• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
His kicking was reasonable. He certainly had a few shockers but he wasn't too bad.

Realistically that should make him a decent enough kicker in rugby union (at least doing a drop punt). I certainly don't think he's going to resemble Wendell Sailor or Lote Tuqiri when kicking the football.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
More important than the names of the individuals in the backline is the way they will play the game.

Cheika has made all the right noises, but so did McKenzie, Hickey and Foley and their teams played dreary rugby year after year. One season they even scored the most number of tries in the comp but the crowd was still nodding off.

At least I can report that Cheika has them doing all the right things in training, from passing in front of the player, running onto the ball at speed as the pill is received, deception before the pass is passed/received not just afterwards - to running straight on reception.

But that is training only; let's see what happens when the money is on the table.

PS - Folau will do well to make a Waratah starting team early in the comp.

I'm not saying that because he's looked like a goose at training; he hasn't, but he has to learn the game first, especially the ying and yang of how the back three operate as a unit both with and without the ball - and getting over fear of the touchline which league players Tuqiri, Salior and Tahu had.

Reactions: mjw

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
That backline (a la Kevinsons) will probably need a lot of magic from Cheika to get it up to scratch. McKibben is a journeyman, and not the best in Shute Shield. Foley is still green and while I think he has the makings on a top player, he's not there yet and is likely to be tested at SXV level. Mitchell is probably a crock - when fit is one of the best, but injury has to be a real concern. Ditto Turner. Barnes can be expected to aimlessly kick the ball away at least 50% of the time. Not good for the outside backs. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will have few opportunities with Barnes at 12. Folau is unproven and at least early on will probably get found out in defence. I agree that he is unlikely to be in early season the starting lineup. Cheika has his hands full imo.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That backline (a la Kevinsons) will probably need a lot of magic from Cheika to get it up to scratch. McKibben is a journeyman, and not the best in Shute Shield. Foley is still green and while I think he has the makings on a top player, he's not there yet and is likely to be tested at SXV level. Mitchell is probably a crock - when fit is one of the best, but injury has to be a real concern. Ditto Turner. Barnes can be expected to aimlessly kick the ball away at least 50% of the time. Not good for the outside backs. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will have few opportunities with Barnes at 12. Folau is unproven and at least early on will probably get found out in defence. I agree that he is unlikely to be in early season the starting lineup. Cheika has his hands full imo.

Mitchell: you may be right.
Turner: he's at least one major injury away from being crocked so I'd reserve judgment on him. Big ticker and seems like a nice fellow.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Cheika would only use Tilse off the bench in a Super game.
He would replace Robinson with Kepu and bring in Ryan before elevating Tilse.
Is there any other Super rugby, one-team 8-9 season player like Tilse, who still wouldn't be considered as a starter by their coach?
with a second bench prop coming into effect this year there is a definite advantage in having a Tilse in the squad. Previously your reserve prop was a THP, but now you will have both, plus a hooker. Ryan, Tilse and Ulugia will probably be in the 23 each week (barring injury)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
What is his kick (as they say in AFL) like? Sheedy seemed to think it was good - but I'm not sure that a good drop punt with an AFL ball is actually a transferable skill?
Guess we'll find out this Sat'dy.

He's looked fairly decent with a rugby ball kicking from hand.

IMG_7297 10% 147.JPG

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is an awful lot more to playing fullback than kicking out of hand.

Folau will struggle with the positional demands.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
And if Folau struggles to make the mark, I guess we will just have to put Foley, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Turner, Mitchell, Hodge, Crawford or Barnes at fullback.
Very worrying indeed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I hope Betham is standing out at training.

It would be great to see him get the opportunity to expand on his breakthrough ITM Cup form.

Any reports on Betham Lee Grant?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He's looked fairly decent with a rugby ball kicking from hand.

View attachment 3179

A single, still photo is a dangerous thing but that doesn't appear to be a simple drop punt.
My mind is open.

Folau will struggle with the positional demands.

I'm open minded on this too: I'm not so sure that positional play at fullback is all its cracked up to be any more.
I think its at least a 3 man effort these days and he should get plenty of help from the other 2.
My main reason for doubting the significance of the fullback's sense of positional play is that if it was all down to the fullback's read there are so many long accurate kickers that no single man could ever be in position to cover all or even most of the options that a modern day kicker has.
The fact that the ball rarely bounces more than once suggests that the back 3 (plus the 10 and 9) are covering zones - no ones truly in position but no one's out of position either.
right or wrong we shall see shortly - he will be tested

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I hope Falou has an average game in the trials, no major highlights. Just solid. If he has any highlights the media and some fans will herald him as a messiah and he won't get the chance to develop properly.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I hope Falou has an average game in the trials, no major highlights. Just solid. If he has any highlights the media and some fans will herald him as a messiah and he won't get the chance to develop properly.

If the bloke has 1 touch in which he makes the advantage line people will call him the messiah.

In Tahu's first trial (I believe against a Fijian development side) he had 3 touches and 2 were decent, they sung his praises. In terms of the media Folau > Tahu (hopefully in terms of rugby ability too).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I hope Betham is standing out at training.

It would be great to see him get the opportunity to expand on his breakthrough ITM Cup form.

Any reports on Betham Lee Grant?

He's looking terrific, but training and playing in a match are two different things.

Put it this way: there is no indication that his good form in the ITM Cup, albeit in a lower level comp, has diminished.

I made a comment in the Rebels thread that most of the players they nominated for the game are either Super Rugby contracted players or EPS guys.

On the other hand the Tahs are using all of their invited players.

Just be aware that it may not be apples for apples.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
, especially the ying and yang of how the back three operate as a unit both with and without the ball - and getting over fear of the touchline which league players Tuqiri, Salior and Tahu had.

Spot on, this is so important,
I read somewhere recently positional play of a 15 isnt as important. It may have changed a little, but the importance has not diminished at all (increased in my eyes).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He's looking terrific, but training and playing in a match are two different things.

Put it this way: there is no indication that his good form in the ITM Cup, albeit in a lower level comp, has diminished.

I made a comment in the Rebels thread that most of the players they nominated for the game are either Super Rugby contracted players or EPS guys.

On the other hand the Tahs are using all of their invited players.

Just be aware that it may not be apples for apples.
Sounds like you're letting us down gently, uncle lee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Bit off topic but did many G&GRers get Tahs Lions tickets in the pre sale? Just snared me and some mates platinum seats. Will this game be a sell out?

Status
Not open for further replies.