still there, it would be pretty unlikely that he would be re-appointed or accept without significant changes to Tahs HQ.

Besides, I would be wary of offering carte blanche to any incoming coach like the NRL Eels gave Stephen Kearney. His term as head coach of the Eels has been a disaster. It was astonishing that he was given so much control for someone in their first NRL head coaching role…probably a bad reflection on the Eels board/management that allowed this to happen.

As an aside, what has happened to the Eels should be taken as a cautionary tale. In the late 2000s, significant changes to the Eels’ administration and board were undertaken. The long standing CEO was removed in 2009. The head coach was replaced at the end of season 2010 after taking the team to a grand final in 2009. Since then their results have been 14th out of 16 teams in 2011 and in 2012, they are currently running last.

So although most Tah fans would like to see change, it would have to be something for the better, otherwise we could end up another Parramatta.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
On the flip side, the Reds are a prime example of what a well-orchestrated and thoughtful organizational transformation can achieve. And that was driven by the coach as much as anyone. What bothers me about the Waratahs is that they so often seem more interested in the appearance of action and reform than in their substance.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
On the flip side, the Reds are a prime example of what a well-orchestrated and thoughtful organizational transformation can achieve. And that was driven by the coach as much as anyone. What bothers me about the Waratahs is that they so often seem more interested in the appearance of action and reform than in their substance.

I was reading some old Internet articles about the Reds in 2009 today and it was only 12 months ago that Tony Rea was speaking out about the Brumbies culture.

I wonder what we'll be reading his time next year.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I wonder what we'll be reading his time next year.

Probably about how the Force has turned it all around with the new coach and the continued improvement of the Rebels while the Brumbies and Reds continue on their merry way. As for the Tahs, more talk from Tah HQ about inquiries, emergency board meetings and the usual spin about making any changes necessary after another mediocre performance. :(

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
After the successful hosting of the Wallabies test match Newcastle RU have expressed an interest in having Waratahs games. Come on Tahs you're the NSW Waratahs not the Sydney Tahs. Do it! A proper game not a trial game

‘‘It showed the Hunter is starved of top quality rugby games,’’ Payne said.

‘‘We will sit down with Hunter Business Chamber president Richard Anicich and CEO Kristen Keegan in the next fortnight and discuss a strategy.

‘‘Our first port of call will be the NSW Rugby Union in an attempt to get a Super 15 game here.

‘‘If the Waratahs don’t want to come we will go to the Brumbies and other provinces.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...-strong-claims-to-more-top-rugby/2582727.aspx

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whilst I would happily venture up to Newcastle on a Saturday night to watch a Tahs game and stay up there and make a night of it, it seems like a pretty unlikely proposition.

You would effectively have to give that game to members for free as you couldn't realistically charge a member for a seat at a ground 2 hours from the Football Stadium.

I wonder whether the potential financial return would be enough to be able to knock $50 or so off the price of every season membership?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
After the successful hosting of the Wallabies test match Newcastle RU have expressed an interest in having Waratahs games. Come on Tahs you're the NSW Waratahs not the Sydney Tahs. Do it! A proper game not a trial game

If only it were possible to transfer games retrospectively, p.T. I can think of a number of games this season that I would have been more than prepared not to have attended so that they could be played in front of the Novocastrians.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
They may have to take that game out of the membership package, but they then need to be smart and work out how to recoup that money with the game at Newcastle, without jacking up the price of tickets. Wagga Wagga council paid GWS $300k over 3 years to have a trial game there FFS.

I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere (despite the rain) on Tuesday. They were people who genuinely wanted to be at the game. There were none of the 'networkers' you can see at Tahs games who go there to met like minded chino wearing polo shirt boys and then talk through the whole match.

There were a tonne of country people at the Tuesday game. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the Tahs country week game in a regional centre?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere (despite the rain) on Tuesday. They were people who genuinely wanted to be at the game. There were none of the 'networkers' you can see at Tahs games who go there to met like minded chino wearing polo shirt boys and then talk through the whole match.

Ease up, nothing wrong with a nice paid of Chinos. ;)

Seriously though I think it's terrific rugby can attract the 'genuine country folk' and the 'networkers'. We are far from a one demographic sport.

were a tonne of country people at the Tuesday game. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the Tahs country week game in a regional centre?

^ This. ^

Hell if the NSW Waratahs played 2 trail games in the country and 1 regular season they would truly be the NSW Waratahs in name and not just in branding.

The crowds would be bigger too if it was a once in a year thing and not on a Tuesday, there'd be at least 1 or 2 thousand willing to make a day trip of it. Saturday/Sunday afternoon footy in the country once a year, I've gone to see games like that.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think it's a good idea, but it would take some serious cash from somewhere (Newcastle City Council?) to get it done. Members would be pretty pissed off. Of the 8 home games, 2 would be at ANZ (not generally popular with members) and then 1 at Newcastle. 5 games at the SFS would shit a lot of members to tears. Would it be worth it anyway? Probably. Will member anger be an impediment to it happening? Definitely.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
En_force_er, nothing against chinos or people who wear them ;) I just dislike going to game and having the people near me talk through the whole thing about everything except the game. I guess its another person through the turnstile. I don't mind their girlfriends coming to the game though :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it's a good idea, but it would take some serious cash from somewhere (Newcastle City Council?) to get it done. Members would be pretty pissed off. Of the 8 home games, 2 would be at ANZ (not generally popular with members) and then 1 at Newcastle. 5 games at the SFS would shit a lot of members to tears. Would it be worth it anyway? Probably. Will member anger be an impediment to it happening? Definitely.

This could probably only work after the ANZ deal is finished and we can reduce that to one game or preferably no games.

If it was 6 games at SFS (and hopefully 2 on Sunday), 1 at ANZ and 1 in Newcastle it could work.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
we'll I'll drive those cranky bastards up to the Hunter Valley and have lunch at one of the many top restaurants in the region followed by an afternoon of wine tasting. I'll then drive them to their hotel for a nap before the game. Take them to the game, back to their hotel. After a leisurely breakfast we can go back to wine tasting or sample the cheeses etc. from the region. I think that'd be a pretty good weekend once a year!
If the Tahs faithful want the the tough buggers to play rugby for NSW, they need to better connect with the Country regions.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Absolutely but the issue is the use ANZ, not the country rugby.

En_force_er, nothing against chinos or people who wear them ;) I just dislike going to game and having the people near me talk through the whole thing about everything except the game. I guess its another person through the turnstile. I don't mind their girlfriends coming to the game though :)

We're loving the emoticons today haha.

Yeah I'm really prone to nattering a lot during games, always about rugby but I find I get a lot more rugby watching done alone with my telly than when I go to a game with my mates.

Nothing wrong with ladies at the rugby but down in Victoria you hear a lot of them saying stuff like "is this a scrum?" at line out time. Actually scratch that, the blokes aren't much better.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
we'll I'll drive those cranky bastards up to the Hunter Valley and have lunch at one of the many top restaurants in the region followed by an afternoon of wine tasting. I'll then drive them to their hotel for a nap before the game. Take them to the game, back to their hotel. After a leisurely breakfast we can go back to wine tasting or sample the cheeses etc. from the region. I think that'd be a pretty good weekend once a year!

That sounds lovely. Count me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.