• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The Tahs should look at Sean Doyle who is doing a fantastic job captaining Southern Districts at the top of the Shute Shield table atm, he's a real hard hitting 6/7 with a big engine.

Do we have any back row spots

Mccutch
Hooper
Alcock
Paul
Dennis
L.timani
Already signed.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So if we've re-signed McKibbin for two more years, have Pretorius for another year and the rumours are true that we've signed Matt Lucas, presumably that means Grayson Hart will be dropped out of the EPS group.

I wonder if Lucas will be an EPS player or on a full contract?

Strange to have 3 nines in a "30"

Absolute speculation but I wonder if Pretorius is pleased to be bench warming so much and I wonder if the Tahs reckon he is value for money.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Strange to have 3 nines in a "30"

Absolute speculation but I wonder if Pretorius is pleased to be bench warming so much and I wonder if the Tahs reckon he is value for money.
Is it possible they know he is looking around?But why get another 9 in any event. They have Hart in the EPS, Merriman in the Academy and then there is Donlan from the Rats in the shadows somewhere as well.
It's fucking raining 9's and we are still shopping for more!?

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
10 is what we should be worried about... Or playing Foley at. One of the two.
I know we have a problem in the team but I'm not sure replacing a Test player with one who hasn't played 10 at this level is the answer just yet.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I know we have a problem in the team but I'm not sure replacing a Test player with one who hasn't played 10 at this level is the answer just yet.

Such was the argument used against Larkham taking the 10 in 1998. Indeed there were many who didn't want him selected at all prefering either Burke or Latham at 15 where Larkham was playing for the Ponies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

This quote belongs in the "what's wrong with the Tahs" thread

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Such was the argument used against Larkham taking the 10 in 1998. Indeed there were many who didn't want him selected at all prefering either Burke or Latham at 15 where Larkham was playing for the Ponies.

Exceptions don't prove rules. Because Kurtley Beale became so good should we blood all talented schoolboys players by starting them in Super rugby their first year out of school?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Exceptions don't prove rules. Because Kurtley Beale became so good should we blood all talented schoolboys players by starting them in Super rugby their first year out of school?

Foley is 22, not a "talented schoolboy" but a young talent who earned his place through strong play for Uni. Why not play him at 10? Yes, he still makes errors but that's why giving him a run for the last 2 games is wise. This season is already a disaster. A good coach would tell him -- go out there, try your hand, don't worry about mistakes. The Tahs need to salvage something from the season. IMO, blooding Foley at 10 is one of their options.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Foley is 22, not a "talented schoolboy" but a young talent who earned his place through strong play for Uni. Why not play him at 10? Yes, he still makes errors but that's why giving him a run for the last 2 games is wise. This season is already a disaster. A good coach would tell him -- go out there, try your hand, don't worry about mistakes. The Tahs need to salvage something from the season. IMO, blooding Foley at 10 is one of their options.
100% Agree and have thought this for some time.
Bernard Foley is a 10 not a 15, Barnes is not a 10, Halangahu is not a footballer.
Grow some nuts at the Waratahs and start setting up 2013 NOW.
Otherwise what purpose do the remaining games serve?

Richo

John Thornett (49)

Barnes is a good footballer but at Super level he's a better 12 than 10 (he might even be a better 15). He simply does not have the right style of play to be a championship 10. He's much better there in tests where there is more talent outside him and when a tighter, more conservative style of rugby is played.

Here are the 10s who have won in Super Rugby: Carlos Spencer, Andrew Mehrtens, Bernie Larkham, Dan Carter, Quade Cooper, Morne Steyn.

With the exception of Steyn, those guys are all world class 10s and Steyn is particularly suited to the Bulls style (and is a World Cup champion).

Whether Foley would ever be in a similar conversation we don't know. But at this point surely we do know that Barnes won't ever be.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Barnes is a good footballer but at Super level he's a better 12 than 10 (he might even be a better 15). He simply does not have the right style of play to be a championship 10. He's much better there in tests where there is more talent outside him and when a tighter, more conservative style of rugby is played.

Here are the 10s who have won in Super Rugby: Carlos Spencer, Andrew Mehrtens, Bernie Larkham, Dan Carter, Quade Cooper, Morne Steyn.

With the exception of Steyn, those guys are all world class 10s and Steyn is particularly suited to the Bulls style (and is a World Cup champion).

Whether Foley would ever be in a similar conversation we don't know. But at this point surely we do know that Barnes won't ever be.
Unless the Tahs do something like throw buckets of money at QC (Quade Cooper) they are unlikely to find a world class 10 so at present have to make do with what they have. Good enough for the wallabies on Tuesday.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)

When is the last time anyone has seen Barnes play well for NSW in any position?
For mine, play well means;
- Outplays his opponent
- Has a meaningful influence on the outcome of the game
- Lifted the performance of those around him
- Performs at or above expectations

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Unless the Tahs do something like throw buckets of money at QC (Quade Cooper) they are unlikely to find a world class 10 so at present have to make do with what they have. Good enough for the wallabies on Tuesday.

With the exception of one or two games, Barnes has been crap at 10 this season. Whethe he is "good enough for the Wallabies" is really beside the point. First, there is a marked difference between Test and Super Rugby. Second, he's been selected against Scotland and even then only because QC (Quade Cooper) is coming back from injury and Lilo is broken.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I mean, we could always just play Barnes for another season at 10 just to see if he really and truly is bad there for the Waratahs. A four-year sample is just that much more conclusive.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
With the exception of one or two games, Barnes has been crap at 10 this season. Whethe he is "good enough for the Wallabies" is really beside the point. First, there is a marked difference between Test and Super Rugby. Second, he's been selected against Scotland and even then only because QC (Quade Cooper) is coming back from injury and Lilo is broken.

I don't think signaling Barnes out is worth it, the entire back line (and I'm not excusing him from that) has been woeful , the play, the skills, the execution, the movement, if Barnes was in career best form he wouldn't have been able to do much with it,that said with his experience and skillset he has been unable to marshal those around him, that's been his major weakness.

Reactions: mjw

Richo

John Thornett (49)
WJ, you're right about the rest of the backs. Absolutely. All the things you mention have been crap and these issues need to be addressed.

But if we're talking about next season and what the Tahs need to contend, one of the key steps has to be a better solution at 10. This isn't "singling Barnes out" per se. It speaks to the importance of the 10 position. We now have two meaningless games in which to try Foley. Why is this a bad idea?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Barnes could be the 10 the Tahs need. So could Foley. Hewat could have been, so could Donnelly and a few others.

The problems do not reside with the playing group. There are a few issues there yes. But shuffling the players and scapegoating some like Carter will not change the fundamentals.

On another Thread I posted:-
1) The Tahs are not fit. (see Bruces lengthy posts on this fact and the results which show they fade badly in the back 15 of each half)
2) The tactics. They cannot decide if they want to kick or run or a combination of the two. They appear confused and lack a clear plan.
3) The selection. With regard to the tactics they select incorrectly to execute the game plan. Not on game day but when building the squad. Furthermore they select players they know to be unfit and unlikely to be fit for most of the season.
4) Captaincy. What a farce. Need it be explained.
5) Execution of basic skills. This is the very last point where it should be. Some players are clearly not developed in some of their core skills. These are indeed young players that haven't played much senior club footy. So where else are they going to hone these skills if not at the hands of a master coach at Super Level where they are now contracted? If said coaches cannot do it or do not have time these players are going to struggle. Into the execution equation comes the first four factors. If the first four are lacking the exceution will struggle in any event, and IMO that is what we have seen.

I would be extremely surprised if a thorough cleanout of Management and coaching and all support staff, with open invitations to all (except the board) to reapply for their jobs, did not achieve markedly better game play and finally results with the majority of this Squad remaining intact. There are only a couple of players who need to be moved on, and Tom Carter is not one of them IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.