• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Lee - speculating the Tahs need 3 new backs, a prop and a second rower for next year, who do you think is worth investment in locally?

In regards to the few backs, theres a number of them putting their hand up in Club Rugby.
- Rohan Saifoloi
- Nicky Price
- Matt Schwager
- Michael Hodge
- Jesse Leota

Thats just a few of plenty more.

In regards to the prop position, IMO Jeremy Tilse has been great since being called up. Are there reports of him leaving the club ? I would keep him in the top squad and hand an EPS contract to a younger prop with Robinson, Kepu, Ryan still there the front row is the least of our worries.

However with Mumm leaving that leaves us in a big gap. Timani and Douglas look like starters relatively inexperienced also with Peterson having a year left on his contract. Earlier in the season Richard Stanford played trials you would think he will pick up the contract.

Thoughts ?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
In regards to the few backs, theres a number of them putting their hand up in Club Rugby.
- Rohan Saifoloi
- Nicky Price
- Matt Schwager
- Michael Hodge
- Jesse Leota

Thats just a few of plenty more.

In regards to the prop position, IMO Jeremy Tilse has been great since being called up. Are there reports of him leaving the club ? I would keep him in the top squad and hand an EPS contract to a younger prop with Robinson, Kepu, Ryan still there the front row is the least of our worries.

However with Mumm leaving that leaves us in a big gap. Timani and Douglas look like starters relatively inexperienced also with Peterson having a year left on his contract. Earlier in the season Richard Stanford played trials you would think he will pick up the contract.

Thoughts ?

Not many, I'm out of touch with grade these days, what positions do the players you mentioned play and what's your opinion of them?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Have a lot of respect for him coming out to say that he would be willing to take a step down for the good of the team. However I'm a big believer in a new head coach having the ability to put their own team in place.

But I still believe Foley should be given more time as head coach but also given the same option to pick his own back up team rather have management at the Tahs replace people and not give him a say in it. If he's at the Tahs next season as head coach he should be judged purely on results rather than KPIs.

An alternative to him being demoted is to bring someone in as director of rugby above him, but with him remaining head coach. This is a model that's worked well in Europe and it would allow Foley to concentrate on the area he's most passionate about, coaching.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
More like suggesting they demote him,not sack him.Sounds like he is putting it out there so the board has more than one option when they meet tonight.
Unfortunately the human side makes it a tough call. No doubt he has put his heart and soul into the joint this year, but on any measurement it has been a failure.
If the decision is to replace him, then the incumbent should decide his fate, not the board prior to any new coach being appointed.
If the board decides to punt him (which I believe they should) I wish him all the best and genuinely hope he gets another gig.

T

TOCC

I personally don't believe Foley is the problem.. I believe it to be a inherent problem which is just engrained in the philosophy of the Waratahs..

Im not going to advocate that i know all about the internal politics of the Tahs.. But i highly doubt that Foley was given free reign to pick the coaching and support staff that he really wanted, nor do i believe that he would be given free reign in the player recruitment/retention field or in general training and team strategies.

Both of which i believe where key platforms in the case of White and McKenzie building successful teams.. These two coaches obviously have the experience and clout to know/demand what they want, but they were also coming into programs with noticeable issues, so it was easy for them. Something which Foley wasn't given the opportunity to do.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I was chatting to an ex NSW/AUS hooker tonight and asked him what the problem was, his response "the Tahs are the oldest union but the youngest professional team" went on to say that until the Boards separated they wern't professional and it still isn't fully professional until the Tahs board doesn't answer to the NSWRU board.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Foley sounds like he's gone and he knows it.
It would be a move of uncharacteristic courage for the board to meet and not sack him. This is because if they confirm him suddenly the results are their responsibility too. so you can see the blazer boys ( and girl) sitting down with the thought, maybe even subconscious, that they didn't call this meeting cos there's nothing wrong and if there's something wrong they should change it: note - they don't think "fix it".
If so he is hardly a suitable candidate to remain given that his sacking is presumably justified in their mnds on the basis that he is the cause. Leaving him in an assistants role would be a recipe for calamitous disharmony: this probably means its exactly what will happen, given its the tahs (sarcasm).
Also if the culture is wrong he's part of it...but I guess the board would not recognize that as an issue.
Presumably they don't have a successor lined up.
When can a successor be appointed? How quickly can he get up to speed with the roster and what types of players in what positions he needs?
........2013 sounds like another rebuilding year: so if foley was ever the right choice he deserves a chance to do the rebuilding having taken the supporters into his and the tahs' confidence that 2013 will not be a championship year.
If he was never the right choice then the board and whoever recommended his appointment need to fall in their swords for the good of the tahs.
Neither will happen and so the circus will continue.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Foley sounds like he's gone and he knows it.
It would be a move of uncharacteristic courage for the board to meet and not sack him. This is because if they confirm him suddenly the results are their responsibility too. so you can see the blazer boys ( and girl) sitting down with the thought, maybe even subconscious, that they didn't call this meeting cos there's nothing wrong and if there's something wrong they should change it: note - they don't think "fix it".
If so he is hardly a suitable candidate to remain given that his sacking is presumably justified in their mnds on the basis that he is the cause. Leaving him in an assistants role would be a recipe for calamitous disharmony: this probably means its exactly what will happen, given its the tahs (sarcasm).
Also if the culture is wrong he's part of it...but I guess the board would not recognize that as an issue.
Presumably they don't have a successor lined up.
When can a successor be appointed? How quickly can he get up to speed with the roster and what types of players in what positions he needs?
........2013 sounds like another rebuilding year: so if foley was ever the right choice he deserves a chance to do the rebuilding having taken the supporters into his and the tahs' confidence that 2013 will not be a championship year.
If he was never the right choice then the board and whoever recommended his appointment need to fall in their swords for the good of the tahs.
Neither will happen and so the circus will continue.

I don't think they will sack/demote him unless they have secretly lined up another coach... These guys are all about protecting their arse. If they sack him without a suitable replacement, then they will be fingered as the ones responsible next time around...

Richo

John Thornett (49)
If they do sack him -- and I'm not in favour of mid-season sackings -- then whoever comes in should have carte blanche to clean out the coaching and support staff.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think they will sack/demote him unless they have secretly lined up another coach... These guys are all about protecting their arse. If they sack him without a suitable replacement, then they will be fingered as the ones responsible next time around...
true - but if they confirm him their arses replace his...what chance Cheika has been signed?

The Waratahs board held accountable? I should live so long.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So the current board is (as far as I know):

Edwin Zemancheff (Chairman)
Arvid Petersen
Sally Loane
Al Baxter
Ross Grant
Michael Miller

Who should be changed?

Who isn't doing a good job?

Who is being too controlling and not letting the coach make decisions?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but I don't accept the whole "sack the board" mentality. To make a big decision there needs to be reasons behind it and there need to be people who can take over the job who can do a better job than the current lot are doing.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Speculation, prediction, or inside knowledge?

got the info from a staff member but i did ask the right questions, Chieka has definately been in contact, confirmed, true. i asked if he was going to be confirmed as coach, got told i know more than them, asked if that meant it would happen during the test break, reply was "it would be a great time to make an announcement wouldnt it" so pure speculation with a sprinkle of truth.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Nicky Price reminds me of the Kiwi player Robbie Robinson, but he's fresh and pretty light.

Pace to burn and a bold attacking player, but I think he needs a couple more seasons under his belt. A lot of the Southern Districts players are worth having a look at though.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's astonishing how ill-informed rugby journos in this town really are. Jamie Pandaram, lured across from the Herald to the Terror because he was so impressed by Rupert's straight-faced enunciation of News Ltd's Charter of Ethical Journalistic Standards, is no exception. When they don't know they just make things up. Consider this paragraph this morning:

The Waratahs can't qualify for the finals and have therefore failed in part to live up to [CEO Jason] Allen's 10:3:1 plan to attain 10,000 members, $10 million in commercial revenue, make the finals for three straight seasons and become the No.1 Super Rugby organisation by 2013.

Looking at Jamie's list you wouldn't have to be an actuary to compute that 10,000 members, $10 million commercial revenue, finals for 3 straight seasons, and No.1 Super organisation would be a 10:10:3:1 plan not a 10:3:1 plan. As the Septics would say, "Do the math, Jamie." If you've got two red Cuisenaire rods, a blue one and a green one, how many rods do you have, Jamie? Four, not three, Jamie you thick-head. Kids learnt things like that a whole lot quicker when teachers were allowed to clip the stupid ones around the ears just for being stupid.

So because Jamie could never count the change in his pocket he became a journo. And thus it was fairly easy for some prankster to pull his chain with a truly absurd and hilarious set of KPIs for the 'Tahs. And Jamie published them. It wouldn't have happened back in the day when newspapers actually used sub-editors.

Bruce it has been requested that I point out to you that far from being a 'thick-head' as you so eloquently put it, Jamie Pandaram was taking that directly from the NSW annual report.

To quote directly from the president's report:

The 10:3:1 Business Plan aims to deliver $10M of sponsorship revenue and 10,000 members; see the team contest the Super Rugby finals in three consecutive years; and see Waratahs Rugby become the number one centre of excellence within the sport.

The full report is here, and you can find the quote on page 5.

I'd suggest in future treading a little bit more carefully before directing some pretty rough insults at journos.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Who is being too controlling and not letting the coach make decisions?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but I don't accept the whole "sack the board" mentality. To make a big decision there needs to be reasons behind it and there need to be people who can take over the job who can do a better job than the current lot are doing.
On what basis could anyone overrule the coach?
I don't think Foley is that weak that he would take directions from a faceless man.
I agree braveheart, what has anyone on the board done or failed to do that warrants their departure?
They have brought in a new CEO & a new coach, how they deal with these appointments will be a good measure of their abilities.
BTW anyone know how the CEO's 10 10 3 1 plan is going?

Status
Not open for further replies.