• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Can't say if true I have any other response but "meh" I have a lot of time for berrick, he is a great bloke and I think he is a fantastic player, unfortunately his fantastic performances for NSW have been quite sparse. If he feels the need to move on I hope he finds somewhere better suited to him.

Id love seeing him play 12 inside Inman :)

Ath.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The ideal individual in my opinion to provide the sort of driving leadership that the Waratahs desperately need would be Alan Williamson, and preferably in an executive rather than non-executive capacity.

Ex-President of Eastern Suburbs; ex-member of the NSWRU Board; a CEO who has achieved extraordinary growth for a company operating in an extremely challenging environment. Alan does not tolerate fools, gladly or otherwise, and he is a superb negotiator, having had notable success in dealing with trade unions and Federal and State authorities.

He is just the sort of individual who would really shake the tree.

Bruce, I don't know this individual but I 100% endorse the thrust of you point.

For the QRU's revival, Rod McCall - a self-made businessman of some success on top of his rugby credentials - drove with absolute steel the whole, overall change process, and brought in Carmichael as CEO who's a highly ambitious leader (in a good sense) with a strong professional football sports background.

I keep on saying it as it has to be said: the core governance problem with these Australian state RU (and Tahs related) boards is that essentially they answer, and are accountable, in a serious and proper sense, to no one, and that is how they self-perpetuate and accrete introversion and self-regard. There are no shareholders per se assessing performance against measurable goals and that can sell their shares in protest at serious underperformance. The ARU - the master code franchisor - does not appoint or oversight these local boards and only interferes with them in odd, relatively sideline ways - like the salary cap - but will not intrude upon them or force management or board upgrades in a performance-assuring manner unless and until they send themselves to the wall, al la 2009 QRU. Then the ARU acts as lender of last resort to bail out a train wreck that any astute person could see coming years in advance of the final event.

The whole edifice is deeply flawed, and that's why it's only serious and near-terminal crisis within an RU that ever changes much.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Bruce, I don't know this individual but I 100% endorse the thrust of you point.

For the QRU's revival, Rod McCall - a self-made businessman of some success on top of his rugby credentials - drove with absolute steel the whole, overall change process, and brought in Carmichael as CEO who's a highly ambitious leader (in a good sense) with a strong professional football sports background.

I keep on saying it as it has to be said: the core governance problem with these Australian state RU (and Tahs related) boards is that essentially they answer, and are accountable, in a serious and proper sense, to no one, and that is how they self-perpetuate and accrete introversion and self-regard. There are no shareholders per se assessing performance against measurable goals and that can sell their shares in protest at serious underperformance. The ARU - the master code franchisor - does not appoint or oversight these local boards and only interferes with them in odd, relatively sideline ways - like the salary cap - but will not intrude upon them or force management or board upgrades in a performance-assuring manner unless and until they send themselves to the wall, al la 2009 QRU. Then the ARU acts as lender of last resort to bail out a train wreck that any astute person could see coming years in advance of the final event.

The whole edifice is deeply flawed, and that's why it's only serious and near-terminal crisis within an RU that ever changes much.
Your are spot on -- your point about no shareholders and not being answerable to anyone goes for the ARU too.
There is (at least) one person with business runs (as I understand it) on the board in NSW and the credentials in rugby (a team mate of McCall) who if he were interested would be a similar style, i think, and has the capacity to galvanise support, i think.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

• Broadcaster 702ABC Sydney at Australian Broadcasting Corporation
  • Senior reporter at Fairfax Media
  • Political reporter, columnist at The Age. newspaper
  • Reporter and columnist at The National Times/Times on Sunday
  • Reporter and Columnist at The Sun
  • Reporter and columnist at The Courier-Mail
  • Reporter and news reader at Channel 10
  • Consumer reporter and columnist at The Daily News
  • Reporter, columnist at The Australian

Isn't this the sort of stuff (bolded) you leave off your CV?

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
bruce - in future if you need to make further apologies to Mr.Pandaram, feel free to do so by telling me and allowing me to pass the messege on as i believe to be his custom.
While this is quite funny, before an innocent mans reputation is tarnished it should be pointed out that jamie pandaram did not make the request

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
While this is quite funny, before an innocent mans reputation is tarnished it should be pointed out that jamie pandaram did not make the request

I can fully understand why Jamie Pandaram would not have personally come to this forum to raise his objections to being misrepresented. I can also understand why people object to being the subject of satire - which is not to say that I intend to discontinue practising the craft. Fortunately most of my targets choose to ignore me or are unaware of me.

I think it was quite in order for barbarian to pass on the feelings of people at the Telegraph. He also sent me a personal message alerting me to the situation which I appreciate.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
she is not on the board of directors - follow the link:http://ccamatil.com/ABOUTCCA/Pages/BoardofDirectors.aspx

That Cv does not make you a good person for the board of any company

I agree she isn't on the board, she is in charge of Media and Public Affairs for Coca Cola in Aus (director is her title), that is not a minor job.

Every board in Aus has an under representation of Woman

I struggle to why it is so bad to have a woman on the board with strong media/journo knowledge/skills/expertise.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My misgivings have got zero to do with the fact that she's a woman.
"Media and Public Affairs", writing newspaper articles and running a radio show is not a sound basis to sit on the board of a company that runs a professional sports outfit be they man or woman. As i said some time ago a person like that is appropriate on the non-professional outfit's board - where she started.
There are plenty of women with better qualifications in business and sport and even sport business. Hell there are even better qualified rugby community volunteers who could be appointed to the board.
I should also say that I didn't mind her radio show - but I live in the east, follow rugby and went to a private school (all of which is true of her): so I'm not the target demographic.

This looks like a better structured board to me:
http://www.melbournerebelscorporate.com.au/our-people/board-of-directors/

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the CEO is potentially more crucial to instilling the right rugby culture in the franchise.

Maybe we need a CEO with more of a rugby background. Jason Allen comes with a lot of business and sporting experience but seemingly little rugby.

Inside Shoulder: I think you are perhaps directing most of your replace the board venom towards Sally Loane because she is about the only member of the board that you know much about. It's almost like you'd be doubting her less if you knew less about her background.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
OK this thread has gone off the rails, and I have cleaned up a large amount of posts that took it into a completely different and totally irrelevant area.

Am also not too happy about the Sally Loane stuff either as it is dangerously close to the personal comments which we try to avoid here.

I suggest strongly that we abandon both topics (Loane and the Tele) and proceed with discussion of the Waratahs in 2013.

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
I think the CEO is potentially more crucial to instilling the right rugby culture in the franchise.

Maybe we need a CEO with more of a rugby background. Jason Allen comes with a lot of business and sporting experience but seemingly little rugby.
Jim Carmichael, the QRU CEO has a background in AFL. Maybe that is an area where the NSWRU should look when the position next becomes available.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Inside Shoulder: I think you are perhaps directing most of your replace the board venom towards Sally Loane because she is about the only member of the board that you know much about. It's almost like you'd be doubting her less if you knew less about her background.
it's not venom: my comments have been measured and entirely factual. My interst is in trying to reverse the tahs downward spiral.
She only got column inches because people defended her and made misstatements about her business background. Contrary to barbarians ridiculous statement there was nothing personal about it.
The reality is that someone like Baxter is a must.
I don't know the other 2 from a bar of soap and the rest have been present during the inexorable decline.
I don't see why if you want to get an organisation moving in a different direction you wouldn't start at the top, whatever their sex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
it's not venom: my comments have been measured and entirely factual. My interst is in trying to reverse the tahs downward spiral.
She only got column inches because people defended her and made misstatements about her business background.
The reality is that someone like Baxter is a must.
I don't know the other 2 from a bar of soap and the rest have been present during the inexorable decline.
I don't see why if you want to get an organisation moving in a different direction you wouldn't start at the top, whatever their sex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the Tahs have a culture problem and have for years, wouldn't Baxter have been a part if it? Why is he a must? Surely people from outside an organization would be better suited to turning it round?

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Heard word that Matt Lucas has signed a 2 year deal. He's Ben Lucas' little brother, and the same mould of player except more of a halfback then 10. Plays for Sunnnybank (QLD), National Academy and the 7's whilst he will go on his second Aus u20's trip later.

I hope that is not true. They are queenslanders thru and thru. Not happy Jan!

Status
Not open for further replies.